• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Band/Group/Artist Ever?

mistahlee

Reaction score
I vote for the second great quintet of Miles Davis - Herbie Hancock, Wayne Shorter, Ron Carter and Tony Williams.

However, if rock is the genre, and one needs to be convinced, I suggest a viewing of the Led Zeppelin performance at Knebworth in 1979, released on DVD a couple years ago. Words cannot capture the sweat-soaked, gigantic, give-it-all rocking machine that LZ was at the end of its trajectory.

faustian bargain

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i can't believe nobody's mentioned N'Sync.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've had a rough night, and I hate the ******* Eagles, man.

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My vote goes to Crosby, Stills, Nash & (sometimes
laugh.gif
) Young. The first supergroup and, in my opinion, the only one worth mentioning. Listen to Deja Vu beginning to end and prepare to be wowed.

Stephen Stills' solo work is mind-blowing.

In terms of classical musicians: probably Franz Liszt. Likely the greatest pianist of all time, which becomes evident when you listen to his compositions that sound like...well, I can't even explain it. Phenomenal.

Tck13

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Tokyo Slim
The Cars

The cars are going on tour with Todd Rungren. I heard Ric Ocasek wouldn't do it because of stage fright. (gossip)

I vote for U2 or Rush. (Let the abuse begin)

U2 was one of the few bands I followed and enjoyed from album #1.

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Flogging Molly is very enjoyable and has a hell of a lot of soul, but they're not really very diverse at all. I like them a lot, but I wouldn't consider them for best band ever.

Does a band really need to be diverse to be great? My first impulse is to say no. Most of the greats do one thing and do it well. All three of FM's studio albums have been killer, and that's more than 99 percent of bands can manage.

FM's live show is, without question, the best I've seen. Before they got "big," I went to one of their shows and only about 15-20 people showed up. They still played like there were 500 people there, then came out and mingled with the crowd. I was impressed. They've really earned their success.

And **** The Clash. Joe Strummer and the Mescaleros forever.
Hey, hey, no need to talk smack about the Clash. Joe's stuff with the Mescaleros is great, but "The Clash" and "London Calling" are two of the best albums recorded.

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is always tough for me:

- Genesis (even after Peter Gabriel left, but before Phil Collins fully emasculated them)

- Peter Gabriel

- Marillion (before Fish left, although "Afraid of Sunlight" is brilliant)

(yes, I like it the prog rock)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You like it the King Crimson?

Originally Posted by JBZ
This is always tough for me:

- Genesis (even after Peter Gabriel left, but before Phil Collins fully emasculated them)

- Peter Gabriel

- Marillion (before Fish left, although "Afraid of Sunlight" is brilliant)

(yes, I like it the prog rock)

JBZ

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Alter
You like it the King Crimson?

For some reason, King Crimson never really did it for me (although I appreciate the musicianship). I like Yes a lot, but I lose interest when they go off on their twenty minute jam sessions (same with ELP). I guess you can label Pink Floyd as prog rock, but, while I love some of their stuff, they're not my favorite (I never saw what the big deal was about Dark Side of the Moon - I always preferred The Wall). I've tried some of the more modern prog rock bands, like Spock's Beard, Grey Lady Down, and Porcupine Tree, but they just don't do it for me, for whatever reason.

Lyrics are generally pretty important to me when it comes to music. I think Genesis, Marillion, and PG have produced some of the best lyrics in rock history. I should also throw in Fish post Marillion, although I don't think he's producing anything near as powerful as he was ten years ago, and I think years of hard living have taken a toll on his voice (just speculation on my part).

Generally, I think it's impossible to truly explain why a particular piece of music moves you and why another leaves you flat. I'm enjoying the divergent responses to this thread, which I think proves this point.

Hawkeye

Reaction score
I think there are four that really come to my mind right away:
1. Already mentioned a lot, The Clash, their nickname was 'The only band that matters,' enough said.
2. Neil Young, excluding his waked out 1980's anti Pepsi/MTV weird stuff he is amazing, I had always heard his hits, but the past few months Ive been listening to a lot of his other stuff and it is great.
3. Beach Boys, Pet Sounds is #3 behind London Calling and Blonde on Blonde as my favorite album ever.
4. Most underrated best rock and roll band ever... Grateful Dead, forget all the people who followed them around, they were the best, and because of the stigma of their fans, and 40 minute songs they will never get the credit they deserve.

Edward Appleby

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
I've had a rough night, and I hate the ******* Eagles, man.
That's it! Outta this ******* cab!

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another vote for New Order.

I can never resist Temptation.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
2. Neil Young, excluding his waked out 1980's anti Pepsi/MTV weird stuff he is amazing, I had always heard his hits, but the past few months Ive been listening to a lot of his other stuff and it is great.
I do not understand this. After hearing piles and piles of hype, I downloaded and listened to Prairie Wind. The writing alone was groanworthy. Unfortunately, so was everything else.

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i'm surprised no one has mentioned the beatles.

i don't get the whole bob dylan cult. his music is boring to me, and as a musician myself, i don't hear the influence of his music on later bands, at least not in the musical sense. he may have influenced the way people wrote lyrics, but not music.

i respect him a lot as a poet, and i think he is an excellent lyricist, but as a musician i just don't get it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads