• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Chocolate Cake . . .

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the absolute finest chocolate cake that I've ever tasted. Make no substitutions. Have all ingredients and utensils, at room temp. Mix eggs lightly, before adding to butter / sugar mixture. Don't overbeat. Watch your oven! The instant your cakes shrink from the sides of their pans, they are baked! Invert at once onto greased wax paper, set onto racks. Do NOT allow your cakes to 'cool,' inside their baking pans. They will continue to cook, and harden. My suggestions, for frosting: caramel, chocolate fudge, peanut butter chocolate.
Have fun:
scan0004-3.jpg

scan0005-6.jpg

m4216d.jpg
. . . finished product.

migo

Reaction score
best I've ever tasted is at a diner in Jersey at 4am after a hard night of rolling.

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whatever you say, migo . . . but if you're ever in the mood, to bake: try this recipe.
honger.gif
scan0006.jpg
. . . sprinkle coffee dust, on top.

Sabrosa

Reaction score
By chance, do you have the frosting recipe that they mention as well?

Ivan Kipling

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's the Rich Vanilla Buttercream Frosting:
4 large eggs
1 cup sugar (7 ounces)
2 teaspoons vanilla extract (I use coffee liqueur, or rum)
Pinch salt
1 pound unsalted butter, softened but still cool, each stick cut into quarters

Combine the eggs, sugar, vanilla, and salt in the bowl of a standing mixer; place the bowl over a pan of simmering water. Do not let the bottom of the bowl touch the water. whisking gently but constantly, heat the mixture until it is thin and foamy and registers 160 degrees on an instant-read thermometer

Beat the egg mixture at medium-speed until light, airy, and cooled to room temperature, about 5 minutes. Reduce the speed to medium and add the butter, one piece at a time. After adding half the butter, the buttercream may look curdled; it will smooth out with additional butter. Once all the butter is added, increase the speed to high and beat one minute, until light, fluffy, and thoroughly combined. The butter cream can be covered and refrigerated for up to five days.

Variation: Rich Coffee Buttercream Frosting

Dissolve 3 tablespoons instant espresso in 3 tablespoons warm water. Follow recipe for Rich Vanilla Buttercream Frosting, omitting the vanilla and beating the dissolved coffee into the buttercream after the butter has been added.

Appointment for angioplasty: optional

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by migo
best I've ever tasted is at a diner in Jersey at 4am after a hard night of rolling.

Cake is a great snack after some heavy rolling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads