1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best Chesterfield RTW Coat (cost irrespective)

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by lordofpi, Oct 29, 2008.

1. lordofpi

lordofpi Senior member

I am really lacking in the overcoat department, and I have decided to make it my goal this winter to finally, after years of "roughing the cold," get up to par with proper winter outerwear. My primary concern is to first begin with the coat that can be worn anywhere without being too casual (I am always suited; opting for the formal makes sense to me). While I was thinking of seeing what overcoats (that was the only term I knew prior to having DAFS all over here, the LL, and others) Burberry had available, I now know that the Chesterfield is what I specifically desire. A quick scouring of their website revealed that they don't actually carry such a garment, technically speaking. This leads me to look to other, more specialized sources.

I'd like to know what some of your opinions on who the top RTW makers of this garment are. For the sake of discussion, let cost not be an issue. I'll weed that out as necessary in my final decision. As far as polos, raglans, and British warms, these are all secondary in importance compared to my narrow focus on the Chesterfield. As my post ought to reveal, I am a rather novice when it comes to this area so, as always, your opinions and help are appreciated.

2. pajames

pajames Well-Known Member

I got a nice one last year from Pakeman, Cato. It is a navy one but if I remember they had other colors and the price was reasonable.

3. Despos

Despos Senior member Dubiously Honored

If you find a topcoat you like, a tailor could add the velvet collar and then you have a Chesterfield.

4. lordofpi

lordofpi Senior member

^A very good point. I went back and checked the Burberry, but it is clearly more of a Balmacaan than anything. I am interested to see where this journey takes me.

5. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

6. Ambulance Chaser

Ambulance Chaser Senior member

Brooks Brothers makes a nice one.

7. Mark from Plano

Mark from Plano Senior member

8. lordofpi

lordofpi Senior member

Looks pretty good. I like the Hickey one a lot too, but as I said above, I'd like to stay with the traditional for my first.

Is a ticket pocket normal on a Chesterfield?

Also, what is proper sleeve length? Ought these coats to show any sort of cuff or ought they be well beyond that apex of the wrist-meets-hand arc that I strive to make my shirts hit? Previous coats I've owned were always long and girthy in sleeves, but I am wondering if this is actually correct, or if maybe it ought to fit just slightly larger than a heavy suit jacket.

9. lordofpi

lordofpi Senior member

So it basically looks like BB or die? Not quite what I was expecting, but I'll take it if I have no better short-term (i.e., RTW) options. Last call for any other suggestions.

10. kaxixi

kaxixi Senior member

Could someone clarify the difference between a Chesterfield and a Paddock coat? I think I've seen Chesterfields at the RL mansion and at Paul Stuart, but want to make sure I know what they are before suggesting anything.

11. lordofpi

lordofpi Senior member

It's my understanding that a Paddock coat is relatively similar to the Chesterfield except with a higher button stance, fuller skirt, sleeve cuffs, and hacking pockets. Also, and this seems most obvious, it seems that instead of a center vent, a Paddock has two inverted side pleats. Everything else (fly front, notch lapels, set-in sleeves, velvet collar) seems to be the same. I am just learning these ins-and-outs as well (most compliments to here and LL for the info), so anyone please correct me where I may have erred.

12. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

I would imagine a top RTW maker like Brioni would have something like this.

13. theoldadage

theoldadage Senior member

I saw an exquisite RLPL number on ebay but missed it...

14. lordofpi

lordofpi Senior member

My haberdasher is checking with Isaia to see what they will do. He thinks they have one available, but it would be a peak lapel with a ticket pocket (odd combo). I guess, at the end of the day, some sort of MTM program was going to be necessary. I'll report as things progress. Thanks for the help so far all!

15. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

Polo had one that was cashmere. Not sure if it's still available. There is a "Lauren" version also, but you don't want that.

16. s4usea

s4usea Well-Known Member

Actually, I picked one up on eBay last year for a whopping $47. It was vintage, which means it has details you don't find today, (such as tickng around the edge and velvet lined pockets). I had the tailor lengthen the sleeves so no cuff would be showing and replace the velvet collar which was a bit worn for a total cost, including purchase of $137.

It looks amazing. I also have the BB cashmere overcoat and the Chesterfield is in another league altogether.

17. r. rafael

r. rafael Member

H. Herzfeld on 57th St. has a really fine Chesterfield that I tried on a few weeks ago.

18. mps23

mps23 Senior member

i have one i found at seize sur vingt's sister store that garners compliments & questions about its orgin wherever i go. it's a few inches shorter than the BB one, comes in brown or navy, fairly form fitting, interesting lining, etc.