• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Chickin-Fried Chicken in Houston

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Any suggestions from the longtime local Houstonians here?

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
come to chicago, there is some kick ass chicken 15 minutes from my house

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by globetrotter
come to chicago, there is some kick ass chicken 15 minutes from my house

You're on!
smile.gif

I developed a love of chickin-friend chicken and icy Tecate when I was living in Elgin a couple years ago. There is really no other reason to go there, but if you do, be sure to eat at The City Cafe.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
cool. there is a small take away place in the absolute worst part of evanston called the chicken shack that has world class chicken. we eat there at least once a month

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Honestly, we just hit Church's when we want fried chicken. We don't really do the big excursion thing but once in a while. As an aside and speaking of excursions, I don't know if you ever made it to This Is It - they probably had great fried chicken but I ended up having oxtail when I last went - as did the seven people in line before me, but I digress. Anyway, I heard last weekend that they closed up.
ffffuuuu.gif
well, maybe they've moved. Can't tell for sure. hmmmph.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
OK, while we are going OT (mebe we need a Houston Inexpensive Foodie's thread): one of my shooting mates turned me on to Raja Quality Restaurant & Sweets Indian restaurant on Hillcroft recently. The Butter Chicken is mind-blowing!
Originally Posted by HgaleK
Srsly?
I mostly go for IPAs and darker, heavier beers, but there is something magical about ice-cold Tecate and fried chicken at the end of a long hot Cen-Tex summer's day.

HgaleK

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'll have to give it a try. My experience is exclusively with the luke warm cans that they sell for $5 at concerts.

Thomas

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JustinW
OK, while we are going OT (mebe we need a Houston Inexpensive Foodie's thread): one of my shooting mates turned me on to Raja Quality Restaurant & Sweets Indian restaurant on Hillcroft recently. The Butter Chicken is mind-blowing!

I mostly go for IPAs and darker, heavier beers, but there is something magical about ice-cold Tecate and fried chicken at the end of a long hot Cen-Tex summer's day.

O RLY?! The Mrs. isn't much on Indian food but for a longish lunch I could easily be talked into that sort of thing.

JustinW

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Thomas
O RLY?! The Mrs. isn't much on Indian food but for a longish lunch I could easily be talked into that sort of thing.

You're on!

It is fairly close to my work and by FAR the best Indian food and lassi I have had in years. The owners worked for Enron until the collapse, then got into the food business.

NTexican

Reaction score
Went to hs in The Woodlands, and Goodson's Cafe in Tomball was chicken fried steak greatness. Been a while, so I don't remember the chicken fried chicken situation. Should be worth a shot though.

Embargo63

Reaction score
+1 for Frenchy's Chicken. This is not your overpriced, health food, organic fried chicken but believe me when I tell you it'll be the best original fried chicken you've had in ages.

Go to the original location down off Scott St. in 3rd Ward, walking distance from U of H. Also, do yourself a favor and ignore all the chumps that tell you you'll be kidnapped, stabbed, maimed, shot, and then killed before you even pick up your food from the window. Like in any "inner-city" area, just use common sense and simply mind your own. No one will lift a finger to bother you.

- E63

k9n

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Embargo63
+1 for Frenchy's Chicken. This is not your overpriced, health food, organic fried chicken but believe me when I tell you it'll be the best original fried chicken you've had in ages.

Go to the original location down off Scott St. in 3rd Ward, walking distance from U of H. Also, do yourself a favor and ignore all the chumps that tell you you'll be kidnapped, stabbed, maimed, shot, and then killed before you even pick up your food from the window. Like in any "inner-city" area, just use common sense and simply mind your own. No one will lift a finger to bother you.

- E63

x100!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads