• I'm happy to introduce the Styleforum Happy Hour, our brand new podcast featuring lively discussion about menswear and the fashion industry. In the inaugural edition, a discussion of what's going on in retail today. Please check it out on the Journal. All episodes will be also be available soon on your favorite podcast platform.

• Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 5: Good Art HLYWD rosette courtesy of Self Edge

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 5th auction is for a custom Good Art HLYWD bracelet courtesy of Self Edge. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Best and Worst Bang For The Buck: Stores

2sweet

Reaction score
Which stores offer the best and the worst bang for the buck?

Here are my picks for best (in no particular order):

1. landsend.com: I put them on the list for their down vest alone. It's super light and very warm.
2. jcrew: their stuff holds up well over time.
3. AA: their t shirts use a thick, high quality cotton and they are holding up well over two to three years time.

worst:
1. Men's Wearhouse: durability is the worst (for their shirts). Prices are unjustifiably high.
2. Gap: incredibly boxy, oversized fit on most clothes. Prices are unjustifiably high.

Add your picks to the list...

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Best bang for the buck for shoes, I've realized: Allen Edmonds. I've only got one pair (sharkskin bought off of ebay) and many others that I see here are a little too conventionally styled for my tastes, but the workmanship is great for their price.

I haven't bought anything from Lands End since the late 80's, but I returned the shirts due to the poor quality; but there's been a lot of water under the bridge since then.

For a mail-order place, I've always loved L.L. Bean. I must say that they, even still, are a great bang for the buck. They've got a lot of clothes, boots, and belts that are timeless classics and made to last for decades.

Men's Wearhouse is just horrible. They are the Applebees of retail clothing.

lizmasc

Reaction score
Those seem to be reasonable picks for best and worst bang for the buck stores. Let me just add ebay to that list, that it could be either on top or bottom of the list and at the same time

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
J.Crew is in the best bang for the buck category for me, especially when I get their items on discount.

bigbris1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Best:

eBay for obvious reasons
Century21 for shoe trees, ties & dress shirts (I wear 16.5/37)
SYMS for dress shirts, ties, leather gloves, odd jackets, suits (when they have an event)

El Mundo 134th & B'way; for countless items I've scored for a buck, dresses, leather shoes & boots for the wife for $15. I bought 4x100% cashmere sweaters here for $10 ea. This store is awesome sometimes.

Wednesday I bought:

6 pair GoldToe Premier Northport Cotton Crew socks in different colors
5 pair of navy blue dress GoldToe,
3 pair Tasso Elba dress socks,
2 Hilfiger dress socks,
1 Alfani dress socks,
2 pair RLP boxers,
a Burberry tie,
a Henry Jacobson tie,
2 knit hats,
a Hilfiger sport shirt,
leather gloves for the wife,

All NWT for $49

Worst:

I don't know, I stick to my faves & pretty much get all I need.

amerikajinda

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I found some Falke socks at Marshall's the other day for $9.99. I like Marshall's and T.J. Maxx as far as bang for the buck goes...

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would have to say that Express is on my list for the worst bang for your buck. Their fabrics and construction do not command their prices. Perhaps half or less than half of their prices would be fair.

ennui

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mannix
I would have to say that Express is on my list for the worst bang for your buck. Their fabrics and construction do not command their prices. Perhaps half or less than half of their prices would be fair.

Really? When their shirts are on sale (and they seem to always be on sale), it doesn't get any cheaper for the fit. It beats even H&M in terms of price. I got 2 of the 1MX Fitted shirts for around $17-20 each during black Friday. The shirt material quality and build suck, but the fit is good for me and for that price they're throwaways and definitely not a bad value.

Mannix

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dswang
Really? When their shirts are on sale (and they seem to always be on sale), it doesn't get any cheaper for the fit. It beats even H&M in terms of price. I got 2 of the 1MX Fitted shirts for around $17-20 each during black Friday. The shirt material quality and build suck, but the fit is good for me and for that price they're throwaways and definitely not a bad value.

When they're on deep sale they're fair priced, other than that....

2sweet

Reaction score
Good call. Ross in bigger market cities gives some bangin good deals at times too...

Originally Posted by amerikajinda
I like Marshall's and T.J. Maxx as far as bang for the buck goes...

fries

Reaction score
Not sure if anyone has visited Mexx but I think that place is great. They've got 50% off on everything this week too.

mkarim

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by 2sweet
Which stores offer the best and the worst bang for the buck?

Here are my picks for best (in no particular order):

1. landsend.com: I put them on the list for their down vest alone. It's super light and very warm.
2. jcrew: their stuff holds up well over time.
3. AA: their t shirts use a thick, high quality cotton and they are holding up well over two to three years time.

worst:
1. Men's Wearhouse: durability is the worst (for their shirts). Prices are unjustifiably high.
2. Gap: incredibly boxy, oversized fit on most clothes. Prices are unjustifiably high.

Add your picks to the list...

I would say Banana Republic. Their quality, already low, has gone down even more.

Styleforum is proudly sponsored by

Featured Sponsor

How many pairs of shoes do you own?

• 1 - 4

Votes: 28 3.6%
  • 5 - 10

Votes: 137 17.4%
  • 11 - 20

Votes: 257 32.6%
  • 21 - 30

Votes: 124 15.7%
  • 31 - 40