Best $400-$600 Suit

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by ridikulas, May 16, 2011.

1. JamesX

JamesX Senior member

I got the Ludlow Linen Suit back when it was on sale. I am 5'9" 38S, and 32w. So we are similar in build. It fits my body profile very well. Get plenty of compliments. I would not have bought it if it were full price.

But I live in Casual Central (e.g. Southern CA) so YMMV.

2. Allez Allez

Allez Allez Senior member

You should check out Nordstrom Rack or Loehmann's; they will have a lot of selection in that price range. Not sure if it meets your fit requirements, but you could definitely score a Hickey Freeman at that price. There is a lot of Hugo Boss hate on this forum, but a lot of people like them and they have a very modern cut. Again, Nordstom Rack is a good bet for HB in that price range.

3. eltoshan

eltoshan Member

Could also try Saks off Fifth. Find a friend to go in on the Buy-one-get-one-free suit deal and you could get a Corallo Rosso for $350~$400.

4. deveandepot1

deveandepot1 Senior member

Brooks Brothers(During their sale season) or the B&S are your best bets.

5. Dressed2the9s

Dressed2the9s Senior member

I'm in the market for a new $400 to $600 suit. I'm looking for something with the best material and fit. I'm 5'8" 150 lbs and usually a 38S with 31 waist so I'm looking for a fairly slim-cut suit. I've tried Pronto Uomo but I wasn't too impressed with the cut or finish.

I've pretty much narrowed it down to J.Crew Ludlow and Brooks Brothers Regent. Which one do yall prefer? What other brands in my price range should I be looking at? Thanks for the help.

J. Crew - has more waist suppression to show off a thin waist.

Regent - has more of a relaxed fit (is more forgiving in the stomach).

Both are offered in 100% wool, and offer half canvas/fused construction) and you can get discounts on both (J.Cew offers sales through the year and a 15% student discount). And you'll see on their websire that Brooks Brothers offers discounts all the time even on made-to-measure events.

Personally, my money is on J.Crew. Why? Simply because they fit me better off the rack, and offer 3 piece suits and narrower lapels. The mill they use is italian (even though its made in Mexico), for the amount of details you get for a "mall suit", its not bad (try to get it on sale if you can). Again this is what I personally like, since Fitzgerald was too boxy for me off the rack (though I the Brooks Brothers stores in my state don't have the "Milano" fit, so I can'
    completely write BBrothers off).

I thought this link was useful too, take what you will from it:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...135584478.html

Don't take my word for it:

6. TonyThe Tailor

TonyThe Tailor Senior member

S. Cohen in the Positano model

7. ridikulas

ridikulas New Member

J. Crew - has more waist suppression to show off a thin waist.

Regent - has more of a relaxed fit (is more forgiving in the stomach).

Both are offered in 100% wool, and offer half canvas/fused construction) and you can get discounts on both (J.Cew offers sales through the year and a 15% student discount). And you'll see on their websire that Brooks Brothers offers discounts all the time even on made-to-measure events.

Personally, my money is on J.Crew. Why? Simply because they fit me better off the rack, and offer 3 piece suits and narrower lapels. The mill they use is italian (even though its made in Mexico), for the amount of details you get for a "mall suit", its not bad (try to get it on sale if you can). Again this is what I personally like, since Fitzgerald was too boxy for me off the rack (though I the Brooks Brothers stores in my state don't have the "Milano" fit, so I can'
    completely write BBrothers off).

I thought this link was useful too, take what you will from it:

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...135584478.html

Don't take my word for it:

Thanks for this

8. westinghouse

westinghouse Senior member

A half price Burberry suit from Saks Off 5th Ave.

9. Patek14

Patek14 Senior member

Wait for a 25% off sale at Nieman Marcus Last Call or find a Saks Off 5th that carries HF mainline. Buy HF mainline...I like the madison model

10. Allen

Allen Senior member

Jos. A. Bank is what I would choose on that budget. Some of their suit aren't under 600, but they are almost always on sale

11. Superfluous

Superfluous Senior member

Wait for a 25% off sale at Nieman Marcus Last Call or find a Saks Off 5th that carries HF mainline. Buy HF mainline...I like the madison model

You can find the fully-canvassed madisons at 30-40% off of $600, which is a great price for a plain navy or navy with pinstriped full canvass suit... however, the cut is old fashioned and boxy.

12. imschatz

imschatz Senior member

Check out www.malfordoflondon.com .. I'm absolutely in love the fit on the Aquascutum and Paul Smith suits - and the price charged for new suits rivals B&S.

13. musososeki

musososeki Well-Known Member

Armand Basi

$20 extra for alterations, though most stores that carry him will alter for no extra charge

Anyone here who tells you $600 won't buy you a nice suit is a snob and an asshole

14. aj_del

aj_del Senior member

595 for Caruso Sartoria Parma at ehaberdasher. For 695, lots of Stile Latino (supposedly made by Attolini)