• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Best 3rd Party Sales Training You've Received

NH_Clark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arrogant Bastard
The keys to great salesmanship are, in order of importance, customer insight and flexibility. Insight into your target buyer -- org structures, needs, politics, decisionmaking flows and hierarchies, industry position, etc. -- is crucial. It basically tells you exactly what your buyer would like to buy. Flexibility is the other component, and there is a tiny bit of amorality to it. Chances are, your product or service isn't going to be a perfect fit with a prospect's exact needs. You need to know how to fit your square peg into the prospect's round hole by making your peg seem as round as possible. Don't lie about what you're selling, but be acutely aware of the areas of overlap between your product's benefits and the target's needs.
+1 In my experience, Miller Heiman is good.. TAS (Target Account Selling) is decent... there is a relatively new one out called Holden Power Base Selling... I like it as it requires sales reps look past the Org Chart and figure out who the true decision-makers are in a company. Some skills can't be taught... empathy, attentive-listening, innate ability to build rapport & trust... those are things you should bring to the table. Also, don't underestimate the need to identify a truly broken business process... companies won't spend money on something that doesn't hurt enough. Lastly, if you can't address how your product/service either makes them money or saves them money.. don't bother.

xpress

Reaction score
As a salesman, I agree with most of what has been posted.

In my experience, the best training has always been from a decent mentor.

However, since you have access to funding for a sales program I would recommend staying FAR away from anything based around the Acclivus system (R3 systems, etc.)
They may be recognized by more then 100 companies, and in a plethora of countries, but their product is (IMO) terrible.
PM for details.

Lord-Barrington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by KPO89
I sell complex wireless communication solutions to local, state, and federal agencies. This is more or less major account management and acquisitions.

I just started so I need everything.

I even need to learn what my goals should be.

Forget sales training. Get your hands on as many old RFPs, RFIs, and contracts from all three levels of government and comb over those things. For someone selling directly to the public sector, understanding the sourcing and contracting process in depth will do way more for you than any sales training ever could.

KPO89

Reaction score
^This is actually great advice because I've experienced that this week. The technicalities of it all are often more important than the typical selling and telling structures.

CDN1989

Reaction score
this doesn't count, but I just finished one week of sales training with Xerox,,, amazing

Braydon01

Reaction score
Your employer is providing you a great opportunity. Undergoing sales training helps to incorporate and improve the business and leadership skills. Search in the internet and look for companies that provide these kind of training and this will be helpful.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads