• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Bang for Your Buck Dress Shoes?

js00

Reaction score
I have two pairs of SM captoes, and they fit my 9US feet true-to-size, or maybe just very slightly roomier than true-to-size. No complaints about the quality whatsoever.

mrmonday

Reaction score

I have heard of Carmina, can you link me to there online store or an online store that carries them? How is the shape of the SM cap toes, which C&J last is it closest to?

mrmonday

Reaction score

The link was in my original post.  Here it is again: http://www.carmina.telemaco.es/

I can't help you with your second question.

Beautiful shoes, how do they compare with C&J in terms of construction quality? Do they use a good year last?
Also what do you gents think of the Meermin quality?
Thanks in advance for all the great help.

Last edited:

SHS

Reaction score
Vass shoes has the best quality/price ratio in my opinion.

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

mr monty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Do you have any experience with SM sizing? Are they TTS? Also are the ones I linked good year or blake last? Thanks for the website suggestion which brands on that website do you suggest? I like these ones http://www.virtualclotheshorse.com/...=1082471&category_id=81083253317#.UVFSS1sjojc

Also are the Peal & Co. C&J shoes any different from regular C&J shoes in terms of quality?

mr monday before you go any further. Search SF for threads for info concerning goodyear and rapid blake construction.

SHS

Reaction score
You can also do a search for "gemming". :nest:

Last edited:

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score
Vass shoes has the best quality/price ratio in my opinion.
Agree - Vass is best for price/quality ratio in my opinion amongst all other top end brands I have owned.

PM me if you require contact details for Vass Proxy I use in the UK who are offering 20/30% off.
OR direct contact with Vass themself.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think the most important thing to consider when buying shoes is fit and comfort first. Without those, price or style mean nothing. I wouldn't buy shoes without trying them on first or without having a very easy return policy. So online purchasing should only be pursued for shoes if you have experience with the exact shoe or if the seller offers a simple, no hassle return (many do but not all).

Also, remember that not of styles within a brand fit the same. For example, some John Lobb shoes fit me great and others in the same size but made with different lasts (shape) don't work at all.

When doing your research be sure to compare apples to apples. Good luck!

RDiaz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best bang for your buck is probably Vass at retail, but it's hard to find them at that price unless you go to Budapest yourself
frown.gif

Winendine

Reaction score
I think the most important thing to consider when buying shoes is fit and comfort first. Without those, price or style mean nothing. I wouldn't buy shoes without trying them on first or without having a very easy return policy. So online purchasing should only be pursued for shoes if you have experience with the exact shoe or if the seller offers a simple, no hassle return (many do but not all).

Also, remember that not of styles within a brand fit the same. For example, some John Lobb shoes fit me great and others in the same size but made with different lasts (shape) don't work at all.

My thoughts exactly.

Ilovelobbs

Reaction score

You are spot on about the fit being 100% perfect before budget and everything else is considered.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads