Best Chocolates in the World??

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by big_kev, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Teger

Teger Senior member

The only 'candy' chocolate I like are M&Ms, and then only a few at a time.

thanks for sharing, we were wondering

+1 on burdicks

also I kind of like leondias in the 'want 1-2 pieces for cheap' way

2. why

why Senior member

I kind of like leondias in the 'want 1-2 pieces for cheap' way

Thanks for sharing, we were wondering.

3. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

I really, really, like Burdick Chocolates (www.burdickchocolate.com), which opened a shop in NYC recently. gdl, you ought to go there and check it out. It's near CEGO. The flavors profiles are complex, but they have a good sense of restraint. If you don't live in New Hampshire, in the Boston area, or in NYC, they will Fedex the stuff to you. It's worth it. I would put them up against any of the boutique chocolatiers in Europe. They are definitely a step above anything else I've found in the States.
    I'll definitely give Burdick a try, the cafe pastry menu looks very good too.

4. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

. I find Leonidas and Godiva generally pretty awful.

I am not big on chocolates, but I know people who think that neuhouse is much better than leonidas.

5. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

If you are looking for something local, I know someone who is a chocolate connoisseur and he recommends Moonstruck Chocolate in Portland. http://www.moonstruckchocolate.com.

6. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I am not big on chocolates, but I know people who think that neuhouse is much better than leonidas.

I agree with that. Out of the big guys, Neuhaus is much better than Leonidas or Godiva.

7. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I agree with that. Out of the big guys, Neuhaus is much better than Leonidas or Godiva.

there is a place around the corner from my house that is a 30 year old artisan shop - the origional owner spent a few years in Belgium studying chocolate making and they turn out some very good stuff. I agree that the really good stuff usually comes out of places like that - a small shop of a handful of fanatics.

8. romafan

romafan Senior member

Of those available in NYC, I like Marcolini and Debauve & Gallais the most. Maison du Chocolat is also pretty good. I find Leonidas and Godiva generally pretty awful.

where does one find these (marcolini, d&g) in nyc? have you tried the the guy from dumo (j. torres?)? there is a place in soho that people also talk about (something like 'sees'). the only stuff i have tried are these places downtown: christopher norman on new st. (fancy schmancy) & evelyn's on john (boardwalk-like). i liked them both....

http://www.christophernormanchocolates.com/

http://evelynschocolates.com/aboutus.html

9. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

where does one find these (marcolini, d&g) in nyc?
    Marcolini is midtown. D&G is further up on Mad (never visited the NY store but often bring back some chocolates from Paris)

Kee's on Thompson St?

10. romafan

romafan Senior member

Marcolini is midtown. D&G is further up on Mad (never visited the NY store but often bring back some chocolates from Paris)

Kee's on Thompson St?

kee's, yes, that's it.

* 2 xmas mailings chocolatealmondy things we get regularly: enstrom's toffee & andre's chocolate-covered almonds. good stuff...

11. MrDaniels

MrDaniels Senior member

12. coldarchon

coldarchon Senior member

I'm curious, is a best chocolate, like this pierre marcollini, something that would appeal to everyone who tries it, or do these chocolates require some sort of 'sophisticated' palate?

it's a question of which cocoa bean they use. there's a huge difference between industrial used and those used by a chocolatier. the industrial ones probably get the seeds by monsanto, the "individualists" use cocoa beans which have more genes of the original wilder plant ..

13. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

Godiva is tolerable, it's basically a mall brand trying to pass as a Madison Ave. brand. D&G is on 69th off SW corner of Madison.

14. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

If you are looking for something local, I know someone who is a chocolate connoisseur and he recommends Moonstruck Chocolate in Portland. http://www.moonstruckchocolate.com.

I'll probably visit this summer. I'll be sure to try - always looking for new, good, stuff.

15. Dragon

Dragon Senior member

For pure chocolate/cacao flavor I think Noka is good. For the stuff with nuts and all that stuff inside I like Jean Paul Hevin. (not a chocolate connoisseur, so don`t know much though).