Best Chopin pianist?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by imageWIS, Sep 24, 2006.

1. designprofessor

designprofessor Senior member

Paul Muni is my favorite actor, period.

koji

No votes for Hugh Grant[​IMG]

2. Thracozaag

Thracozaag Senior member

No votes for Hugh Grant[​IMG]

I will give Julian Sands credit for his Liszt.[​IMG]

koji

3. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Perhaps Stefan Askenase on the old Deutsche Grammophon lps.

4. Ivan Kipling

Ivan Kipling Senior member

Thracozaag . . . Mr. Muni was a wonderful actor. The man who played Chopin, was Cornel Wilde.

5. metaphysician

metaphysician Senior member

Complete agreement on the late Beethoven sonatas.

For Chopin, though, I recently re-visited Argerich's '65 recital and was hooked.

I've never understood the praise heaped on Argerich; she makes Chopin sound like Rachmaninov and seems to rush everything. I recently compared her LSO disc of Chopin's first piano concerto (coupled with Liszt's first, a pre-Indian Summer Abbado conducting) and her performance of the Liszt doesn't compare to Richter's, who played like the music was written for him. She's a great talent, to be sure, but with the abundance of audio wealth put out by the record companies there's no need to settle for her interpretation in anything unless you take to her pianism (which I don't).

Pollini's recording of Schoenberg's piano output (recently reissued on DG with the piano concerto thrown in for good measure) really shows him in his element.

6. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

[​IMG]lène Grimaud what what?

7. Thomas

Thomas Senior member

I've never understood the praise heaped on Argerich; she makes Chopin sound like Rachmaninov and seems to rush everything. I recently compared her LSO disc of Chopin's first piano concerto (coupled with Liszt's first, a pre-Indian Summer Abbado conducting) and her performance of the Liszt doesn't compare to Richter's, who played like the music was written for him.

I know Argerich is a polarizing figure, and I'm also not classically trained so I know I'm a bit out of my element. I favor the impetuous, rushed quality, to a degree, and marvel at her pianism, which is very likely exercised at the expense of the composer's intentions for a piece. I find it exciting and sometimes more accessible, and a great antidote to the morning blahs.

The first classical recording I heard that I liked was the Russian Sailor's Dance, conducted by Ormandy, and the finale was faster and more vigorous than anything I had ever heard. It made me realize that classical music isn't just for old ladies in the parlor, but is a vibrant, living force. Argerich's best work gives me that same impression and for that reason I am a fan.

8. clarinetplayer

clarinetplayer Senior member

Of living pianists, I would keep my eye (and ear) on Quebec pianist, David Jalbert. On the radio, it must have been the CBC, I heard his recording of a Chopin Nocturne. Very enchanting. He has just released a recording of all of Faure's Nocturnes.

9. mistahlee

mistahlee Senior member

Rubinstein.

BTW, this week I heard Van Cliburn play Tchaikovsky 1. Pretty dismal. One of his encores was the A-Flat Polonaise. A smidgen better.

10. metaphysician

metaphysician Senior member

Rubinstein.

BTW, this week I heard Van Cliburn play Tchaikovsky 1. Pretty dismal. One of his encores was the A-Flat Polonaise. A smidgen better.

Van Cliburn's is such a sad story. I heard Joyce Yang play the Tchaikovsky 1 recently in Washington and she's earned the hype and expectation surrounding her (maybe she can overtake Bang Bang in a couple of years?). I bought her CD at intermission; the recording of Carl Vine's piano sonata is thrilling.

11. mistahlee

mistahlee Senior member

Joyce Yang ... I bought her CD at intermission; the recording of Carl Vine's piano sonata is thrilling.

Just ordered it. Thanks.

12. paulchiu

paulchiu New Member

he's certainly not the best, but my favorite chopin pianist is my son...

paul
    nyc

13. Artisan Fan

Artisan Fan Suitsupply-sider

I have to defer to Koji on this one, but Earl Wild has done some good work.

14. sho'nuff

sho'nuff grrrrrrrr!!

I like Adam Neiman's interpretations of Chopin. very passionate about playing AND lecturing about Chopin's music.

15. tokmik

tokmik New Member

I always loved Phillipe Entremont the best. First time I ever heard Chopin (when I was about 4 years old) he was the one playing on my grandma's record player and I've been fascinated ever since. He does a pretty good version of Tchaikovsky's piano concerto no.1 as well. Dallas piano lessons