1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Best anime show/movie?

Discussion in 'Entertainment, Culture, and Sports' started by turbozed, May 2, 2006.

1. TKDKid

TKDKid Senior member

I want to see ones that are "realistic." Either ones set in modern day that are spy thrillers, or historical ones with Samurai or other kind of battles. I.e. no monsters; no crazy sci fi, etc. Do these exist, and if so, what can you suggest? Thanks.
    For Samurai, I would recommend the Rurouni Kenshin OVAs. "Reflection" probably won't make much sense, but you can definitely watch "Trust" and "Betrayal" without worrying too much about the rest of the Rurouni Kenshin story.

2. skalogre

skalogre Senior member

I want to see ones that are "realistic." Either ones set in modern day that are spy thrillers, or historical ones with Samurai or other kind of battles. I.e. no monsters; no crazy sci fi, etc. Do these exist, and if so, what can you suggest? Thanks.

I believe there was a remake done of 7 Samurai, as well as a few on the Shinsengumi. Don't know much more about them though.

3. denimdestroyedmylife

denimdestroyedmylife Senior member

Anyone get their anime from www.greencine.com ? Amazing selection. Great service if you are anywhere near Frisco. Unfortunately, I had to cancel because I am house poor...

4. Flame

Flame Senior member

I would highly recommend Peacemaker Kurogane if you are interested in the fall of the Edo period and the Shinsengumi. It is basically a novelization of the lifes of the Shinsengumi.

5. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

Neon Genesis Evangelion
    Ninja Scroll
    Cowboy Bebop
    Wicked City
    FLCL
    Tenchi Muyo
    Ghost in the Shell

6. javyn

javyn Senior member

It is not anime, but the Lone Wolf & Cub miniseries was extremely violent and cool.

7. Flame

Flame Senior member

Bleach is also supposed to be really good.
    It is my favorite so far. Good music, good taste in clothes, good character and storyline development.

8. Aureus

Aureus Senior member

Initial D
    Tekkaman Blade

9. Augusto86

Augusto86 Senior member

Not many Anime are 'realistic' - that's sort of the point, in many ways. Although, I suppose the Samurai ones can be - take a look at Samurai Champloo in that case. It's a bit wacky, what with the hip-hop soundtrack, but in terms of the characters and what actualyl happens, fairly realistic.

10. Oddly Familiar

Oddly Familiar Senior member

Gundam Wing was absolutely amazing. The movie was great too. I really enjoy Rouroni Kenshin but not samurai X. I absolutely love Cowboy Bebop, the movie was orgasmic. Anything Miyazaki shouldn't be missed. Ever. Pom Poko was great, I love spirited Away, Castle In the Sky, and Totoro. Princess Mononoke was THE BEST. It's what got me into anime and definately shouldn't be over looked. A good series is... I can't remember the name... 5 chicks, they fight crime in the future and have huge boobs. It was really popular and aired on TechTv a few years ago. If you want to see some classics, check TCM frequently. They air anime quite a bit suprisingly.

11. Brian SD

Brian SD Senior member

NINJA SCROLL
    It's not crazy sci fi, it does have supernatural crap, its super gory and sexually vulgar, and its a fucking classic.