• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best buys for Grenadine Ties in Europe?

Jefff

Reaction score
I'm wondering if anyone could offer some advice on buying a good value grenadine tie in Europe. Reading many posts on this forum at other sites seems to highly Sam Hober as a supplier of choice, but at $90 + postage + VAT and maybe import duty a tie starts reaching the price of the seemingly pricier good options like Drakes.

I've been having a look at other options, but I've not managed to find any reviews or feedback. This is what I'm looking at - grateful for any other considerations or views as to quality:

- Charles Tyrwhitt - Comparatively cheap, but seems narrow and doesn't have the range of colours I'm looking for.

- Schirwan - I saw them mentioned on Reddit, but no real detail as to the quality of the tie. The pictures look nice, ships from Europe so no additional tax. Price seems ok. http://www.schirwan.com/collections...na-9-cm/products/grenadine-garza-fina-green-2

- Brianza to World - Ebay supplier, seems to have a couple of websites in Italian language. Pictures too small to judge. 3 fold. Price is good, and no duty as ships from Europe. http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Grenadine...hash=item25eafc9362:m:mmgfQcY4Xv0f0cBHOYYI5Mg

Can anyone comment on the above? Any others to consider?

Or should I just front up the extra for Hober's?

Thanks!

blueberry7

Reaction score
I got myself one from Schirwan and one from Poszetka for Christmas. Both garza fina. Prices are comparable, I like the Poszetka better by quite a margin.
However, I have no comparison with any other or supposedly better maker.
Regrettably, both currently offer only 8cm in width. I would have preferred 9cm.

Jefff

Reaction score
Thanks for all the replies.

@bry2000 - Looks nice, but at a fair margin more than Hober and shipping presumably for the US, doesn't really fit the bill for what I'm after.

@blueberry7 - That is interesting to here. Is there anything you would point to in terms of the actual difference between Schirwan and Poszetka? As it happens, I'm after a 'green' and the colour at Schirwan looks better - any they also have it in 9cm.

From an ebay perspective, what are the Panah and Tom Ford ties like?

Thank-you.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tom Ford makes nice grenadines. The lined ones have excellent drape (I happen to have a few for sale!).

blueberry7

Reaction score
Hi Jefff,

As far as I can tell, both show realistic colours of their ties in the sample pictures.
So if it's about the colour then I'd say try Schirwan. That the tie is available in 9cm is a big plus of course.

Differences I noticed:
Although both ties measure 8cm at the broadest part, Schirwan's tie is narrower overall. Also, the lining is thicker and feels stiffer.
I get a nicer knot with Poszetka and it seems to drape better.

Oh and if you order from Schirwan don't expect any communication or shipping info from their side.
You order the tie, pay, and sometime later the tie arrives. That's all.

Quesjac

Reaction score
Charles Tyrwhitt are too narrow, I agree.

Poszetka are the best budget option for grenadines in Europe I think. (There's a review on my blog if you are interested.)

A bit more expensive, but I think Tadino.es sometimes has grenadines.

If you're in the UK, the traditional retailers (Turnbull & Asser, Ede & Ravenscroft, etc) often have some, but not at such prices.

Wild Strawberry Rabbit

Reaction score
There's another Polish company that offer different widths and weight of interlining etc: https://embassyofelegance.com/en_US/index

I've a couple from them and am quite happy.
Good value for money. 75 EUR for being able to chose width, length and a type of interlining is a very reasonable price IMO. As it happens I’m wearing one of their grenadins today:

A146CD6E-262A-4CC5-81CD-8AFCB8E7C008.jpeg

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The thing is, there are grenadine ties at a lower price point but the quality is also lower and you can feel it. The low price trinity of CT/H&C/TML are not that much cheaper, and substantially less attractive. Poszetka is often recommended, I've bought from them a couple months ago but due to travelling between 3 countries at the time of delivery and the abysmal quality of service from DPD, have yet to receive the items (not Joanna's fault and she has been very good about it). I also have a grenadine from Harvie and Hudson but I bought it 10 years ago in their shop and it is not as nice as Hober, if nicer than the industrial feel of TML. Also two polka dots which are quite nice, but again bought some time ago. As for the other Polish makers, 75 EUR = $93 at current exchange rates...

If you can afford it, you should pay for the Hober as it will be worn for many years (decades, if you have enough ties in the rotation) and the small extra outlay will be rapidly forgotten. If you really are on a tight budget, visit charity shops and look on eBay for some of the names mentioned here. However, grenadine is a popular pattern and it's rare to see them cheap. Usually, famous brands like Kiton or Hermes only make it on eBay with an ugly pattern or in such a terrible state as to not warrant the purchase. The physical nature of charity shops makes it harder for their stock to be hovered up and resold closer to its market value by the natural market efficiency mechanism of #menswear resellers (see the eBay thread) - I have bought literal kg bags of ties (including some Hermes and Dormeuil) for a few dollars. Ah yes, talking of Dormeuil, my favourite grenadine is by them.

othertravel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually, do you have a proxy in the US?

There’s a well regarded men’s store that has amazing grenadines on sale.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads