• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best book on fundamentals of men's fashion?

brainmonster

Reaction score
I'm trying to find a book that can help me out with the future clothing choices that I make, and to help me articulate my personal style and aesthetic as well as the fundamentals of men's fashion. Any suggestions?

I usually dress "hipster" but of course I have normal and dress cloths for different kinds of outings.

I read this forum but I want something compiled and concrete in front of me. Any suggestions?

I was looking at Off the Cuff by Carson Kressley and Dressing the Man by Alan Flusser.

jeskali

Reaction score
i think dressing the man by flusser is fantastic, particularly if you are looking for a more suited look

Jupiter

Reaction score
Gentleman: A Timeless Fashion, by Bernhard Roetzel.

He covers all the basics and then some. I found it better than Flussers and some others.

Enjoy.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Buddy Love
Details Men's Style Manual: The Ultimate Guide for Making Your Clothes Work for You

Good book for basics. More casual emphasis than Flusser's, but includes also formal wear. Much better than that "Off the cuff":book.

This books SUCKS big time.

I got it as a gift and promptly returned it.

If the OP is into fashion, then reading the useless magazine GQ is probably best as it keeps the reader current on what's "hot"

If the OP is into timeless style, then any of the Flusser books, as well as the Roetzel book are excellent.

Buddy Love

Reaction score
Originally Posted by lee_44106
If the OP is into fashion, then reading the useless magazine GQ is probably best as it keeps the reader current on what's "hot"

If the OP is into timeless style, then any of the Flusser books, as well as the Roetzel book are excellent.

I agree with you that the book is different from Flusser's but it isn't a bad book per se. It really depends what you are looking for.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
'Fashion' books for men don't make much sense to me. By nature of what it is, fashion changes at a very fast pace. Magazines make more sense if that's what you're looking for. But I'd think that even magazines only keep you a few steps behind the leading edge--nothing replaces being out on the street.

My fiancee has women's fashion books, but there's a much stronger history to be discussed.

I liked Flusser's Dressing the Man book, with the disclaimer that it should be used for ideas and knowledge, not gospel.

lithium180

Reaction score
Another vote for Flusser and Roetzel.

I have found both to be most helpful, although they do focus primarily on building a traditional wardrobe for business men.

The Details book is actually not that bad as a primer for casual wear. Other than those, I would just browse through the advertisements in men's magazines and try to emulate the styles that you like.

rssmsvc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jupiter
Gentleman: A Timeless Fashion, by Bernhard Roetzel.

He covers all the basics and then some. I found it better than Flussers and some others.

Enjoy.

+1

Brian278

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No votes for The Suit, or is that too focused on one garment?

BSullivan

Reaction score
I am new to this board, and this post was one that I was planning on making in short order. I, too, normally dress hipster, and my apparent reference to GQ for pointers on how to appropriately dress myself has been ill-advised. As a law student in my final semester with a large law firm job starting in September, I will have the wherewithal to buy the business attire I need and like, but have significant gaps in my knowledge of "fundamentals." Most recently, I have been struggling with a complete inability to comprehend the rules of color and pattern coordination between suits, shirts, and ties--rules that I would like to learn before I bend and/or break them. These Flusser books will help me out, you say?

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BSullivan
These Flusser books will help me out, you say?

I like Dressing the Man for all the pretty pictures. It sounds stupid, but I think seeing what things look like is the best way to learn. Over time, you'll develop a better sense of what works and what doesn't. In contrast, 'rules' are always open to interpretation and exception.

BSullivan

Reaction score
It certainly doesn't sound stupid. Trying to rely purely on verbal or written descriptions of purely visual things doesn't make much sense. And yeah--I figure the rules are always open to interpretation, but I can't interpret them without knowing them, you know? Hopefully, this will also provide any necessary warnings related to my skin tone being that of a pasty Irishman.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by BSullivan
It certainly doesn't sound stupid. Trying to rely purely on verbal or written descriptions of purely visual things doesn't make much sense. And yeah--I figure the rules are always open to interpretation, but I can't interpret them without knowing them, you know? Hopefully, this will also provide any necessary warnings related to my skin tone being that of a pasty Irishman.

I don't think you'll find a shortage of rules or theory in Flusser's books. Speaking of skin tone, he has specific advice on how to match clothes to it. All I remember is that his advice for Asians is to wear high-contrast colors. Of course, it happens to be advice I completely ignore.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads