• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best chelseas for $250 and under?

gong

Reaction score
I'm in the market for some chelsea boots and I am curious what is available to me at this price point. I'm not expecting anything of stellar quality or craftsmanship but I would like it to last and to look reasonable.

I'm looking into black/tan as color points as that's what would fit in the best with my current wardrobe.

I'm a size 7/7.5 EUR 40.

Any ideas? Thanks

Last edited:

Jeff Costello

Reaction score

gong

Reaction score
I'm also looking for decent chelsea boots, but my budget is more like under $200.

You may or may not like Land's End, but I'm looking into these for later:

http://www.landsend.com/pp/mens-fulton-chelsea-boots~228833_-1.html

I would be getting them in black. Put This On also did a post on these boots some time ago:

http://putthison.com/post/10797368619/folks-are-always-asking-me-about-more-affordable

Actually those Land's End look great, I was looking into Kenneth Cole but they seem to be of a much higher quality. The only issue is they don't stock 7/7.5 so unless they run small I'm out of luck.

Jeff Costello

Reaction score
I was looking at some of the reviews, and they are saying that the boots run narrow. Maybe you could try their size 8?

darkdream

Reaction score
You can find john varvatos chelseas on clearance for around that price point

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, any major e-tailer really.

You just missed Barneys' deep discounts, as they've tucked away their remaining merch so they can bust it out again during the warehouse sale. Not sure when in August it will start, but def check it out when it does, as it'll be online this time.

Also check out the other "big box" places like neimans, bergdorf, etc. And the army of smaller stores scattered throughout the interwebs.

If you miss the spring/summer round of sales, just wait until around November for the FW sales to kick in (especially Cyber Monday yo)

E-bay will occasionally have good stuff from brands like Varvatos and Paul Smith, all well within your $250 budget.

And don't forget the bargain sites. Yoox, Gilt, etc.

No matter where you look, though, at $250 you really don't want to pay retail, since the shoes available at that pricepoint will all kind of suck. They will suck in different ways, but they will suck. Much better to get a $350-600 pair of shoes that's been marked down. Cheers

Last edited:

gong

Reaction score
Any brands in particular that don't suck? I really like the APCs.

Bam!ChairDance

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've heard good things about APC's shoes.

In the mid-level (350-600ish), you have lotsa non sucky options:

For more "classic"/dressy shoes, you could start with Carmina, Grenson, or Crockett & Jones

For more casual/edgy/streetwear stuff, look at Fiorentini & Baker, Paul Smith, NDC, John Varvatos, Moma, or Premiata.

Of course, there are other brands I forgot to list that are also worth checking out. But the ones I mentioned are good ones to start with.

kasper007

Reaction score
ordering for an Aus. based store, you should be able to get some R.M Williams for under $250. excellent value for the price
see this thread

gong

Reaction score
ordering for an Aus. based store, you should be able to get some R.M Williams for under $250. excellent value for the price
see this thread

This looks very interesting and right up my alley, a reasonably high quality boot at an affordable price.

Allez Allez

Reaction score
Sorry, but which site has RMW for under $250? Everything looks to be a bit over the $300 mark, and that is before shipping. But that thread is 200 pages long, so maybe I missed it.:satisfied:

gong

Reaction score
Sorry, but which site has RMW for under $250? Everything looks to be a bit over the $300 mark, and that is before shipping. But that thread is 200 pages long, so maybe I missed it.
satisfied.gif

I just noticed this myself. It also appears the AUD was much weaker then as the conversion rate is no longer in our favor.

sinnedk

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

You can find john varvatos chelseas on clearance for around that price point

JV are ok, the main line dont get that "star usa" thing, its made in china, and retail main line is over $250

I've heard good things about APC's shoes.
In the mid-level (350-600ish), you have lotsa non sucky options:
For more "classic"/dressy shoes, you could start with Carmina, Grenson, or Crockett & Jones
For more casual/edgy/streetwear stuff, look at Fiorentini & Baker, Paul Smith, NDC, John Varvatos, Moma, or Premiata.
Of course, there are other brands I forgot to list that are also worth checking out. But the ones I mentioned are good ones to start with.

all of those are over $250,

Fiorentini & Baker, Paul Smith, NDC, John Varvatos, Moma, or Premiata all have questionable quality, i think f&b are kinda weak.

brands for good chelseas:
Loake
Grenson
Barker

all found here http://www.pediwear.co.uk/ subtract VAT and you are in area of $250
also shoehealer https://www.shoehealer.co.uk/ (Richard is a good guy)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads