1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best BBQ and best Mexican in Austin

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by SField, Feb 15, 2011.

1. SField

SField Senior member

Have two dinners (one early dinner/late lunch).

I want one incredible BBQ meal and one really great Tex Mex meal. Preferably downtown, don't have a lot of time. I'm in Austin less than 24 hours stopping by to do a followup on a consulting thing from a few months back.

Please advise.

2. mordecai

mordecai Senior member

make sure you [​IMG] them how to sweat their veggies

3. SField

SField Senior member

make sure you [​IMG] them how to sweat their veggies

Not a problem mexicans have.

And BBQ it's irrelevant.

4. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

At the corner of hipster and hip replacement
    And BBQ it's irrelevant.

bbq, where white bread is considered a vegetable.

5. SField

SField Senior member

bbq, where white bread is considered a vegetable.

I don't know what that's so insanely funny but it's so true... it has caused untold obesity but it's soo funny.

6. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

back in the day ... way back in the day, actually, i used to eat 2-3 times a week at the original Stubbs BBQ in Lubbock, TX ... the guy whose sauce is in grocery stores now. he served his bbq (the best i've ever had), with beans, potato salad, a big wedge of white onion and wonder bread.

7. SField

SField Senior member

back in the day ... way back in the day, actually, i used to eat 2-3 times a week at the original Stubbs BBQ in Lubbock, TX ... the guy whose sauce is in grocery stores now. he served his bbq (the best i've ever had), with beans, potato salad, a big wedge of white onion and wonder bread.

I've always wondered about the bread at the bottom...

8. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

i hate to say it, but there is something about soaking a gooey piece of white bread in bbq sauce that you just don't get with a poilane boule.

9. Ole War Skule

Ole War Skule Active Member

Franklin BBQ is probably the best BBQ actually IN Austin.

http://www.franklinbarbecue.com/

Kreuz Market and Smitty's Market 20 minutes south down HWY 183 in Lockhart are probably the two best in the area, if not the entire state.

Also, remember this is Texas. We do brisket and sausage well, pork not so much.

For Mexican....Fonda San Miguel. http://www.fondasanmiguel.com/

10. foodguy

foodguy Senior member

Also, remember this is Texas. We do brisket and sausage well, pork not so much.

pork ribs, though! never have liked beef ribs.

11. Ole War Skule

Louie Mueller's in Taylor, TX does a pretty good job on their beef ribs, but I'm like you, I'd rather pork ribs than beef ribs.

12. Spats

Spats Senior member

I want one incredible BBQ meal and one really great Tex Mex meal. Preferably downtown, don't have a lot of time. I'm in Austin less than 24 hours stopping by to do a followup on a consulting thing from a few months back.

Please advise.

BBQ IN TOWN. (Lockhart, Tx. is more like a 45 minute drive, depending on where you start out from, lunch only) black owned dives: Sam's on E 12th & Chicon, Ray's on Montopolis Dr. at Monsanto,
    white owned "dives:" House Park W. 12th off Lamar, Green Mesquite on Barton Springs (open at night)
    sort of fancy white joints with bars, etc. Iron Works near Convention Center, Stubb's on Red River and 8th, County Line on the Lake on RR 2222 at Loop 360.

BBQ is usually a lunch time affair unless you go to the fancy joints or want to hang with a drunk or two at Sam's.

Tex-Mex: Matt's El Rancho, (old line emphasis on the Tex. also, El Patio, Nuevo Leon, El Azteca etc. Almost anything with El beginning the name, all pretty close to downtown, some on the east (Mexican) side.
    More Mex than Tex: El Sol y La Luna (good for breakfast meet, etc.) on e6th at Red River, Fonda San Miguel (pretty nice, a little fancy-date ready).

Ignore anything else you've read in this thread if it conflicts with what I've said. PM me if you need any clarification on any of this. 'Nuff said.

13. Ole War Skule

Do you not like this guy or something? Why would you ever suggest someone go to Stubbs, Green Mesquite or County Line?

14. Spats

Spats Senior member

Do you not like this guy or something? Why would you ever suggest someone go to Stubbs, Green Mesquite or County Line?
    [​IMG] Because: he said "under 24 hours, keep it in town." Thus, no Lockhart, no Taylor, no small towns. Because: sometimes people want a "restaurant" with a bar, late hours, waitresses, etc. The meat at those places is not bad, last time I ate at any of them. I could do without the rest of it, but again, not everyone wants to eat in a "joint." I think I gave him a choice, in town, and no corporate chain places (I saw a whole segment of a tv show that hung around "Rudy's" of all the god-awful places).

15. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

16. Spats

Spats Senior member

I write for Fearless Critic and can recommend Franklin Barbecue and El Naranjo for real Mexican, not Tex-Mex.

Kent, don't you think that you should at least give the guy a disclaimer, that these are both trailers?! What happens if he plans his under 24 hour day to include a client, or if it is raining, or if he needs to take a piss? Come on, dude. [​IMG]

17. SField

SField Senior member

Kent, don't you think that you should at least give the guy a disclaimer, that these are both trailers?! What happens if he plans his under 24 hour day to include a client, or if it is raining, or if he needs to take a piss? Come on, dude. [​IMG]
    Only client dinner is at Driskill Grill, and that was cancelled. These two are for my own enjoyment. Trailers are fucking tops in my opinion so no problems there if they serve good food. Looks like Franklin's is the best. So is it possible that I show up to Franklin and they'll run out of shit? I'm guessing I'll be there between 2 and 6. I want to try the ribs, brisket and pulled pork.

18. Kent Wang

Kent Wang Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

I have heard of them running out. I always go early though. You could call before heading out there.

19. Xiaogou

Xiaogou Senior member

Please advise.

Didn't you previously state that you hate Mexican food? I know Tex-Mex is different but still.

20. SField

SField Senior member

Didn't you previously state that you hate Mexican food? I know Tex-Mex is different but still.
    I want to try what people universally consider to be good. Same as my question to try good "chinese" food. I've had a few meals made by good mexican cooks that were nice, but for the most part it's been dreck. And over and over I get the answer, o you haven't had the right kind. Well I want to try what people think is some of the better stuff and hopefully be enlightened.