• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Bespoke tailoring in New York City

RobertP77

Reaction score
Hello everyone,

Pardon my intrusion, I know it can be impertinent for a new member to begin by posting a question, but I do find myself in need of some expert local guidance. I work in London and have temporarily moved to New York City for work, I will be here until early summer. Being English and in business I have taken great interest in all things sartorial. I thought it would be fun to get a new jacket made (perhaps cashmere) while I am in New York City for casual wear. I am, however, at a loss for where to go. My question to the experts is just that, where does one go for a bespoke jacket in New York City? Handsewn buttonholes, surgeon's cuffs, etc.

I have used the search feature on this forum and have discovered some ideas, but it is still difficult for me to come to any sort of idea. Back home it is a bit easier to find good tailors. Aside from the tailors of Savile Row I have become partial to some French operations, like Cifonelli's. My budget is around what those bespoke items would cost.

Thanks so much in advance and cheers!

Robert
smile.gif

msart84

Reaction score
What tailor have you used in London? What are you looking to spend?

RobertP77

Reaction score
What tailor have you used in London? What are you looking to spend?

I generally use Anderson and Sheppard if I am going English, the last few years I have been moving more towards the Parisians, like Cifonelli as I mentioned. I am hoping to spend around 3-4k for a jacket, depending on material it can go up or down. I had a cashmere blazer from Cifonelli for about 3k GBP, I am looking to spend about that.

Thanks everyone for your suggestions!

emc894

Reaction score
Leonard Logsdail is the tailor usually recommended in these situations - 9 E 53rd St, New York, 10022 - (212) 752-5030

However if you are used to A&S' soft style, you may not care for the streamlined, ripple free jacket Logsdail usually makes.

RobertP77

Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your advice. It seems I will be going with Len Logsdail. I am wondering, does anyone have experience with him? I have heard some accounts that he outsources his constructions on occasions, is this true?

Thanks again everybody!

-Robert

David Reeves

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you all so much for your advice. It seems I will be going with Len Logsdail. I am wondering, does anyone have experience with him? I have heard some accounts that he outsources his constructions on occasions, is this true?

Thanks again everybody!

-Robert
Everybody does from time to time whether they admit it or not. Len makes a great suit and he's committed to the quality of them ultimately that's all that really matters. The amount of times I visited basements in the east end of London to get coats from old Greek tailors that the Savile Row houses I worked for had outsourced to. They still paid a fortune for the work and it was up always up to snuff.

Last edited:

RobertP77

Reaction score
Thank you all once more for the help! I left Len a message and have decided on a lighter tweed jacket. If you gents would like I can take photographs of the process.

Best,

-Robert

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thank you all once more for the help! I left Len a message and have decided on a lighter tweed jacket. If you gents would like I can take photographs of the process. 

Best, 

-Robert

Please do; there are not too many pictures of his product around here.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Photographs would be very interesting.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I recommend Raphael Rafaelli in NY

Raphael is getting on in years and has never been the easiest to work with. Logsdail is a good pick if you want something close to a traditional English suit in the more structured vein. He must be the youngest of the big NYC tailors and seems very pleasant.

jeff13007

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Are you doing it for the sake of having a NYC bespoke jacket? If not what you should have done was gotten measured up by ediwin at steed or others like Thomas Mahon, and steven hitchcock who are all A&S alum while in London, then just work with them when they came here. But if not then Logsdail has great reviews here, but maybe try something that is distinctly NYC rather than a savile row tailor living here?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads