Best chelseas for $250 and under?

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by gong, Jul 29, 2012.

1. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

ok carmina is never on sale... c&j only at barneys once a year and still not close to $250, grenson is overpriced in use

as far as the sw&d stuff
    Fiorentini & Baker = ok quality
    Paul Smith = quality is bad now was good in past, ask around if you like
    NDC = i hear ok
    John Varvatos = mainline is decent, star usa is awful
    Moma = quality is ok, good for the money and with yoox pricing at 200
    Premiata = never touched or had exprience but soles look thing and weak...

loake is prob best bang for buck for a chelsea

2. kasper007

kasper007 Senior member

yeah, the AUD is pretty strong (as is the CAD, sorry but i'm canadian and our currency has never been strong) so it might work out to a little over $250 for US buyers, but still an excellent price. just checked out this site from which i have bought before and boots are pretty much at the $250 mark before shipping

3. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

Herring Coltham

http://www.herringshoes.co.uk/product-info.php?&brandid=6&shoeid=3044

I bought those a month ago when they were on discount (100 GBP w/o VAT), really pleased, although one small note is that this waxy leather version is half-lined; the calf Colthams are fully lined.

Looks much better than the web pics; actually before purchasing I googled to see how they look from different angles. Search for Loake Bayswater too as they are practically the same thing.

I agree that at this price, especially on discount, Loake 1880 (and its Herring counterparts) is probably the best bet. They look mighty fine; neither chiseled nor pointy- which I think is preferable for beater, casual boots. Save the chiseled C&Js for dressier occasions.

The other option that I considered back then was Bexley of France. Search for "Bexley bottine" images on the net to gauge the shape... the pic on their website is ugly

4. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

5. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

yup they are Loakes for Herring. 026 last.

6. max_r

max_r Senior member

i dont know about their lower end shoes, but I've been wearing a pair of kasmin zip boots for like a year and half, maybe 3 times a week, and they've held up great. very soft leather, no issues with quality at all. I got the topy replaced on them a few weeks back and the cobbler loved them.

i guess if you're comparing them to the £1000+ boots in the baller boot thread you would see a difference, but the price point reflects this.

7. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

yes i am in the baller boot thread, but thats not why i said PS boots quality is down or at least was down in fw11 when i was looking, the price point for new PS or JV doesn't correlate to the quality, on sale i guess they are worth it

8. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

how is the fit?

9. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

In relation with other brands I've heard Loakes are bigger. Indeed my other pair for comparison are Alfred Sargent derby in UK 9E and another Loake for Herring balmoral in UK 8.5F. 3625 last. Both needs stretching especially the balmorals were painful in the toebox area at first given the closed-lace design. Now, the Colthams are UK 8.5G. Toebox fits snugly but heel is roomy... heel slippage much better after breaking in but still a tad roomy.

I would say that the design of the Chelsea boot in Loake 026 was really roomy; it was quite a difference from Loake 3625, F width, balmoral design, to Loake 026, G width, chelsea boots. Ankle area also doesn't close around snugly, but it does not create any problem. I think all these falls in line with the reason why they are good casual beater boots... they aren't overly sleek or chiseled, and they are comfy, just slip them in and forget about them.

10. sinnedk

sinnedk Senior member

11. jabberwock1977

jabberwock1977 Senior member

Been looking at Chelsea boots recently and have had my pointer hovering over this pair by Cheaney. Currently around half price at £125. I think they're the same as the Threadneedle, also by Cheaney and twice the price, though notable lacking the pull tag. Herring Wilson is also the same, I think. I emailed Cheaney to ask what the difference was and they said:

"There are minor differences in spec between Threadneedle and Strand. Threadneedle is part of our City Collection and Strand was a style that was made to order but then cancelled, which is why it has been included in the sale."

Anway, does anyone have any experience with Cheaney shoes or these ones in particular? The only thing stopping me from puling the trigger on the Strands is that somehow the leather doesn't look as nice as it does on the Threadneedle, or the Loake/Herring ones mentioned further up this page... but that's just the photo right?.....right?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  12. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

$200 chelseas in mah sig. getatme

13. Jeff Costello

Jeff Costello Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012
  14. kashmir

kashmir Senior member

Haven't seen the exact model in person, but I've encountered Loake polished leathers. Stiff and plasticky. I'd suggest looking for their suedes at that price level, there's a Loake Mitchum there IIRC

15. Jeff Costello

Jeff Costello Well-Known Member

Thank you, although I'm not after suede right now. Are those Land's End's I linked in the second post a bad idea for a "starter" pair if I'm just looking for black leather? I'm a college student on a tight budget.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2012