• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

"Best" black plain toe dress shoes for $800-$900?

lsquare

Reaction score
Is it possible to get a good pair of black plain toe dress shoes for $800-$900? Will this get me into the JM Weston territory? Thanks.

kronik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, as well as Edward Green territory, John Lobb (on sale) territory.... a number of other unnamed territories where you can surely find some beautiful black shoes.

The_Foxx

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
sounds like you have the $$ enough on hand to spend for a great pair of shoes. trust me on this-- you'll want the john lobb shoes. the edward greens are nice, they have a large following here-- but there is nothing like the shape, make, feel, and look of john lobb prestige model shoes. trust me, GO FOR THE LOBBS!
smile.gif

with that much in your bank account, i suggest you take advantage of the opportunity by:

1. contact this seller immediately, inform him you are looking for a pair of black lobb shoes, prestige model. also, that you are a size XXD american, and that you are ready to purchase-- not browsing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/John-Lobb-Brampt...QQcmdZViewItem

2. Then will begin the challenge of figuring our your fit in John Lobb shoes. Myself, i wear a size 10.5 american. actually, it's possible my size is something between 10 and 10.5 american-- but i wear a size 9.5E in BOTH the 7000 last AND the 8000 last from john lobb. the 7000 last is bigger i hear, but the same size in both lasts looks good, feels comfortable, and fits very well. my favorite thing is that i can lace the shoes up comfortably, and the throat of the shoe is completely closed. to me this is a much more polished, almost bespoke look. best if ou can try some lobbs on, of course, but i didn't when i bought my first pair. luckily, i estimated correctly i guess!

3. only accept the prestige model, which you'll recognize by the black section of the soles. the other shoes look nice, but you have the money to do this right-- you gotta get the prestige.

4. browse the current selection of prestige models at www.johnlobb.com

5. hope that the seller i recommended responds in the positive in the near future. the wait will be worth it, even if it takes a couple of weeks for him to check around, get new stock.

6. purchase your shoes, and with the $100 bill left over, put it towards a good steak at Mortons of Chicago or a nice dinner with your lady. don't forget to wear a jacket and your new $1400-retail- John Lobb shoes.

7. suck it up, and buy a pair of john lobb shoe trees from the lobb store in new york city. probably best to buy a jar of polish from them, also. yeah, they are way too expensive, and they will ship it to you so that costs extra as well-- but you gotta have one set of lobb shoe trees, it isn't going to kill you to spend this a month after you get your new shoes.

I followed all these steps, too-- had the occasion to wear my new John Lobb Suttons in new york city in december.
Were the shoes worth it?
Did i like them that much better than the ed greens i've seen?
Was it worth it to pay for the lobb shoe trees?

DEFINITELY.

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by The_Foxx
sounds like you have the $$ enough on hand to spend for a great pair of shoes. trust me on this-- you'll want the john lobb shoes. the edward greens are nice, they have a large following here-- but there is nothing like the shape, make, feel, and look of john lobb prestige model shoes. trust me, GO FOR THE LOBBS!
smile.gif

with that much in your bank account, i suggest you take advantage of the opportunity by:

1. contact this seller immediately, inform him you are looking for a pair of black lobb shoes, prestige model. also, that you are a size XXD american, and that you are ready to purchase-- not browsing.

http://cgi.ebay.com/John-Lobb-Brampt...QQcmdZViewItem

2. Then will begin the challenge of figuring our your fit in John Lobb shoes. Myself, i wear a size 10.5 american. actually, it's possible my size is something between 10 and 10.5 american-- but i wear a size 9.5E in BOTH the 7000 last AND the 8000 last from john lobb. the 7000 last is bigger i hear, but the same size in both lasts looks good, feels comfortable, and fits very well. my favorite thing is that i can lace the shoes up comfortably, and the throat of the shoe is completely closed. to me this is a much more polished, almost bespoke look. best if ou can try some lobbs on, of course, but i didn't when i bought my first pair. luckily, i estimated correctly i guess!

3. only accept the prestige model, which you'll recognize by the black section of the soles. the other shoes look nice, but you have the money to do this right-- you gotta get the prestige.

4. browse the current selection of prestige models at www.johnlobb.com

5. hope that the seller i recommended responds in the positive in the near future. the wait will be worth it, even if it takes a couple of weeks for him to check around, get new stock.

6. purchase your shoes, and with the $100 bill left over, put it towards a good steak at Mortons of Chicago or a nice dinner with your lady. don't forget to wear a jacket and your new $1400-retail- John Lobb shoes.

7. suck it up, and buy a pair of john lobb shoe trees from the lobb store in new york city. probably best to buy a jar of polish from them, also. yeah, they are way too expensive, and they will ship it to you so that costs extra as well-- but you gotta have one set of lobb shoe trees, it isn't going to kill you to spend this a month after you get your new shoes.

I followed all these steps, too-- had the occasion to wear my new John Lobb Suttons in new york city in december.
Were the shoes worth it?
Did i like them that much better than the ed greens i've seen?
Was it worth it to pay for the lobb shoe trees?

DEFINITELY.

My question to you is why should I buy from that ebay store instead of buying in person? I don't trust buying clothes or clothes-related items from ebay. Is this an agent of John Lobb?

I don't actually have the money yet, but I will soon. Starting this thread may be a bit premature, but I want to get thinking about it.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
The real question is...

Why would you spend $8-900 on black shoes?

lsquare

Reaction score
Originally Posted by drizzt3117
The real question is...

I don't have to, but I have set my budget that high. I got brown covered and I need black.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Got brown covered?
musicboohoo[1].gif

What are you going to wear these black shoes for?

drake

Reaction score
Because not all of us follow lock step into forums group-think.

Originally Posted by drizzt3117
The real question is...

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by drake

I don't have a problem with black shoes. In fact I own more black Lobbs and EGs than I do brown. My question was simply, why the high price limit and no description on what the shoes are for? If it's for formal/interview/business purposes, it seems excessive. For casual/elegant wear, sure it could be nice, it just seems that unless your entire wardrobe is set and money is no object that there are better ways to spend your money.

Frittata

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sgt_Strider
My question to you is why should I buy from that ebay store instead of buying in person? I don't trust buying clothes or clothes-related items from ebay. Is this an agent of John Lobb?

Sure he's not an Lobb agent.... how long do you think he would stay an agent selling Lobb shoes for 1/2 the price( the main reason for buying on ebay)??

The mentioned seller is known for buying shoes in northampton factory stores and reselling them on ebay.
I had a mixed experience with this seller..

johnapril

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Buying shoes in an actual store is a pleasure I refuse to give up, regardless of the price of admission.

Frittata

Reaction score
Originally Posted by johnapril
Buying shoes in an actual store is a pleasure I refuse to give up, regardless of the price of admission.
I enjoy both.... but between an EG online and an AE offline
laugh.gif

william

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
+1 Silliness. Black shoes are quite elegant. "Why would one spend $900 on a black shoe?" Oh, I don't know, maybe for exceptional fit, construction, last design and leather quality?
smile.gif

Joffrey

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

+3. Got a pair of brown shoes last year that I wear quite often and plan on expanding my collection of. BUt [nice] Black shoes have a place in every man's wardrobe and one can't be admonished for looking to spend alot on a nice pair. I myself am looking for a pair (for around $150) so anyone that knows of a well made piece that can be worn to work/interviews as well as at night in size 10.5 shoot me pm
wink.gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads