Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best Cheap/ Fairly priced Eats in NYC that Youve been to or heard of...

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by ghulkhan, Nov 4, 2007.

1. gdl203

gdl203 Affiliate Vendor Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I don't think it's been mentioned before but 'wichcraft makes some killer sandwiches. I'm enjoying the hot pastrami+sauerkraut+swiss+mustard right now and it's prettttty pretty good

Their white marinated anchovies+soft-cooked egg+frisee sandwich is epic

2. Connemara

Connemara [URL='http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6jST2Sv63WQ']

I don't think it's been mentioned before but 'wichcraft makes some killer sandwiches. I'm enjoying the hot pastrami+sauerkraut+swiss+mustard right now and it's prettttty pretty good Their white marinated anchovies+soft-cooked egg+frisee sandwich is epic
    Yeah, 'wichcraft is great for lunch. I about died last time I had their chicken breast/pesto/mozzarella/roasted red peppers sandwich. [​IMG]

3. maxnharry

maxnharry Senior member

Wo Hop.

Only dowwnstairs @WoHop

4. amlai

amlai Senior member

Yeah, 'wichcraft is great for lunch. I about died last time I had their chicken breast/pesto/mozzarella/roasted red peppers sandwich. [​IMG]
    Good yes, cheap I disagree.

5. gdl203

Good yes, cheap I disagree.
    No one said it was cheap

6. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Can't believe I forgot the Aaron Sanchez place around the corner from Katz's. I can't remember the name right now, but it's a great value.
    Paladar....that's the name. Great food...good prices.

7. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

I don't think it's been mentioned before but 'wichcraft makes some killer sandwiches. I'm enjoying the hot pastrami+sauerkraut+swiss+mustard right now and it's prettttty pretty good

Their white marinated anchovies+soft-cooked egg+frisee sandwich is epic

I got back and forth between two sandwiches there: the grilled cheddar (white cheddar, pears, ham, mustard on a cranberry walnut bread) or the roast turkey (avocado, sweet onions, pepper mayo).
    I was a big fan of the roast beef they no longer have that was with black pepper aioli with a radish slaw...very light for roast beef.

8. SoCal2NYC

SoCal2NYC Fashion Hayzus

I went to Compass on Sat night and was very suprised and satisfied with their $35 dinner prix fixe (funny as some a la carte entrees on the regular menu cost that much).
    I had a chopped salad with Stilton; a grilled hanger steak (suprised that it was a good size portion) with roasted tomatoes, balsamic reduction, Swiss chard and candied onions and a peanut butter chocoate torte.
    The space is modern and at the same time "cozy" (I think it won best design the year it opened); but, of course it isn't in the hippest of neighborhoods (70th/Broadway basically). However, I would say that if you are an UWSer or are visting or staying around the area or even live in HK that it wouldn't be a bad place to go out with some friends for a "grown up" dinner.

9. archibaldleach

archibaldleach Senior member

Giorgio's of Gramercy (E21st between Park and Broadway) - Have always had excellent service here, and I've generally found the food to be of good quality for the price. A smallish place, but very nice IMO.

Pipa (E19th between Park and Broadway) - I think that the cheap categorization applies only for lunch, but they have some excellent food, especially if you order from the brunch menu over the weekend. Many brunch entrees are under $10, and they have some good sandwiches and even a pretty good burger.

10. kshah

kshah Senior member

I miss Ray's - my favorite is Ray's of St. Marks, runner up goes to the original Ray's on 11th and between 6th and 7th.

11. mafoofan

mafoofan THE FOO Dubiously Honored

Lupa! The carbonara and any one of the fattier meat dishes are fantastic. The only letdown is the dessert.

I don't understand why people like Dumpling House. Awful dumplings, in my opinion--way too thick and doughy. Good dumplings ought to have a high filling-to-wrapper ratio.

12. tbone226

tbone226 Senior member

Saigon Grill - great prices and great food

13. totally epic

totally epic Senior member

14. chorse123

chorse123 Senior member

Any ideas for a quick and cheap place for a pre-theatre bite? Show is on 45th between 7th and 8th, and I'll be walking from 6th and 50th.

15. gdl203

Any ideas for a quick and cheap place for a pre-theatre bite? Show is on 45th between 7th and 8th, and I'll be walking from 6th and 50th.

a bison burger at Ted's Grill?
    a mind-blowing fish entrÃ[​IMG]e at the bar of Le Bernardin?
    a plate of Pad See Yew at Pongsri?
    some oishii sushi at Sushi of Gari?