• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Chopin pianist?

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Krystian Zimerman is really something else when it comes to Chopin. Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli (Italian, obviously) made some of the most beautiful Chopin recordings I've ever heard...definitely poetic.

Then, of course, there is the grand master. Vladimir Horowitz. While I think he did Scarlatti best, his Chopin is out of this world.

We need Koji to comment
bigstar[1].gif

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Some of my faves:

Kapell
Lipatti
Cortot
Friedmann
Rubinstein
Horowitz
Rubinstein
Malcuzyinski
Hofmann
Gilels

koji

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I am a complete naif in this area, but what are your thoughts on Pollini?

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I am a complete naif in this area, but what are your thoughts on Pollini?

I loved Pollini's playing early in his career (I have some etudes of his recorded live at the age of 14 and they're stunning--much better than his sterile studio recording), but for some reason, perhaps after studying with Michelangeli and wishing to emulate that type of playing, became very cold and boring for me. The last time I heard him live in nyc was a major disappointment. (Manton will vigorously disagree with me here).

koji

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had to pick one it would be Rubenstein. As an added bonus, many of his recordings are now being remastered and issued in superior sound.

I also like Kissin and Moravec.

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr. Checks
If I had to pick one it would be Rubenstein. As an added bonus, many of his recordings are now being remastered and issued in superior sound.

Since you like Ruby, I would highly recommend you get the Kapell volume from the complete RCA set with the Mazurkas and 2nd and 3rd sonatas; Kapell modeled his Chopin very much on that objective Rubinstein style, but with better technique.

koji

Manton

RINO
Reaction score
Pollini's Chopin is a little cold. It's one of the rare cases where I agree with the widespread criticism of Pollini. But his 1977 recording of the Beethoven late sonatas is my personal favorite marriage of performer and composer. Perfect!

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
23294.jpg

Any fans of Chopin would enjoy this movie. High camp, but extremely entertaining. Soaring, musical score . . .

Dmax

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Athur Rubinstein is my favorite.
54du5.jpg

Thracozaag

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ivan Kipling
23294.jpg

Any fans of Chopin would enjoy this movie. High camp, but extremely entertaining. Soaring, musical score . . .

Paul Muni is my favorite actor, period.

koji

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Manton
Pollini's Chopin is a little cold. It's one of the rare cases where I agree with the widespread criticism of Pollini. But his 1977 recording of the Beethoven late sonatas is my personal favorite marriage of performer and composer. Perfect!

Complete agreement on the late Beethoven sonatas.

For Chopin, though, I recently re-visited Argerich's '65 recital and was hooked.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Staff online

Forum statistics