• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best "beater" blazers

zerostyle

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions for the best cheap/inexpensive slim fitting blazers.

The idea is to have a few to wear to the bars where I don't care if they are spilled on/etc.

H&M? Banana? Zara? Topman? Doesn't have to be great, but also shouldn't fall apart.

Looking to spend between $50 - $100 max.

(Thrift stores are an option, but let's skip them for now because my 38S size is hard to find)

Verno Inferno

Reaction score
Banana ran these sales this winter on Wednesdays. Everything was always 30 or 40% off. I got a couple corduroy for about $100 each. I was actually a bit shocked that that their 38S fit me so well. The 38S at JCrew, for example, requires a bunch waist suppression even on their Ludlow, slim-fitting jackets. I haven't done anything to these blazers. I tried on one of the Banana 38S velvet blazers. Didn't buy it, but the same thing---rather slim on me and fit really well OTR.

I'd like to meet the 38S fit model at BR. He might be my twin.

If you are also 38S, 5'8/5'9'' and about 155lbs, you might wanna check out one of their sales.

I've seen people complain that the arm holes aren't very high on Banana's blazers. So that could be a sticking point for you on the slim-fitting front. And waiting around for a sale to get them under $100 may be annoying.

whatever123

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
Hi, I'm looking for suggestions for the best cheap/inexpensive slim fitting blazers. The idea is to have a few to wear to the bars where I don't care if they are spilled on/etc. H&M? Banana? Zara? Topman? Doesn't have to be great, but also shouldn't fall apart. Looking to spend between $50 - $100 max. (Thrift stores are an option, but let's skip them for now because my 38S size is hard to find)
you want a blazer that doesnt have to be great but shouldnt fall apart for $50-$100? sale at the mall or thrift store.

Peter1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by zerostyle
Hi,

I'm looking for suggestions for the best cheap/inexpensive slim fitting blazers.

The idea is to have a few to wear to the bars where I don't care if they are spilled on/etc.

H&M? Banana? Zara? Topman? Doesn't have to be great, but also shouldn't fall apart.

Looking to spend between $50 - $100 max.

(Thrift stores are an option, but let's skip them for now because my 38S size is hard to find)

This is actually a pretty good question. At the bars if what you have fits and looks decent in dim lights, you're good to go. No need to be a baller.

I used to buy Mexx stuff for going out in NYC but I think they may have pulled out of the U.S. market. Zara would be my first choice. I also had a $99 black moleskin blazer from FCUK of all places that lasted 3 years of hard wear. Then it just disintegrated...

jimmyfingers

Reaction score
I would hit up some thrift stores. Do some research about some of the older. but great mens brands.

A nice blazer from a thrift store will be miles better than any blazer bought at a mall.

SeanathonHuff

Reaction score
taking in a blazer is will accomplish the task of slimming it down without necessarily damaging the structural integrity, right?

brooklyn

Reaction score
not sure where you live but uniqlo is an option and maybe check out lands end at sears. i picked up nice corduory jacket that fits well on me.

randomkoreandude

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
uniqlo' J+, if you have access to it

if not, hit H&M or try polo RL on sale at tj maxx, marshalls, filenes or your local thrift

hendrix

Thor Smash
Supporting Member
Reaction score
so, when would you wear your non-"beater" blazers?

I don't know about you guys but i'd rather actually wear my nice clothes.

also, it is possible to have blazers cleaned.

If you're too worried about wearing your nice blazer when it is appropriate to wear it you really shouldn't have bought it in the first case.

afc345

Reaction score
I got an Ervell blazer for 110$ off B&S. I would say that is a pretty good blazer for going out, but I haven't heard too much bad things about blazers from Zara either.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Verno Inferno
Banana ran these sales this winter on Wednesdays. Everything was always 30 or 40% off. I got a couple corduroy for about $100 each. I was actually a bit shocked that that their 38S fit me so well. The 38S at JCrew, for example, requires a bunch waist suppression even on their Ludlow, slim-fitting jackets. I haven't done anything to these blazers. I tried on one of the Banana 38S velvet blazers. Didn't buy it, but the same thing---rather slim on me and fit really well OTR. I'd like to meet the 38S fit model at BR. He might be my twin. If you are also 38S, 5'8/5'9'' and about 155lbs, you might wanna check out one of their sales. I've seen people complain that the arm holes aren't very high on Banana's blazers. So that could be a sticking point for you on the slim-fitting front. And waiting around for a sale to get them under $100 may be annoying.
Interesting, as I am 5'9 150lbs, and wear a 38S in most suits. (38R in some shorter models). Will definitely check out BR since I have some gift cards there and can wait for the 40% off coupons. From what I remember, though, their shorts tended to run quite short on me, and the regulars a touch long.

zerostyle

Reaction score
Originally Posted by hendrix
so, when would you wear your non-"beater" blazers?

This is a pretty easy question.

I'm not sure about you, but I'm 30, and tend to go to three different kind of bars/nightlife venues depending who I am out with:

1. Super low-key bars where a blazer would never be worn
2. Bars/clubs that are dressier, but are packed shoulder-to-shoulder with people and you are constantly spilled on
3. Nicer wine bars/restaurants/lounges where you will not be spilled on.

#2 is the situation I'm trying to cover, which happens to be a LOT of places in a cramped city like DC.

aizan

Reaction score
twill blazer (found this just now).

along the same lines, i've been looking for a lab coat like this:

42-20042163.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads