1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best city for shopping?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by jpeirpont, Mar 5, 2004.

1. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I plan on some traveling soon.I want some input on where's the best metro's for men to shop.

2. Pink22m

Pink22m Senior member

The last time I checked, San Francisco and Los Angeles were not suburbs of each other. Give both cities their own choices.

3. T4phage

T4phage Senior member

No Italian cities?? Milan? Rome? I did not know Sydney was such a hotbed of men's style [​IMG] ..

4. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

Was only allowed ten so I grouped San Fran and L.A together I'm quite aware they arent even all that close to each other.
    How did I forget Italy thats a huge overlook.I threw sydney in just to throw a Austailian city in but on second thought it wasn't that smart.

5. The_Foxx

The_Foxx Senior member

I don't think there is any place in the world like new york city; it really feels like the "center of the universe." Problem is, the prices and taxes are very high-- you'd be better off shopping in Milan or Rome, I think, to get a better bang for your buck.

6. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I forgot to add my two cents.I'll admit I'm not well traveled.But from the cities on the list, NY definitely has the best shopping.Has something for everyone and every well know brand/ designer has a store there.Plus the best opportunitys for discouts.

7. VMan

VMan Senior member

I'll lay it down for Chi-Town.  Maybe I'm just partial because I live an hour and a half away, but they offer 90% of the big stores NY does (Neiman Marcus, Barney's, Saks, Gucci, Zegna, Ferragamo, Prada, Giorgio Armani, Hermes, Bvlgari, Cartier) as well as many smaller specialty stores.  They also have a good selection of discount stores.

Also, on a side note, I went to the Marshall Field's on State St. in Chicago last weekend.  I was so surprised.  The best brands the M.Fields near my house carries are Polo RL, Joseph Abboud, and Kenneth Cole.  Those were the cheapest brands I saw at this Field's.  Great Selection of brands like Helmut Lang, Marc Jacobs, Varvatos, Armani, Boss, Dolce & Gabbana, D&G, Diesel, PDC, DSquared2, and many other top names.  They also had many nice clearance racks at 40-60% off.

**Edit** An older salesman told me this is the largest retail clothing store in the world. 2 Million+ square feet and seven huge floors. He said with the exception of Harrods, it is the largest department store in the world.

8. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

I was torn between the Big Apple and the Big Onion, but I'm more familiar with New York, so my vote went that way.

9. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

for sheer selection, new york gets the nod. but... i had to throw in a vote for l.a./san francisco (i'm biased).

if you're looking for unknown, do-it-yourself  designers (who are actually hoping to create trends, rather than following them) l.a.'s the place. forget barneys and saks, and forget rodeo drive. i'm talking about silver lake, west hollywood, even mid-wilshire and santa monica. try the stores you've never heard of with labels you've never heard of that have truely innovative styles.

10. matadorpoeta

matadorpoeta Senior member

11. itzamazing

itzamazing Senior member

I always thought that Macy*s Herald Square held that title.

They used to have a huge poster outside the store proudly proclaiming itself as the world's largest department store.

12. NavyStyles

NavyStyles Senior member

It's a nickname for Chicago. Â When the city was founded, there were swamps in the surrounding areas. Â These swamps supported a type of onion called Checagou by the natives. The word supposedly also means "something great."

13. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Agreed. For anyone in the L.A. area, check out the Charizmatik store (far east Melrose) for T's, and Grey Ant for laid back zaniness (if that makes any sense.) Actually, Barney's on Wilshire actually sometimes stocks some local designers in it's Co-op section, if you want some fashion-fascist stamp of approval, as does Traffic in the Beverly Center. A lot of L.A. stuff is very DIY with a rock-and-roll feel - think Margiela's artisanal pieces, but with the volume turned all the way to eleven - and you've got the idea for say, Great China Wall.

Incidentally, if you want to check out some innovative labels in the SF area, definitely visit fabric8.com.

14. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

I just read an article along the line of this subject in the Economist. It was a survey on the fashion industry.
    It wasn't the same because it was more from a business aspect. In the survey they determined that Paris was above N.Y and Milan because it housed headquarters for more prestige's fashion houses or companies. Considering the fact that LMVH and the owner of the Gucci group are headquartered there it makes sense

15. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

I know, I went to that place a few months ago. It's amazing how huge it is - took me nearly a year to get to the men's section.

16. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

I know that London is quite amazing, as is Paris, for shopping. And I have been told (was there only for one day, so I did not get a chance to indulge) that Tokyo is truly amazing when it comes to shopping. Hong Kong should also get a nod. But, the winner is NYC.

Most companies (especially those of the small, family based ultra-haute European goods kind) usually have at least one store (or "˜general store') that carries their merchandise. Just the sheer availability and selection is known the world over. RL on Madison carries almost every item in almost all sizes and available colors, not even the Chicago, Boston, Palm Beach, or Dallas stores have that selection.

As much I like Bal Harbour or Worth Ave, Manhattan just blows them away.

Jon.

17. FIHTies

FIHTies Senior member Affiliate Vendor

If you are looking for bang for your buck its really gonna make a difference as to how the currencies are doing. For example, you have to be either fabulousely wealthy or a little bit insane to spend dollars in Europe now or any time in the last year. Europeans get the better end of the deal, but admitedly you can get anything in NYC and if you are diligent enough for almost any range of prices.

NYC gets my vote.

PS: When I am in italy its all business and I dont get a chance to shop.

18. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I have a friend in Chicago who says there is a limited selction of high end fashion there.

S.F. isn't terrible as they do have a Neimans, Saks, Gucci, Prada, Wilkes Bashford but Bally, Fendi, Dunhill, etc are missing.

From what it seems Tokyo would offer the most comprehensive selection. From the Hermes megastores to obscure lines such as Delvaux the city has everything. As well as the independent labels.

19. imageWIS

imageWIS Senior member

Actually, you can save on taxes by having the item shipped to your house instead of taking it with you, regardless if you are shopping in the EU or inside the US; there are no taxes when items are shipped intrastate. UPS Ground will cost about $4.50 for a 1 lbs shipment, the tax on a $700 RLPL cashmere sweater will be way more than $4.50, in say NYC.

Jon.

20. Sevcom

Sevcom Senior member

Doesn't this apply only if the store has no locations in your state? At least from what I've observed, ordering from Neiman Marcus or the Gap and having it delivered to a NJ address incurs no tax, but having it sent to a Georgia address rings up sales tax.

I've bought things from Bergdorf/Barneys in-store only, so I've never tested this.