1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best Chocolates in the World??

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by big_kev, Jan 6, 2010.

1. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

Of those available in NYC, I like Marcolini and Debauve & Gallais the most. Maison du Chocolat is also pretty good. I find Leonidas and Godiva generally pretty awful.
    Leonidas and Godiva are like the Jos. A. Banks of chocolatiers. Ghiradelli's is like the Men's Wearhouse. I actually prefer See's to either. Those are straight up, honest, American styled chocolates that don't have any pretensions. For straight up chocolate, el rey and callebaut are nice. Marcolini is good, but some of their flavor profiles are a little simple. Vosges is decent, but I find that sometimes, they fall in love with their crazy flavors sometimes (like bacon.) For truffles and the like though, honestly, if you can ship it all over the world and let it sit on the shelf for any amount of time, it's like dried pasta. They can only get so good. Good truffles should be kept at room temperature, and really last only last a couple of weeks. I really, really, like Burdick Chocolates (www.burdickchocolate.com), which opened a shop in NYC recently. gdl, you ought to go there and check it out. It's near CEGO. The flavors profiles are complex, but they have a good sense of restraint. If you don't live in New Hampshire, in the Boston area, or in NYC, they will Fedex the stuff to you. It's worth it. I would put them up against any of the boutique chocolatiers in Europe. They are definitely a step above anything else I've found in the States.

2. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I will check them out this weekend.

You didn't finish your sentence on Vosges !

3. nootje

nootje Senior member

as I can only stand pure chocolate (really dont like sweets), ill give a +1 for callebaut.. dont know about the sweeter varieties...

4. coachvu

coachvu Senior member

+1 I want to know this

Right now all I have available is Ghiradelli 86% midnight reverie, which Im sure chocolate snobs will laugh at, but I think its pretty good.

Id like to get something better without having to fly to Europe or spend $100.

Im in Virginia Beach FWIW

Try Scharffen Berger. I've seen it at nicer grocery stores.

5. LA Guy

LA Guy Opposite Santa Staff Member Admin Moderator

I will check them out this weekend.

You didn't finish your sentence on Vosges !

They have really good hot chocolate too, but it's really rich, and having a tasting plate + hot chocolate would be overkill. The espresso that use is decent. Not the best ever, but good. Go for that.

I am a huge chocolate snob, though I have to say that I like Reeses Peanut butter cups. The saltiness of the peanut butter cuts the cloying sweetness nicely.

6. whacked

whacked Senior member

Leonidas and Godiva are like the Jos. A. Banks of chocolatiers. Ghiradelli's is like the Men's Wearhouse. I actually prefer See's to either. Those are straight up, honest, American styled chocolates that don't have any pretensions.

I have to say that I like Reeses Peanut butter cups. The saltiness of the peanut butter cuts the cloying sweetness nicely.

I commend you for your good taste. [​IMG]

7. underwearer

underwearer Senior member

Try Scharffen Berger. I've seen it at nicer grocery stores.

Cool I ordered some 82% dark...Ill see if I can find some around here, maybe Harris Teeter

8. chronoaug

chronoaug Senior member

I second LA Guy's recommendation of La burdicks. Really fantastic stuff. I put it up against the best imported stuff i've had. Admittedly i haven't had everything but i've tried my fair share of nicer european companies, small US operations and some others. My favorites i've had ranked 2- El Rey http://www.chocolateselrey.com/ 3- Valhrona http://www.valrhona.com/ 4- Callebaut http://www.callebaut.com/ 1- burdicks http://www.burdickchocolate.com/ ??- Taza http://www.tazachocolate.com/ others that i can't think of at the moment. will try to remember and post them Taza is cool for one people may not be aware of. Made relatively close to me in somerville. They make mesoamerican style chocolate which is nice and they have a ton of different flavors. Their no frills cocoa ones are still fantastic. Really cool stone ground chocolate with a bit of a granular texture. I like the stuff a lot.

9. jkw

jkw Senior member

I'm a big fan of Charbonnel et Walker. You should be able to get them in Ireland.

I'm going to have to try Maison du Chocolat. I didn't know they had a shop here

10. why

why Senior member

The only 'candy' chocolate I like are M&Ms, and then only a few at a time.

11. Teger

Teger Senior member

The only 'candy' chocolate I like are M&Ms, and then only a few at a time.

thanks for sharing, we were wondering

+1 on burdicks

also I kind of like leondias in the 'want 1-2 pieces for cheap' way

12. why

why Senior member

I kind of like leondias in the 'want 1-2 pieces for cheap' way

Thanks for sharing, we were wondering.

13. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

I really, really, like Burdick Chocolates (www.burdickchocolate.com), which opened a shop in NYC recently. gdl, you ought to go there and check it out. It's near CEGO. The flavors profiles are complex, but they have a good sense of restraint. If you don't live in New Hampshire, in the Boston area, or in NYC, they will Fedex the stuff to you. It's worth it. I would put them up against any of the boutique chocolatiers in Europe. They are definitely a step above anything else I've found in the States.
    I'll definitely give Burdick a try, the cafe pastry menu looks very good too.

14. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

. I find Leonidas and Godiva generally pretty awful.

I am not big on chocolates, but I know people who think that neuhouse is much better than leonidas.

15. Scrumhalf

Scrumhalf Senior member

If you are looking for something local, I know someone who is a chocolate connoisseur and he recommends Moonstruck Chocolate in Portland. http://www.moonstruckchocolate.com.

16. gdl203

I am not big on chocolates, but I know people who think that neuhouse is much better than leonidas.

I agree with that. Out of the big guys, Neuhaus is much better than Leonidas or Godiva.

17. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

I agree with that. Out of the big guys, Neuhaus is much better than Leonidas or Godiva.

there is a place around the corner from my house that is a 30 year old artisan shop - the origional owner spent a few years in Belgium studying chocolate making and they turn out some very good stuff. I agree that the really good stuff usually comes out of places like that - a small shop of a handful of fanatics.

18. romafan

romafan Senior member

Of those available in NYC, I like Marcolini and Debauve & Gallais the most. Maison du Chocolat is also pretty good. I find Leonidas and Godiva generally pretty awful.

where does one find these (marcolini, d&g) in nyc? have you tried the the guy from dumo (j. torres?)? there is a place in soho that people also talk about (something like 'sees'). the only stuff i have tried are these places downtown: christopher norman on new st. (fancy schmancy) & evelyn's on john (boardwalk-like). i liked them both....

http://www.christophernormanchocolates.com/

http://evelynschocolates.com/aboutus.html

19. gdl203

where does one find these (marcolini, d&g) in nyc?
    Marcolini is midtown. D&G is further up on Mad (never visited the NY store but often bring back some chocolates from Paris)

Kee's on Thompson St?

20. romafan

romafan Senior member

Marcolini is midtown. D&G is further up on Mad (never visited the NY store but often bring back some chocolates from Paris)

Kee's on Thompson St?

kee's, yes, that's it.

* 2 xmas mailings chocolatealmondy things we get regularly: enstrom's toffee & andre's chocolate-covered almonds. good stuff...