Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best Burger Ever!

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by odoreater, May 1, 2008.

1. spertia

spertia Senior member

Now Big Kahuna burger... that Hawaiian burger joint... I hear they make some tasty burgers!

Only if you have the right cold drink to wash it down!

2. romafan

romafan Senior member

This peaked my curiosity. Looks pretty rustic...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

No buns, no ketchup

Supposedly they're always kicking out Yale kids who try to sneak in ketchup packets....

3. edmorel

edmorel Quality Seller!! Dubiously Honored

This peaked my curiosity. Looks pretty rustic...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

[​IMG]

No buns, no ketchup

This is what the internerds call a "FAIL". Burger should be nicely charred on the outside an the white toast is just stupid.

4. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

This is what the internerds call a "FAIL". Burger should be nicely charred on the outside an the white toast is just stupid.

I guess it's all good if it tastes good. I'd like to hear from anyone who's ever tried one.

By the way, White Castle was credited on the program as having popularized the burger. They were supposedly the first fast food burger chain.

5. grimslade

grimslade Senior member

I just watched a program the other day on the travel channel about the best burger. Their top pick was a place called Louis' Lunch in New Haven where the owner still uses the same grill and grilling method that was first used in the restaurant in 1900 (it's some kind of vertical grill). They also claim to have invented the burger. Anybody ever try this place?
    [​IMG] I've posted it in this thread even. Louis rocks. The ovens are awesome. The burgers are killer. There are some rules. 1.) There is no ketchup. Violence is not out of the question if you ask for it. 2.) There is no lettuce. 3.) The burgers are served on toast and the cheese, if you want cheese, is a cheddar spread. 4.) The "works" consists of a slice of onion and a slice of tomato. 5.) There are no fries. There used to be a sign on the wall that said "The beatings will continue until morale improves." This is a good indicator of the ethos of the place. They're gruff and they don't take guff. Lastly, I acknowledge that some of the items listed above may _sound_ dire in the abstract. But the result is anything but. Trust me. If you're ever passing through New Haven, get a Louis burger. EDIT: I hadn't seen Greg's and Ed's posts. Ed, you fail because you've never experienced it. Yes, I know this is the internet and so we don't need to know anything about something to pass judgment. But this is serious business, here.

6. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I just watched a program the other day on the travel channel about the best burger. Their top pick was a place called Louis' Lunch in New Haven where the owner still uses the same grill and grilling method that was first used in the restaurant in 1900 (it's some kind of vertical grill). They also claim to have invented the burger. Anybody ever try this place?

It was featured on Heston Blumenthal's In Search of Perfection series when he did the burger episode. It looked pretty cool. Plus I'd take grim's word on it. Sounds good.

7. Joe E Taleo

Joe E Taleo Senior member

It's probably been mentioned already, but Ray's Hell Burger is hands down the best burger I've ever had. The quality of the beef they use to make their burgers is ridiculous, it's made from the trimmings of the aged beef he uses for steaks. I had mine at Ray's the Classics in Silver Spring. I use to love 5 Guys, but man, after having a Ray burger I can never lower myself to 5 Guys, or frankly anywhere else, it's that damn good.

Although I do want to try this Louis Lunch place.

8. whacked

whacked Senior member

[​IMG]

I've posted it in this thread even. Louis rocks. The ovens are awesome. The burgers are killer.

There are some rules.

1.) There is no ketchup. Violence is not out of the question if you ask for it.

2.) There is no lettuce.

3.) The burgers are served on toast and the cheese, if you want cheese, is a cheddar spread.

4.) The "works" consists of a slice of onion and a slice of tomato.

5.) There are no fries.

There used to be a sign on the wall that said "The beatings will continue until morale improves." This is a good indicator of the ethos of the place. They're gruff and they don't take guff.

Lastly, I acknowledge that some of the items listed above may _sound_ dire in the abstract. But the result is anything but. Trust me. If you're ever passing through New Haven, get a Louis burger.

Holy shit. This sounds amazing.

9. Xericx

Xericx Senior member

This is my personal list so far:

1. Father's Office Burger. Santa Monica, CA.

2. Burger Bar Custom Burger with Blue Cheese. Burger Bar @ the Mandalay Bay.

3. Jackie Chan's Mango Teriyaki Burger (CLOSED) (Ala Moana Mall)

4. Fuddruckers 1/2 lb burger with a shitload of liquid cheese and mayo (Various fuddruckers of my youth)

5. MESA Burger @ Mesa Grill (Las Vegas)

10. syracuse1976

syracuse1976 Senior member

What a nice coincidence. I saw this profiled on the Travel Channel yesterday (or was it 2 days ago?). Apparently the ovens were built in 1898 and are the original; I think the restaurant opened in 1900 and is considered the inventor of the Hamburger, according to the Library of Congress. Cheers.

11. syracuse1976

syracuse1976 Senior member

Kwilkinson, I apologize. If I read the whole page I would have seen what I typed was redundant. And I was referring to Louis Lunch.

12. Cavalier

Cavalier Senior member

How do you guys feel about Hackney's in Chicago? Been a while since I went there, but I remember them to have a great burger.

13. ChicagoRon

ChicagoRon Senior member

Where is that? I've never heard of it.....

I did remember I used to really enjoy the Boss Burger at the boss bar on Clark and Hubbard, but i think that might be because of the staff (they're kind of hot).

14. Cavalier

Cavalier Senior member

Where is that?

http://www.hackneysprintersrow.net/

Not sure if it's still popular, been a while since I was out there. I used to go to one in Glenview caused I lived in the area, but there's one on Dearborn that's more of a 'pub' vs. suburban restaurant.

15. aqhong

aqhong Senior member

anybody had a burger from Islands? i dont get why their burgers are 10 dollars. it is nothing to scream about, it aint that big, and you have to buy fries separately. not a smart burger deal in my opinion.
    I did a search of this thread to see if anyone had mentioned Islands. I had a Sandpiper (chicken, sauteed mushrooms, lettuce, tomato, swiss, mayo) with guacamole; was the best burger I've had in recent memory. I'm salivating just thinking about it. In terms of value, though, In-n-Out can't be beat. Two hamburgers, animal style, extra whole grilled onion, ketchup+mustard instead = $3.64. A godsend for poor students.