• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke with Al's Attire in San Francisco

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks to Slewfoot's great tobacco fresco buy of 2012, I took 3 meters of the stuff to Al. Here's some quick facts:

Measurements will be taken. Your best-fitting jacket / trousers are recommended, but not necessary. I took a jacket & pair of trousers in & left them with him.

A paper cutout will be done. Three fittings are normal, but he says "as many as it takes." I like that.

All work is done on premises, or at home by workers he has trained.

Unless otherwise requested, jackets are full canvas.

He has a variety of cloth from English & Italian mills, although he said he had nothing like the fresco & that it was a good price :slayer:

Jackets are hand-padded, and buttonholes are sewn by hand. Not sure of the quality of the buttonholes; have yet to see.

Price, excluding fabric, is from $750-$950.

He says the suit should be finished in 4 weeks, depending on fittings.

Despite my relatively short stature and build (between PSG & Foo), he said 3 meters might not be enough. I certainly hope so.

Al has been making suits & clothes here in San Francisco for over 35 years, and appreciates making a suit when the opportunity arises. If this one goes well, I just may do another fresco or flannel. Not sure yet; depends on how cold it'll be this summer :sarcasm:

Will update with pics & more details as they come in.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good to hear, Moo. I really hate sloppy buttonholes.

Nick from Jack/Knife had nothing but good words for him. I hear his shoes are epic. He says he's currently boycotting Horween due to the exorbitant price on cordovan. He makes his own (!) It's not shiny like Horween's, but you can tell it's cordovan. Might get a pair of boots next.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score
I saw some of the shoes; I saw nice shapes but couldn't tell if they were all new, some vintage or what. Are they all made by him?

As for making his own shell, that is pretty awesome. Snap a pic next time you're there!

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Besides himself, he has a team of people making the shoes, all there in the shop. I'll take pics of the leather next time I'm there.

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Looking forward to your updates. A local bespoke tailor would be convenient.

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I met Al couple of years back when me and emptym walked in their store. too bad that was my last day in sf and my funds were depleted else I would've ordered a couple of his shirts. in any case, Al is a very nice guy, very friendly and passionate about his craft. also remember he has (had) an assistant that was kinda cute, but I'm digressing. please keep us posted UC.

Mr. Moo

Boxercise Toughguy
Reaction score

I met Al couple of years back when me and emptym walked in their store. too bad that was my last day in sf and my funds were depleted else I would've ordered a couple of his shirts. in any case, Al is a very nice guy, very friendly and passionate about his craft. also remember he has (had) an assistant that was kinda cute, but I'm digressing. please keep us posted UC.

Yes.

emptym

Reaction score
I'm glad you went to Al's, P. Looking forward to seeing the results. Been wanting to go ever since AB and I stopped by.
His default style is pretty rustic, but he says he can be as refined as you'd like with buttonholes, etc. Did you show him your Chan ones?

I hope too that 3 yards is enough.

Last edited:

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

Jackets are hand-padded, and buttonholes are sewn by hand. Not sure of the quality of the buttonholes; have yet to see.

i-HWf5wkZ-X2.jpg

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice, but I'd be interested to see if he can do finer buttonholes. That is to say, those are nice, but if I saw shirt-style buttonholes on my suit, I'd be a little disappointed. Here's a pic from JeffreyD's blog:

So far Al has been very congenial, very "can-do". Before I even said I wanted a flat shoulder with minimal padding, the first thing he said was that I'd look strange in his default "house" style, which has roped shoulders and a more horizontal British-influenced shoulder (I've got swimmer's back).

Now, If he can do asola lucida style buttonholes, I'd be ecstatic.

F. Corbera

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
P, it strikes me as unreasonable to expect that level of hand-finishing at that price point.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads