• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best Band/Group/Artist Ever?

matadorpoeta

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
most overrated band: take your pick--rolling stones, velvet underground, the sex pistols, the ramones, or the clash.

best drummer is the guy from the cure when they recorded disintegration. ringo starr is underrated as a drummer. the guy from tool is a great drummer.

i don't like neil peart. aside from tom sawyer, it sounds like he plays a drum solo through every song.

best bassist: the guy from the smiths or the guy from joy division. also the guy from led zeppelin.

rdawson808

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
best bassist: or the guy from joy division..

That would be Peter Hook.

bob

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Of all the early 90's white rappers with long, blond, curly hair Jesse Jaymes (or as all of his true fans refer to him "JJ") is unquestionably the best that there was, is and ever will be. His fearless and brutal lyrics bridge the ethnic gap between him and other artists in his genre.

In "Shake it like a white girl" JJ tells us of his affinity for Caucasian booty. He fearlessly describes taking a white girl named Rita to a "Party around the way". We know that this was risky since Rita was white and a "fly cheerleader" no less. Clearly it would be hard for her to fit in at this party around the way. However since "Rita knew how...to shake it like a white girl", she is able to use the power of dance to fit in and earn respect.

From the amazon review

trogdor

Reaction score

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Vader

seanchai

Reaction score
Nearly a tie between Steely Dan or The Jam. I give the edge to my sentimental favorite SD because their lyrics are incomparably clever.

imageWIS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
For modern rock, I like Placebo, although Meds sucks…but the earlier stuff is fantastic (see signature).

For Techno-based modern movie music from a solo artist who also sings, my vote goes to Rob Dougan; he has a voice that only a 2+ pack day habit can help you get, but it works.

Jon.

modsquad

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hawkeye
Am I the only one who can not stand U2? I don't know who is more overplayed, them or the Whack Eyed Peas

If it helps, I never much liked U2 either, They're not really a rock 'n roll band. They look like one and they stand on stage like rock bands do and play the instruments that rock bands play, but the music has a lot more in common with rock musicals like the Rocky Horror or Hedwig or Rent than actual rock music. Synthesized, anthemic, mannered, those sorts of things. Their forebearers are Queen and Meatloaf, not Jerry Lee Lewis or Ike Turner or the Stooges.

Dakota rube

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by seanchai
Nearly a tie between Steely Dan or The Jam. I give the edge to my sentimental favorite SD because their lyrics are incomparably clever.
I have never known precisely how to take Steely Dan; most of the time I felt like they were probably laughing at me for listening. Musically catchy, lyrically clever (as you noted), but somehow...manufactured, formulaic, programmed.
confused.gif

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
I have never known precisely how to take Steely Dan; most of the time I felt like they were probably laughing at me for listening. Musically catchy, lyrically clever (as you noted), but somehow...manufactured, formulaic, programmed.
Hear Hear.

But music is like religion and politics- completely subjective.

aportnoy

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Talking Heads
The Band
Muddy Waters
Wilco

Mr. Checks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by matadorpoeta
most overrated band: take your pick--rolling stones, velvet underground, the sex pistols, the ramones, or the clash.

best drummer is the guy from the cure when they recorded disintegration. ringo starr is underrated as a drummer. the guy from tool is a great drummer.

i don't like neil peart. aside from tom sawyer, it sounds like he plays a drum solo through every song.

best bassist: the guy from the smiths or the guy from joy division. also the guy from led zeppelin.

The Clash cannot be overrated.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads