1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best books on healthy eating?

Discussion in 'Health & Body' started by mgomes, Aug 29, 2009.

1. mgomes

mgomes Well-Known Member

I try to live a healthy life (I enjoy it), love to exercise, eat right, etc. I'm 36, slim and fit but I would like to know about any recent good books on healthy eating best if connected to people into fitness.

After some research I found this one on Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Eat-Drink-Be-H...1581995&sr=8-1

Oppinions? Other suggestions? Thanks in advance for any tips.

2. indesertum

indesertum Senior member

3. jaydc7

jaydc7 Senior member

Keto isn't really a healthy diet. Its fantastic for dropping fat, but I wouldnt call it healthy...

4. APK

APK Senior member

I haven't ever tried it, though I've dabbled with it for short periods of time. Seems like it would definitely do the trick if you stayed on it for the recommended period of time.

Back on topic, I would get Muscle Chow. Fantastic book. Guy used to have a recipe in each issue of Men's Health. These are simple meals that don't skimp on flavor nor presentation. Cheap book, too.

You get no links to said book because I'm lazy right now.

5. globetrotter

globetrotter Senior member

if you are looking for healthy food books, I'd stay away from thei diet books. the okinawan diet program is a good book, as are the various books about super foods. we like to think that healthy eating is all about cutting things out, but it is just as important to eat specific things that give the right nutrients.

6. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

+1 on Willett´s book, that focuses on lifetime habits rather than dieting per se.

Of course, if you´re looking for overnight miracle snake oil, there are lots of other options (even if they won´t work after 6 months). Willet´s is the only book my dad (who´s a MD) would recommend.

7. Jynx

Jynx New Member

Eat to Live by Joel Fuhrman

8. javyn

javyn Senior member

+1 on muscle chow, pretty good book. This is a great site too: http://www.genaw.com/lowcarb/ Lots of good low carb recipes. Even if you aren't doing keto or whatever, low carb, high protein recipes are always welcome because it's often very hard to get the protein/carb ratio right in your daily macros. edit: I intend to try out the cauliflower bisque off that site this week, looks delicious!

9. milosz

milosz Senior member

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

10. ozymandias

ozymandias Senior member

Maybe try some books by Montignac? He focuses on giving up sugar and certain form of fats, it's great prevention against diebetes.

11. StephenHero

StephenHero Senior member

I'll save you 200 pages and $24.95.

Eat Unprocessed.

12. $aam

$aam Well-Known Member

I'll save you 200 pages and $24.95.
    Eat Unprocessed.

THIS

13. pinchi22

pinchi22 Senior member

"Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants."

Willett´s science-based approach is pretty close to the Pollan quote you use. Plenty of the right (unsaturated) fats, nuts (plants), and real food (the stuff your great grandma ate - no trans fats or refined carbs with their high glycemic index).

14. milosz

milosz Senior member

I think I'll pick up his book. I've been lurking (mostly) at the Crossfit forum for a few weeks, and they're all gung ho about the Paleo Diet (and the Zone of course).

Fundamentally, I agree with the concept of eating 'real food,' but as far as I can tell the Paleo stuff has some far out views regarding salt/legumes/grains/'nightshades'/dairy (as in never, ever eat any of the above) and has remarkably little evidence behind some proclamations.

15. javyn

javyn Senior member

What exactly is wrong with eating legumes?

16. Invicta

Invicta Senior member

17. Jynx

Jynx New Member

Joel Furhman is very good but I recomend reading Eat to Live first by him. It is a great book!

18. Nathaniel72

Nathaniel72 Senior member

Conscious Eating - Gabriel Cousens
    The Gerson Therapy - Charlotte Gerson

19. DBowers

DBowers Senior member