Best Brownie Recipe?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by jpeirpont, Jan 9, 2010.

1. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

Anyone have a really good brownie recipe? I like them slightly crispy on top with a fudgey inside, maybe some chocolate chips thrown in since I like to have as much chocolate as possible.

2. UnFacconable

UnFacconable Senior member

Anyone have a really good brownie recipe? I like them slightly crispy on top with a fudgey inside, maybe some chocolate chips thrown in since I like to have as much chocolate as possible.

Barefoot Contessa's outrageous brownie is awesome (although we skip the coffee).
    http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/i...pe3/index.html

3. Working Stiff

Working Stiff Senior member

My favourite brownie recipe is from "Staff Meals from Chanterelle," but I don't have it here to give to you. I can't find it on the google, but maybe someone here has a copy? They are really amazing.

4. StephenHero

StephenHero Black Floridian

1. Buy fudge.

2. Place in Pyrex baking dish.

3. Warm in oven.

4. Serve.

5. A.K.A.

A.K.A. Senior member

Both Cook's Country and Cook's Illustrated have fudgie brownie recipes. You need to join their website to see the recipes. I've a subscription to Cook's Illustrated for the past 1o years. Everything they publish works, and I have yet to be disappointed with any recipe for a food I like.

6. amnesiac

amnesiac Senior member

betty crocker fudgy brownie box
    +
    1 (or 2) less eggs than recommended
    +
    1/4 cup or so of fox's u-bet chocolate syrup
    +
    optional nutella
    +
    cast iron skillet
    +
    take them out 5-10 minutes early

7. Gravitas

Gravitas Senior member

This one always worked well for me.

8. AThingForCashmere

AThingForCashmere Senior member

This one always worked well for me.
    We've been making these for 20+ years and just toss the crumbled bud directly into the mix. No cooking or straining, and we've never noticed a texture difference from regular brownies. Also, we always use butter not oil. Tastes much better.

9. ChiliPalmer

ChiliPalmer Senior member

10. Gravitas

Gravitas Senior member

We've been making these for 20+ years and just toss the crumbled bud directly into the mix. No cooking or straining, and we've never noticed a texture difference from regular brownies. Also, we always use butter not oil. Tastes much better.
    What?! Sorry, that is just plain wrong though. I know you may have been doing it for awhile, but having done it both ways (with several variations on both) multiple times, I will without a doubt say that preparing oil beforehand is infinitely better. The only argument worth arguing is whether or not to bake at a low temp before making the oil. If you are cooking oil beforehand it is much easier to use oil though, as butter burns much easier. But... If you make the butter properly (boil mixed with water and let cool/freeze so it separates) it tastes like regular butter and you don't risk burning it.

11. AThingForCashmere

AThingForCashmere Senior member

What?! Sorry, that is just plain wrong though. I know you may have been doing it for awhile, but having done it both ways (with several variations on both) multiple times, I will without a doubt say that preparing oil beforehand is infinitely better. The only argument worth arguing is whether or not to bake at a low temp before making the oil. If you are cooking oil beforehand it is much easier to use oil though, as butter burns much easier. But... If you make the butter properly (boil mixed with water and let cool/freeze so it separates) it tastes like regular butter and you don't risk burning it.
    I'm only saying we've never tried this oil preparation method, yet we've never noticed any actual bud texture in the finished product. Somehow it always just dissolves in the batter.

12. von Rothbart

von Rothbart Senior member

Whatever recipe you end up with, use the freshest, best ingredient you can find. For eggs and butter go to your local farmers markets. For chocolate, use Valrhona, and chop it up into chucks in lieu of chocolate chips, you can buy them at baker supply stores far much cheaper than, say, Whole Food. Don't buy the pre-packaged loose stale rancid shelled walnut, buy whole un-shelled ones and shell them yourself.

13. lpresq

lpresq Senior member

Whatever recipe you end up with, use the freshest, best ingredient you can find. For eggs and butter go to your local farmers markets. For chocolate, use Valrhona, and chop it up into chucks in lieu of chocolate chips, you can buy them at baker supply stores far much cheaper than, say, Whole Food. Don't buy the pre-packaged loose stale rancid shelled walnut, buy whole un-shelled ones and shell them yourself.

Heh, maybe I should just raise a chicken, or fly to S. America to harvest cocoa? Man, it's f'n brownies.....

14. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

Heh, maybe I should just raise a chicken, or fly to S. America to harvest cocoa? Man, it's f'n brownies.....

JPier did ask for the best brownie recipe.... not just whatever brownie recipe anyone here has cooked with. Plus Von's advice works for pretty much any time you cook.

15. lpresq

lpresq Senior member

JPier did ask for the best brownie recipe.... not just whatever brownie recipe anyone here has cooked with. Plus Von's advice works for pretty much any time you cook.

Kwilk,

That was my point, exactly. Use top notch ingrediants...wow, Im floored. However, most people don't want to spend $30 on ingrediants to make brownies. Good choc, aside.

PS Thanks again for the lavender scallop recipe; it was fantastic! I just think people try way too hard, bordering on ridiculous, at times.