• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best approach to blazers/jackets/suits for a 6' 6" 39XL?

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Good evening, gentlemen. Thanks again for making this forum what it is.

I've purchased several blazers, sport coats, etc, trying to figure out what my size is. I've tried 38L-42L, and have yet to find what will work. Based on measurements, it looks like my ideal size is actually a 39 Extra Long based on the average of the measurements I see for 38XL and 40XL. Here are what I've found to be my ideal jacket measurements:

Shoulder to shoulder: 18.75"-19"
Chest: 40"
Shoulder to sleeve hem: 26.5"
BOTTOM of collar to bottom of jacket: 33.5-34"

As for waist measurement, I figure I can tailor that appropriately if I can get shoulders & length down. Here's the issue - there is a wealth of Regular and even Long sizes available online at low prices, offering minimal risk, but next to nothing when it comes to jackets close to those measurements. In fact, at any reasonable price, I've only found two currently available on eBay. I don't remember the last time I saw anything close in the B&S forums.

So if you were in my position, on a strict budget, but needing to try some things out to find what looks work for you (never owned a suit, or even a blazer for that matter!), how would you go about doing it?

Thank you!

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
M2M sounds like your best option.

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Wouldn't it make sense to find a jacket that fits me decent, get it tailored to fit how I like it, and then use that existing jacket for MTM measurements? At least that's what I read on the forums. Perhaps I don't have that luxury?

cptjeff

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can find a jacket that fits decently, then that would be a great idea. But 39 XL is simply not a size one sees often. At all. Your best bet is MTM that guarantees it's fit- indochino will do that, for example. Bespoke would obviously be ideal.

OTR stuff is made to cover average sizes. It's simply not made to cover people who are just way off of the bell curve. Odds are, you're not going to have much luck finding things that even come close.

HPress

Reaction score
It also depends on where you are located. For example, if you're anywhere near Boston, you could stop by the Andover Shop and for $750 have someone else worry about your height.

Ahheck01

Reaction score
Originally Posted by HPress
It also depends on where you are located. For example, if you're anywhere near Boston, you could stop by the Andover Shop and for $750 have someone else worry about your height.

Unfortunately I have neither that budget nor that proximity. I live in Cedar Rapids, Iowa.

bringusingoodale

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Perhaps you can give me about 4 inches of height
laugh.gif

While made to measure and bespoke is for everyone who wants to find a good fit (or as near as perfect with bespoke), there are some people that will always need to resort to individual, custom tailoring. I think you already know you are one of these people. I have never even bothered searching for XL length or 39 chest (I am a short slim guy guy), but if it is nearly impossible to find, then save yourself the trouble and get your stuff custom made. I have found the MTM route pleasurable, and some day I hope to experience the bespoke route.

OR you can bulk up and fit into a 40, if I understand correctly that you have found this size is available more commonly.

But I would just save up and get MTM, I am doing this right now myself, seeing how no 38 off the rack fits my slim shoulders. Ah well.

negusnegas

Reaction score
What's your budget? I know Paul Stuart and Phineas Cole make a 40XL.

ykurtz

Reaction score
You might want to look at a Gucci 40L. The sleeves come in at 26"-27" OTR, I kid you not. I bought one and had to cut 3 inches off. But if you don't want to overpay for a brand name, MTM sounds like the answer for you. It's not terribly expensive. Your body measurements aren't part of the fat area under a bell curve, so most OTR won't fit you by a longshot.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads