• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best and Worst Experiences With The Quality of An Item

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
Rach you just reminded me of some LV sneaks I bought about some 9 years ago, supposedly black but was a very dark chocolate and thick gum sole. The sole completely separated from the shoe after maybe 30-40 wears or so. I was so pissed since I paid something like 335 for them back them. Today they would probably cost $700 and weren't even comfortable at all. Biggest pos and I never bought an LV shoe again after that.

I did have some black americas cup made in italy that wore like iron for 4 years though and I had got them overseas for about 230, way less than their $400 asking price here then.

jet

Persian Bro
Reaction score
I got tired of the style by that time (close to sf time) and my taste changed before they even died so I donated them.

gasoline

Reaction score
My worst experience has a happy ending... I bought a pair of Rachel Comey oxfords which after 2 wears had threads popping out of the fabric upper. I was displeased so I emailed her studio and to my surprise Rachel responded her damn self. She had me send her the shoes, she personally fixed them and shipped back to me. In hindsight I may have been a whiny brat but she was so cool to take care of my complaint personally. Had the shoes for a while now and damn do they break in nicely.

auto90403

Reaction score
I have 4-5 pairs of shoes/boots from the old New & Lingwood (before the South Africans or wherever they were from, bought them) that are at least 25 years old and going strong. Shoe trees, new soles/heels as needed and regular application of leather condition and I expect them to last me another 25 years.

All my salesmen moved over Cleverley. They took my business with them. My oldest Cleverleys go back about 14 years.

Yardsale

Reaction score
best: band of outsiders cord suit. though I assume it's because they were done by martin greenfield and less about BoO's craftsmanship.

worst: anything opening ceremony makes is pretty shoddy construction. topman is pretty crap as well but at least that's cheap

escarole

Reaction score
by far the worst for me was an opening ceremony button down shirt. 2 buttons fell off within the first 2 wears! i mean it really takes talent to not be able to properly sew a damn button on a button down shirt, yet still get $200+ for it. definitely an example of a brand that worked the fashion game masterfully without ever bothering to learn how to actually make clothes. fool me once ........

svelten

Reaction score
Best:
An Energie zip-up sweater that I've owned for 3 years. No matter how chauchy or trashy it appears, it's extremely warm, bulletproof and has survived all kinds of winter madness with barely any noticeable wear.

Worst:
Filippa K button cardigan. Ridiculously flimsy, especially the buttons. Does not hold up well to washing (even hand washing), despite no tags stating it is "dry clean only". Had it for a year now and have only managed to get a couple of wears out of it.

Trendy Sing Sing

Reaction score
My worst is probobly everything that I've bought from H and M that has buttons on it, after 6 months. Also, a button broke off of my grey AA jeans. Just started building up my wardrobe though, so only time will tell the best quality.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best: Red Wing 1911, Diesel oxford, BoO oxfords

Worst: EG Raglan hoodie. Seems started coming apart after a month. Funny how it cost 5x more than my American Apparel hoodie but my AA hoodie is in just as good shape as the day I got it 2 years ago.

KenN

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Johnny_5
Best: Red Wing 1911, Diesel oxford, BoO oxfords

Worst: EG Raglan hoodie. Seems started coming apart after a month. Funny how it cost 5x more than my American Apparel hoodie but my AA hoodie is in just as good shape as the day I got it 2 years ago.

I concur on EG's lack of quality, some of their items do start to deteriorate after a few washes.

AA hoodies are crap, they lose their shape after a season or so; however, they remain mechanically intact (unlike some of my EG stuff).

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Worst: Anything and everything I've bought from Burlington Coat Factory. Seriously, never buy anything from there, regardless of the brand. They all fall apart.

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have some Timberland boots that are going on 20 years and still kicking the **** out of anything that comes in my way.

Vashin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
my white BoO shirts are pretty fracked up but I still love them nonetheless. I think best would probably be the SDA-103s they have taken a lot of beating but are still holding the indigo well.

dfagdfsh

Professional Style Farmer
Reaction score
best: anything from rag & bone, especially outerwear.
worst: a pair of ps by paul smith sneaks that ripped along the sole edge after 4 wears. glad I got them cheap

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 82 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 85 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.2%

Forum statistics

Threads