• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 4: Goodyear welted shoes from Cobbler Union

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 4th auction is for a pair of Goodyear welted Shoes from Cobbler Union. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

best anti aging cream?

blackjack

Reaction score
Here's the secret that skincare manufacturers don't want you to know:

It's not going to make that much difference!

Certainly, some products will feel better due to superior emulsification or other properties that have nothing to do with actual performance. Want to splurge even more? Go for the Japanese $500 + per ounce solutions like Kanebo Sensai EX La Creme, Shiseido's Bio-Performance or P&G's SKI-II system. The department store BC's at Barney's and Saks will love you (but your wallet definitely won't).

Sleep, proper diet, hydration and avoiding excessive UV exposure, tobacco & alcohol along with some basic moisturizing and cleaning regime is the superior but boring solution. Genes - you can't do anything about. and, sleep is going to make the greatest difference.

Nowadays, most of the same high-end skincare product 'features' can be found in the more affordable drugstore lines. For $20 or so, you can grab a jar of the US bestselling brand, Oil of Olay. They have anti-aging, wrinkling and all that jazz and jizzum.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Dermotologists that I've read from have pretty much said the exact same thing. The only thing that separates the luxury, "professional," or what have you brands, and Oil of Olay or Aveeno is the packaging, the scent and the cost.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In the old days, they only used to use Pond's Cold Cream.

Many of those old ladies seem to have quite good skin, wrinkles notwithstanding.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
My wife is a cosmetics executive.

She would answer this question with one word: sunscreen.

lefty

turboman808

Reaction score
eat lots of veggies, avoid to much sun, don't smoke or drink.

skunkworks

Reaction score
In order of importance: sunscreen, moisturizer, and exfoliation. I have a $10 container of 10% salicylic acid that I picked up at a drug store, and it is very effective at increasing the turnover of new skin cells. As a side benefit, if you want to get rid of the red marks that occur after acne goes away, this is one of the best ways to do it.

lee_44106

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
In the old days, they only used to use Pond's Cold Cream.

Many of those old ladies seem to have quite good skin, wrinkles notwithstanding.

Originally Posted by lefty
My wife is a cosmetics executive.

She would answer this question with one word: sunscreen.

lefty

Originally Posted by turboman808
eat lots of veggies, avoid to much sun, don't smoke or drink.

Originally Posted by skunkworks
In order of importance: sunscreen, moisturizer, and exfoliation. I have a $10 container of 10% salicylic acid that I picked up at a drug store, and it is very effective at increasing the turnover of new skin cells. As a side benefit, if you want to get rid of the red marks that occur after acne goes away, this is one of the best ways to do it.

As LK said, some really old ladies look good because all this craze about getting a nice looking tan is a recent fad. Back in the days people actually avoided the sun like the plaque by carrying parasols. There was also a connotation that being tanned is "low-class" and "common", as in the upper class worked indoors only.

Best advice to avoid looking old is to avoid the sun. Diet and excercises are probably top 6 and 7, with sun-avoidance being the top five.

Remember: there is no such thing as a healthy suntan

olive31

Reaction score
Too much exposure under the sun causes wrinkles (among other reasons) so choose a moisturizer and anti-aging cream that has high SPF. You can try NeuCell Anti-Wrinkle Cream, it's an anti-aging cream that helps reduce fine lines and wrinkles. But most of all, getting lots of sleep, drinking lots of water, avoiding (or quitting) smoking, and eating healthy foods are still the best remedies.

noob in 89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On the other hand, avoiding the sun can also be harmful -- particularly during flu season. :(

Studies also suggest a lack of sun correlates with increased chances of skin cancer, but, you know...I'm no dermatologist.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
There is a local Dermatologist that is in her late 50's, She has the skin of someone half he age. She said it is from using Renova and sunscreen everyday.

Rambo

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

There is a local Dermatologist that is in her late 50's, She has the skin of someone half he age. She said it is from using Renova and sunscreen everyday.

If Renova weren't so god damn expensive I'd use it too.

Rambo

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Kevin Smith

Reaction score
The best anti aging cream which I have used is Renova. It is expensive but it gives good results. And If you want less expensive than use pond anti aging cream. But Renova is best.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 25 3.3%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 131 17.3%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 246 32.5%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 119 15.7%
  • 31 - 40