1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

best albums of 2006?

Discussion in 'Social Life, Food & Drink, Travel' started by bkrstic, Dec 5, 2006.

1. Stax

Stax Senior member

that album was somewhat of a disappointment, having had all the earlier demos for a long time i was really expecting something more, but their live show....wow

I agree with you, in fact. Many of the demos blow away the album versions and many of my faves didn't make the album. But the album still blows away most of the other crap out there this year. And the live show....wow

2. pdxjayhawk

pdxjayhawk Member

Corrine Bailey Rae.

Self titled debut.

Awesome stuff from a gal out of Britain who can really do old school R&B

3. whodini

whodini Senior member

Top Three Performances of the Year:

1. Jens Lekman w/ Beirut at The Bowery Ballroom
    2. Wolf Parade at The Black Cat
    3. TV on the Radio at 9:30 Club

Someone's a DC kid...

4. Zubberah

Zubberah Senior member

I can't think of one great album this year. Unfortunately. And I have heard over 100 given one of my best friends is a music reviewer. many of the above I would classify as "mediocre" to good at best. Just MO.

5. Manny Calavera

Manny Calavera Senior member

I can't think of one great album this year. Unfortunately. And I have heard over 100 given one of my best friends is a music reviewer. many of the above I would classify as "mediocre" to good at best. Just MO.

Heh, that's odd. I write about music also and I thought this year was an astounding year for music. Besides the disappointments (Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Flamings Lips, anything Bob Pollard touches), this has been the best year for music in quite a long time.

And whodini: yeah. [​IMG] I went to a lot of great out of town performances this year, but I'm really biased towards Black Cat. Such a fun venue.

6. whodini

whodini Senior member

Heh, that's odd. I write about music also and I thought this year was an astounding year for music. Besides the disappointments (Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Flamings Lips, anything Bob Pollard touches), this has been the best year for music in quite a long time. And whodini: yeah. [​IMG] I went to a lot of great out of town performances this year, but I'm really biased towards Black Cat. Such a fun venue.
    Black Cat is just a very welcomed addition to the DC scene.

7. chicagobull

chicagobull Well-Known Member

I'm not sure of too many but

Lupe Fiasco's Lupe Fiasco's Food and Liquor

is pretty damned good. Certainly in a top ten of someone's I would think.

b

I 2nd that.. I have also had the red hot chilli peppers, stadium arcadium, in my car's cd changer since it came out.

8. trogdor

trogdor Senior member

[...]
    Boris: Dronevil Final
    Boris: Pink
    [...]
    Sunn O))): White Box

Good call on these; in fact, the collaborative album -- Altar -- between Sunn O))) and Boris should have made my top 10 list for the year.

I saw Sunn O))) live last month, and it was probably the best show I've ever seen. One chord at 160dB lasting for 90 minutes. Awesome.

9. Kennils

Kennils Member

I have to give this one to Gnarls Barkley with St. Elsewhere. What an amazing and listenable album. I also loved Regina Spektor's Begin to Hope.

10. Bandwagonesque

Bandwagonesque Senior member

Asobi Seksu's Citrus gets my vote.

I have to say I was hugely disappointed by the Raconteurs as well. I'm not a big Jack White fan, but I dig Benson, and the Greenhornes... this album was just shite.

Oh yah, and really good albums this year from Mando Diao, Sloan, Black Angels, You Am I, Blue Van, umm... forget who else.

11. dan87

dan87 Active Member

Neko Case-Fox Confessor Brings The Flood
    The Wailin Jennys-Firecracker
    Sarah Harmer-I Am A Mountian
    Bob Dylan-Modern Times

12. ghostdeini

ghostdeini Well-Known Member

this is kind of off-topic, but can anybody recommend me something that sounds like m83? already checked out ulrich schnauss, squarepusher, and manitoba.

13. old viking ring

old viking ring Active Member

His Name Is Alive: Detrola

These guys (and girl) are still around? I remember seeing them about 12 years ago. Good shit, I'll have to check into it.

14. DeSica

DeSica Senior member

Bruce Springsteen - The Seeger Sessions. Old timey folk rocks!

Bob Dylan - Modern Times. Rounds out the comeback trio along with Time out of Mind and Love & Theft

Razorlight - Razorlight. Wasn't bad at all

Cat Power - The Greatest. Hardcore fans don't think it stands up to some of her more adventurous stuff, but a nice listen none the less.

The Killers - Sam's Town. Feels lacking at first, but grows on you, like a Coldplay CD

15. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

Hip Hop is Dead- Nas
    Mary J. Blidges album
    King - T.I