1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best BBQ and best Mexican in Austin

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by SField, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Jsoftz

Jsoftz Senior member

[​IMG]

Couldn't wait, ended up going here for lunch today. Had to wait in line for about 25 min I'd say, but man the brisket was just amazing. Has been a very sleepy afternoon for me and the two others that went here in the office as a result.

2. munchausen

munchausen Senior member

Chuy's is a huge chain. You might as well say On the Border.

BTW, if you come to Dallas and want really good Mexican food, Cafe San Miguel is awesome.

3. grundletaint

grundletaint Senior member

LOL! They sure do seem to have a LOT of people fooled. Only been a couple of times but it's always been jam freakin' packed.

definitely enough tourists/college kids to keep it going....

i'd love it if i were in high school, but now that i know what real food tastes like, it just doesn't do it for me. the free salsa/queso bar did save my ass quite a few times in my early 20s, though.

4. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

Since nobody seemed to mention Chuy's for Mexican in and around Austin, I had to speak up. Really good steak burrito, about the size of a newborn elephant.

The only thing I can forgive Chuy's for is the flan. Everything else kinda sucks.

5. QBNCGAR

QBNCGAR Well-Known Member

Anyone remember/know the name of the little Mexican place downtown close to the river? Been ages since I was there...it wasn't too big, walking distance to the Marriott. I thought it was close to a bridge of some kind where a ton of bats hang out during part of the year(?) It had outdoor seating and I remember you had to walk down some steps to get there. Kind of a hole in the wall IIRC.

6. Spats

Spats Senior member

...know the name of the little Mexican place downtown close to the river? ...
    Las Manitas? (didn't have any steps, though).

7. phreak

phreak Senior member

8. dhc905

dhc905 Senior member

Any updates? I'm not particularly into BBQ, but what are some must-see places in Austin? Will be there this Saturday/Sunday.

9. Spats

Spats Senior member

Updates? Here's an update: it's only 102 in the shade at the moment, global warming is a hoax, the governor is running a revival-meeting out of the Astrodome and I'm pretty sure no one has opened a new BBQ joint in Austin in the last two months. You're welcome. :)

10. grundletaint

barton springs will be your best friend this weekend.

11. dhc905

dhc905 Senior member

Giddup. I got my tickets to the Rice game, will be sure to be plenty hydrated before, during and after the game. Any other places, not BBQ or Mexican that I should see for sure? I'm leaving Sunday for hill country (actually the resort Imhoff recommended at the JW) where they have miles and miles of pools, so I will be getting my swim on there.

Come to think of it, I may just hang out in the walk-in beer fridge at the big whole foods. Such an awesome concept when it's 102F.

12. dhc905

dhc905 Senior member

Just got back. Austin is a great city. Parkside closed on Saturday for good, for any of the 6th streeters out there. Hope they do something nice with the space, as it really is amazing. Also ate at Chuys, P. Terry (oddly enough both are within a 5 minute walk from each other, even though I visited them 3 days apart), both I give a thumbs up to.

Also did south congress and had an early sunday morning coffee at (somewhere in the Caribbean, I thought it was Jamaican, but know it's not). Joes and hung out with all the weird former hippies with their dirty "Keep Austin Weird" shirts.

The running trail along the river and through Barton is awesome. I even rode the little train from the springs.

From a food perspective - the Whole Foods was great, although there's a million and one food trucks there all over the city. I could do another trip back just to hit up the various, unique, trucks and trailers we saw.

13. grundletaint

parkside was open on monday...

14. HgaleK

HgaleK Senior member

I'm not a big Chuys fan. The only thing that's any good there is their flan.

15. dhc905

dhc905 Senior member

Sorry, I got the two I went to confused - Paradise cafe closed on Saturday. Parkside was a lot of fun and super-cheap during happy hour (our total bill for 2 with 2 edibles, 4 martini's, 1 beer was 27.00 after tax). Austin is so cheap, it hurts my liver everytime I go.