1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best cheap clothing item you ever bought

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by Johdus Fanfoozal, Jul 11, 2010.

1. CDFS

CDFS Senior member

$3 V neck grey t-shirt from H&M with chest pocket (on sale). I got it like 5 years ago and it is still the best fitting tee I have ever owned. It is the right weight (not too heavy or too thin). I deeply regret only getting one because I never found the exact same shirt again from there. If I could back in time I would have purchased 25 and be set for life.

I have the same experience with a pair of orange pants from H&M á fl. 30,- or about $ 15.-. Worn for about five years most days in the week.

With that in mind it's probably for the best that I only bought one pair.

2. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Used leather jacket with ripped zipper at a Salvation Army store. $10. + another $5 to have my tailor put on a new zipper. That jacket's still going strong after a decade and it effing rules.

Damn, I overpaid. I paid $20 to have a new zipper put in my vintage leather jacket...

Which is a nice piece. Nice high armholes and a motion back, so it's really easy to move around in without pulling everywhere. Great pocket setup for me too.

But the best cheap clothing that I bought new (ie, not thirft, b/c that stuff's not really 'cheap clothing', it's expensive stuff I bought cheap) would have to be my Lee regulars -brag all you want about your expensive shit, but they fit me damn well and I have a pairs that are several years old and still going strong, while all the expensive stuff people post on here suffers from crotch blowouts and the like. Either that or the Kohls Sonoma brand cords from a few seasons ago before they widened the leg to what it is on the house cords now. Nice lighter weight cord fabric and some nice colors on those.

HM: The Sonoma brand canvas work jacket I got a few years back. Warm and tough, but it did have a few issues that I had to fix myself before regular wear.

3. Johdus Fanfoozal

Johdus Fanfoozal Senior member

Not surprising that H&M and Uniqlo are coming up most often as retailers with Hanes undershirts as a popular cheap item.

Throw another SF favorite out there: Uniqlo oxfords for $20. Never had a better casual button down that lasted as long.

4. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

Damn, I overpaid. I paid $20 to have a new zipper put in my vintage leather jacket...

Which is a nice piece. Nice high armholes and a motion back, so it's really easy to move around in without pulling everywhere. Great pocket setup for me too.

But the best cheap clothing that I bought new (ie, not thirft, b/c that stuff's not really 'cheap clothing', it's expensive stuff I bought cheap) would have to be my Lee regulars -brag all you want about your expensive shit, but they fit me damn well and I have a pairs that are several years old and still going strong, while all the expensive stuff people post on here suffers from crotch blowouts and the like. Either that or the Kohls Sonoma brand cords from a few seasons ago before they widened the leg to what it is on the house cords now. Nice lighter weight cord fabric and some nice colors on those.

HM: The Sonoma brand canvas work jacket I got a few years back. Warm and tough, but it did have a few issues that I had to fix myself before regular wear.

Lee Regulars are the shit. I got 2 pairs for work, and you are right... they are durable as shit. If they made them with a significantly lower rise (I believe they come up past my belly button as is) I would wear them as regular clothing. From the crotch down they fit BETTER than my APC NSs

5. *Tee*

*Tee* Senior member

Two H&M slim-fit chinos for 10€/$12.50 each.

6. zissou

zissou Senior member

PF Flyer Center Lo's $20 off Amazon.

7. Tangfastic

Tangfastic Senior member

I got some uniqlo linen shirts 2 or 3 years ago that are still wearing well, all regularly worn. I got a few of their new premium linen shirts recently, they're a bit softer and lighter than the old ones, don't know if they'll last so well but at £15 each it doesn't really matter.

8. fuji

fuji Senior member

Top man T shirts. 2 for $18. In the summer I wear one everyday. Don't know if a pair of nudies is considered cheap, but they were definitely my best purchase.

9. g transistor

g transistor Senior member

H&M pants. Great fit, lots of colors, and $25. Can't beat it.

10. pfurey

pfurey Senior member

vince pima vnecks on sale for $19 a pop.

11. cptjeff

cptjeff Senior member

Lee Regulars are the shit. I got 2 pairs for work, and you are right... they are durable as shit. If they made them with a significantly lower rise (I believe they come up past my belly button as is) I would wear them as regular clothing. From the crotch down they fit BETTER than my APC NSs
    I'm personally a fan of the higher rise, but they don't come up that high on my build. They've also gotten some interesting color options recently. Browns and grays as well as the various blues and black that they've always made.

12. Cool The Kid

Cool The Kid Senior member

I'm personally a fan of the higher rise, but they don't come up that high on my build. They've also gotten some interesting color options recently. Browns and grays as well as the various blues and black that they've always made.
    I already have somewhat long legs for my height, so that combined w/a high rise = [​IMG] I really love the wash on my stonewash pair though. Wish it just had a lower rise.

13. Listi

Listi Senior member

Hmm a few pretty good ones...

MJK button down (got on sale for like $35 I think?)
    Levi's 511 khaki twill ($15 or 20 at urban outfitters clearance)
    BSon x UO funnel neck hoodie ($25 at urban outfitters, basically the same cut as the bson one with a more basic fabric)

14. robbie

robbie Senior member

JC Penney Foremost half-selvage 501 knock-offs - 7 bucks

-rf

15. acidboy

acidboy Senior member

socks from uniqlo

16. dznqbit

dznqbit Active Member

$40 navy pinstripe blazer from H&M UK 4 years ago. fits incredible off the rack.
    $10 on a 2ndhand coogi sweater. paid itself off in amusement the first day alone.
    $40 on a jcrew peacoat, 2ndhand from a store in Phoenix AZ

17. JG000

JG000 Senior member

About 8 years worth of finds at TJ Maxx, Steinmart, Century 21, Van Heusen, Burlington Coat Factory, Marshall's, Target, Old Navy, Kohl's, etc. Can't forget thrift shops either.

My favorite item specifically? A purple blazer I bought for $12.50 at a mom-and-pop men's store.
    Never will I forget all the "ooooh's and ahhhhs" I got at the holiday work party. Those asking the price were only told it was "on sale".

I've found shopping by raw appeal rather than designer bias is immensely beneficial to both my closet and my wallet.

18. brad-t

brad-t Senior member

Never will I forget all the "ooooh's and ahhhhs" I got at the holiday work party. Those asking the price were only told it was "on sale".

[​IMG]