• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best chino recommendations?

Klemins

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all - I'm in the market for some new non-denim pants and would love some chino recommendations. A lot of the more mainstream brands look very similar (J Crew, Bonobos, etc) and thin, so trying to avoid them. Some styles I like are the Left Field duck work chino and Knickerbocker's twill chinos from this season, if you're familiar with those (both sold out in my size).

Anyone have recommendations or a go-to for casual non-denim pants? I prefer more of a straight/straight tapered to slim and would like something a bit heftier if possible, but am open-minded. I'm trying to not break the bank (e.g., <= $200) but will consider going higher if they look great.

Thanks for any help!

indigoeagle

Reaction score
I recently looked into it.
The RRL officer chinos in rigid are pretty good, sturdy fabric.
For straight repro oriented ones I'd recommend Colimbo, Buzz Rickson, Deluxeware, Pherrows and Two Moon. Wider ones are by Jelado, Full Count and Cushman.

What size are you looking for?

Terry Mac's 'Tache

Reaction score
I have had Akka Denim's selvedge chinos for a couple of years now. Very solid pairs and the price is excellent. The may not match the quality of Soundman, Cushman, et al but are one third of the price and have held up very well in my couple of years use so far.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
These fit right under that price limit, and are a good value. Also make them in straight fit. I tried them at Stag and loved them, but have half dozen RRL officer chinos, and just couldn't justify buying another pair.

indigoeagle

Reaction score
I have a new pair of Two Moon khaki chinos (westpoint) for sale.
They're W34, but fit smaller. I got myself the 36.
Two Moon Pants  3.JPG
Two Moon Pants  2.JPG

acconrad

Reaction score
Hi all - I'm in the market for some new non-denim pants and would love some chino recommendations. A lot of the more mainstream brands look very similar (J Crew, Bonobos, etc) and thin, so trying to avoid them. Some styles I like are the Left Field duck work chino and Knickerbocker's twill chinos from this season, if you're familiar with those (both sold out in my size).

Anyone have recommendations or a go-to for casual non-denim pants? I prefer more of a straight/straight tapered to slim and would like something a bit heftier if possible, but am open-minded. I'm trying to not break the bank (e.g., <= $200) but will consider going higher if they look great.

Thanks for any help!

Honestly I think a lot of this can be narrowed down by telling us about your silhouette and what aesthetic you're looking for.

As an example, I have huge thighs and short legs so funny enough, Bill's Khakis look great on me. They're typically a more ivy/prep old man khaki but on me they look way better than the standard SF recommendation of Incotex/Mabitex even if the quality is better.

quaranteneuf

Reaction score
I have pretty much this same conundrum. I have the Wallace & Barnes officer chinos, which are fine, but I've been living in my orSlow French work pants for most of the last two years and would love to find something in a similar silhouette and weight.

Leiker

Reaction score
I like Taylor Stitch; not sure the weight (8 oz. cotton) is what you're looking for, but they have a lot of other options including a duck fabric.

nb1820

Reaction score
Anyone know of any chinos with non-stretch cotton and a zip fly (ideally slim fit)?

Leiker

Reaction score
Anyone know of any chinos with non-stretch cotton and a zip fly (ideally slim fit)?

Comes in a slim fit as well.

nb1820

Reaction score

Comes in a slim fit as well.

Thanks! Much appreciated

vegancrabcakes

Reaction score
I really like J. Press chinos, priced at $135. They run slightly small in the waist and are on the dressier side, but are 100% cotton and are made in the USA.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads