Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best, cheap cities in Europe to visit???

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Sherman90, Nov 21, 2010.

1. frenchy

frenchy In Time Out

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Krakow...its the Vienna of Eastern Europe...1 dollar=2.8 zloty
    (beer at a bar .5 liter 5 zloty,carton of cigs 100 zl,meal in a nice restuarant for two with bottle of wine around 60 zloty)

2. dusty

dusty Senior member

3. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Krakow...its the Vienna of Eastern Europe...1 dollar=2.8 zloty

+100. Beautiful city. The Nazis liked the city so much they didn't destroy it like they did Warsaw, which had to be completely rebuilt.

4. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

Yeah but Montenegro has remained cheap and its beaches are even nicer!

...and the women as beautiful? :)

5. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Yeah but Montenegro has remained cheap and its beaches are even nicer!

Really? Will have to check out some time.

6. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

Nowadays, you basically have to poke around the dregs of the former bloc countries to travel on the cheap. All capital cities are out, in any case.

7. nate10184

nate10184 Senior member

Never been but I've heard Portugal is cheap. Flights over there are usually reasonable too.

8. MetroStyles

MetroStyles Senior member

Never been but I've heard Portugal is cheap. Flights over there are usually reasonable too.

Yeah, Portugal is pretty cheap if you get out of the big cities.

9. frenchy

frenchy In Time Out

Nowadays, you basically have to poke around the dregs of the former bloc countries to travel on the cheap. All capital cities are out, in any case.

if you think Budapest or Krakow or prague is a dreg then you dont know what youre talking about,have never been or just are a negative person

10. SField

SField Senior member

In Czech you can go to Plzen... Bratislava is not too bad money wise. Kiev won't be overly expensive. Prague is no longer anything remotely resembling cheap.

11. holymadness

holymadness Senior member

The three cities you mentioned are huge tourist draws, and two of them happen to be capital cities. Not exactly cheap if your definition of cheap is spending about $8 a day while you backpack around as a university student of little means. Since the OP didn't specify what he meant (and seems on the verge of believing Paris is 'cheap'), I went with my own definition.

12. mkarim

mkarim Senior member

In Czech you can go to Plzen... Bratislava is not too bad money wise. Kiev won't be overly expensive. Prague is no longer anything remotely resembling cheap.

This is true. Budapest and Bratislava are better deal than Prague in terms of how far your money will go. In Czech, you can go to Brno and Cesky Krumlov instead of Prague.

13. Avocat

Avocat Senior member

I'd like to visit a friend over in Europe without breaking the bank. 7 days total, so it could very well be all in one spot. Any recommendations? I've heard the Euro travels relatively far in Berlin. That could be nice.
    Sounds great! Ah, but what are you looking for and what is your idea of "not breaking the bank" aka "cheap"? If you're thinking Berlin, why, indeed, a wonderful place. There's something for everyone with so much to do and a "forward thinking" attitude like Toronto and NYC. You might consider IBIS. It's a very basic, 2-star hotel which--at 59 E per night--won't break the bank (depending on your definition of that). It's centrally located, close to the clubs and sight-seeing. Outside, having walked by numerous times (I've relatives in Germany and Monaco) there's a sausage stand, and a nearby food market (i.e., more sausages, pretzels and beer) and affordable restaurants all throughout. (Basically, you'll see a resto w/ an upstairs and a downstairs; go downstairs not up, and find an empty seat at a public table. The menu will differ from what's offered above and you won't have a table cloth (or any private table necessarily either, but might be), nor will you get any great service obviously, but you can eat as much bread, pretzels, sausage and drink draft beer as you want without breaking the bank either). Otherwise, find an Italian resto if want something other than sausage, pork dishes and beer (Italian restos are to the Germans what Chinese restaurants are in North America, imo). Yes, Berlin can be done on the "cheap" as can Paris (i.e., you can rent a private condo for the week, includes shower and kitchen facilities obviously so that you and your friend can cook your own pasta or what ever you want, etc.). See, http://www.airbnb.com/ Rates are better in the ethnic areas, away from the tourist spots (as is the case in all major world cities, and Paris is a great city: arts, culture, museums, history and the night life is phenomenal). Just beware the "pick pockets" and phony beggars in tourist spots (annoying, but nothing compared to armed and dangerous thugs which are problematic in the inner American cities or *gulp* Winnipeg). Again, all depends on your idea of cheap and what you are looking for, though. Otherwise, try the French coast. Used to be a decent place in Roquebrun (the Mediterranean) which included a lovely (and hearty) breakfast, but the place was bought out by Scientologists. Nice isn't that far away by train, though, and you're likely to find affordable places there (especially off-season). Otherwise, if it's the "backpacking/YMCA" style of "cheap" you're looking for, I can't really help you there, except to say that your best bet in that case is as others here have already said: i.e., the former Eastern Bloc countries (Prague, Warsaw, etc., or even across the Mediterranean in what was the former Yugoslavia). In terms of saving on a flight, check out Iceland Air. Here's wishing you a great trip! EDIT: just thought I'd add that throughout most of Germany, generally speaking, you shouldn't have any difficulty finding people who speak some English (in the event you don't speak German), and will have no difficulties in Berlin. En France, a different story (they speak French, like Britain speaks English). That said, most Francais(e) peuvent parler un petit peu d'Anglais (they speak a little English-like most English Canadians speak a little French-but not conversant). In Paris, however, it's not a problem for English speakers: everyone in the hospitality/tourism industry (including many cafes, bars, restos, etc.) are conversant, so no worries si vous ne pouvez pas parler Français/if you don't speak French.

14. otc

otc Senior member

Prague was great and it is pretty cheap (though not as much as it used to be). I went with 2 friends for spring break my 2nd year of college...

We stayed on the third floor of a gorgeous little pension in a very central location...it was cheaper than any "real hotel" which were all a tram ride away from the city and probably didn't even include breakfast.
    Overall I spent a little over a grand on a week in Prague including airfare, food, entertainment, souvenirs and a day trip to a castle in the country.

I more recently did a little backpacking around southern and northern europe....I will second Portugal being affordable. I stayed there about 5 days in a great place and made a couple of little day trips (to Sintra and Cascais/Estoril) and don't recall spending much. Everywhere I went in the south though (Barcelona, Madrid, Lisbon, Milan/Lake Como, Florence, Pisa, etc) was very feasible on a budget even if it wasn't dirt cheap.

The opposite end of the spectrum is less affordable...Oslo was expensive as all hell. I was lucky to be staying with a friend so I didn't have to pay for housing the few nights I was in town (otherwise I might have seriously considered taking the night train back and forth to Bergen for less money than accommodations). Activities weren't unaffordable but food and housing would make it a bad stop for the thrifty traveler. Bergen was a little more affordable and had more engaging activities that didn't require money (and I preferred it to Oslo, at least at the time of year I was visiting).
    I can't speak to Sweden as I spent extra time in Bergen and only rode a bus through Sweden to Copenhagen--in general though it would be slightly cheaper than Norway but still pretty expensive. Denmark is also pretty expensive (but I have the option of family and family friends to stay with and had already been there so there were a lot of things I didn't feel that I needed to do again).

15. Lord-Barrington

Lord-Barrington Senior member

I recommend Copenhagen and/or Oslo

HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!