• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best budget MTM/RTW tailor in London (under £1000)

mrdXCIII

Reaction score
Dear all,

I write to those more knowledgeable than I, for guidance as to which tailors in London I should consider to purchase a budget business suit for under £1000.

I wish to commission a navy double breasted suit in a classic quintessentially British cut.

If the matter in question has been discussed in prior threads, I would most appreciate if you are able to direct me accordingly.

Best,
Raphael

Reaction score
Dear all,

I write to those more knowledgeable than I, for guidance as to which tailors in London I should consider to purchase a budget business suit for under £1000.

I wish to commission a navy double breasted suit in a classic quintessentially British cut.

If the matter in question has been discussed in prior threads, I would most appreciate if you are able to direct me accordingly.

Best,
Raphael
where are you based in London

WilYa

Reaction score
Tailoring in London is overpriced, generally £1000 will not give you anything customised but branded RTWs, which will not be better than suitsupply or spier mackay

rnstyip

Reaction score
I'm not based in London anymore so perhaps my knowledge is a bit limited, but I would suggest catching either Prologue or The Anthology at one of their trunk shows in London. Both are around the £1000 ballpark.

If you are dead-set on a British cut, you could try Whitcomb & Shaftesbury. Haven't tried them personally, but Simon Crompton seems to have had a positive experience.

I've tried SuitSupply MTM and unfortunately had a bad experience. I would not recommend wasting your money there.

simian

Reaction score
I'm not based in London anymore so perhaps my knowledge is a bit limited, but I would suggest catching either Prologue or The Anthology at one of their trunk shows in London. Both are around the £1000 ballpark.

If you are dead-set on a British cut, you could try Whitcomb & Shaftesbury. Haven't tried them personally, but Simon Crompton seems to have had a positive experience.

I've tried SuitSupply MTM and unfortunately had a bad experience. I would not recommend wasting your money there.
Whitcomb and Shaftesbury operate at a higher price point - closer to £2,000 than £1,000 for suits. I suggest taking a look at Christopher Childs - he takes your measurements and gets the suits done from an Italian house (don't know which one). High quality in fit and finish, price just a bit above £1,100 IIRC.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve had a positive experience at Graham Browne (Russell is the cutter there). I’m sure they won’t mind me sharing this link they sent to existing customers with their Christmas sale deals - brings you in well below £1000.

This is for something cut to your pattern, and handmade. You can pay a lot more and get less...

mrdXCIII

Reaction score
Noted all the above.

Back in the market for another suit around the £2,000 mark.

Whitcomb & Shaftesbury is a good call.

Please accept my belated thanks for your help gentleman.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

Favorite Shorts Length

• Above the knee

• Knee length

• Below the knee

• None of the above

• Mid-thigh ("short shorts")

Results are only viewable after voting.