• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best bespoke off the row? London obv.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Hey, I fancy getting a blazer. I was looking in Ralph Lauren and looking at the Ralph Lauren prices and thinking, even Polo label at £900 - surely I should just get something made? I considered Steed MTM but don't fancy yet another half-canvassed suit (a black label ralph lauren is already looking worse for wear after only 2 years ownership). I know there is "George" http://www.bownsbespoke.com/george.htm but I don't know how modern his cut would be. If anyone has managed a Steed like cut with him I'd be grateful if you shared your experience. So who else can I go to? Regards edit: I should say I am also considering Mr Thomas in Soho who has done numerous alterations for me

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would never deal with Mr. Thomas again after somebody said that their alterations were evidently done with glue. To be honest I have a Caruso suit there for alterations that I picked up for a song, and I am leaving it because I am not going to pay 400% of what the suit cost when it has been altered with glue out of principal.

My recommendation would be to go to Connock & Lockie on Lamb's Conduit street, as they have had very good reviews by people who used to go there. However, one of the head cutters recently passed away. Some members have also had very positive experiences with Graham Browne in the city.

George

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do a search for Graham Browne seems to be making some nice stuff.

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
From what I've heard about George, while he's cheap as far as bespoke goes apparently he's not that flexible as far as deviating from his house cut goes.

I went to Graham Browne a couple of weeks ago for my initial measurement for a tweed suit and Russell there very much knows what he's doing and is quite open to suggestions if you've got something specific in mind. The price I got from them was £725 for CMT for a 2 piece suit.

kraftar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
I would never deal with Mr. Thomas again after somebody said that their alterations were evidently done with glue. To be honest I have a Caruso suit there for alterations that I picked up for a song, and I am leaving it because I am not going to pay 400% of what the suit cost when it has been altered with glue out of principal.

??? I can't seem to find the thread where someone says Mr Thomas uses glue. Also, why would you take your suit there if you think he uses glue? Why not go pick it up and see for yourself? If he used glue then refuse to pay....

butterflystyle

Reaction score
RLBL is fully canvassed...

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd never had any alterations done by him before, went off recommendations on here. This was exposed whilst I had my suit there.

You have a fair point, but from my judge of character, the man would probably deny it in the first place. A similar reaction was also detailed in the post here.

TRINI

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pick it up and send it my way.

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I might check it out next time i'm in London!

kraftar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ich_Dien
I'd never had any alterations done by him before, went off recommendations on here. This was exposed whilst I had my suit there.

You have a fair point, but from my judge of character, the man would probably deny it in the first place. A similar reaction was also detailed in the post here.

the post where?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reason I'm not drawing attention to the post is the fact that the member who wrote it only confided in me that it was Thomas Tailor in a PM, and didn't wish to name and shame in the open.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by butterflystyle
RLBL is fully canvassed...

Mine isn't.

Originally Posted by Not Ed Harris
From what I've heard about George, while he's cheap as far as bespoke goes apparently he's not that flexible as far as deviating from his house cut goes.

I went to Graham Browne a couple of weeks ago for my initial measurement for a tweed suit and Russell there very much knows what he's doing and is quite open to suggestions if you've got something specific in mind. The price I got from them was £725 for CMT for a 2 piece suit.

I don't know what 'CMT' stands for but I'll check Graham Browne out. Thinking I might get a navy 3-piece instead, was just going to get a blazer...

...but this means I won't have a blazer and if I then got a blazer made I'd feel a bit annoyed because I'd be paying for another navy jacket. Hohum.

Pseudosyco

Reaction score
CMT - cut make and trim

I'm having a navy three piece made up at Graham Browne too

Not Ed Harris

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pseudosyco
CMT - cut make and trim

I'm having a navy three piece made up at Graham Browne too

Which, just to clarify, means that they produce the suit from cloth that you supply yourself. They do stock the fabric I'm using ordinarily but I can get a discount if I order direct from the producer and Graham Browne are happy for me to do this.

JammieDodger

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Not Ed Harris
Which, just to clarify, means that they produce the suit from cloth that you supply yourself. They do stock the fabric I'm using ordinarily but I can get a discount if I order direct from the producer and Graham Browne are happy for me to do this.

What a nightmare styleforum is, now I'll be obsessed with researching fabrics for a ridiculously long period of time. What make have you gone with?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads