• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
he got a refund and a new item, so nothing to report I assume?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

romafan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Take heart folks - if it's true that a refund has been secured from The Real McCoy's I think there could be the chance that :foo2: might be reconsidering his original plan to go with Charvet, providing of course that a suitable denim can be sourced (always a big question mark). We may get to 200 yet...

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I can't wait for the next post from :foo2: on who makes the best denim for bespoke western shirts. 80 pages of arguing only for :foo2: to ignore everyone and do his own thing.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Who the hell orders 50 pairs at one go?
One of my tailors had a good client in San Francisco who would have countless -- from my point of view -- orders. On their visits to San Francisco, his items alone would fill a closet at the hotel. I'm remembering three suits in the same cloth ... just different colorways. I always thought of Flusser's words "in color combinations so sophisticated that not only would they be marked down elsewhere, they would probably have to be given away." His clothing ultimately influenced many of my future choices.

TN001

Reaction score
What's the old joke that you can do with tailors, cobblers, or gunsmiths . . . woman walks into the shop with an old tattered claim check and tells the tailor "my husband died years ago in the war, and I only recently found this claim check with your address on it, so I assume he had something that was never picked up". The tailor looked at the check, disappeared into the back room for a bit, and reappeared "yes madam, tweed single breasted jacket, should be ready next Friday".

Meyer & Mortimer, not surprisingly, is fairly old school about payment. A small deposit up front and then the remainder on a simple invoice that accompanies the finished garment. That said, I like to pay every time I see them so that my "Minister of Finance" (who I also sleep with) doesn't notice a large transaction. This is an arrangement that most stores catering to gentlemen are quite familiar with. Crockett & Jones also sends the boxes to my office.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That said, I like to pay every time I see them so that my "Minister of Finance" (who I also sleep with) doesn't notice a large transaction. This is an arrangement that most stores catering to gentlemen are quite familiar with. Crockett & Jones also sends the boxes to my office.
I did that as well. ;)

Last edited:

TN001

Reaction score
I did that as well. ;)

A friend of mine said "it's your money, why go through the hassle, just be up front with her", to which I said "One, avoiding the conversation is just easier, and two, you're obviously not really a clothes guy". My friend said this after some sweaters from J Press were delivered to my FORMER office address, which he now happens to occupy.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Tailors should keep a stack of Gap clothing labels, Gap invoices, and Gap shipping boxes for such customers. When you order, they just sew the Gap label into the in-breast pocket, write up the Gap receipt, and ship it in a Gap box.

TN001

Reaction score
Tailors should keep a stack of Gap clothing labels, Gap invoices, and Gap shipping boxes for such customers. When you order, they just sew the Gap label into the in-breast pocket, write up the Gap receipt, and ship it in a Gap box.

Brilliant.

"Oh look, the Gap is doing windowpane suits this year!"

There was a gunmaker who posted a notice on IG that said "for an additional $100, we will supply you with an invoice that matches the amount you told your spouse you paid".

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads