• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see just as much style in someone who dons an acid-wash denim jacket, 'cigarette' plaid trousers, and combat boots as I do in anyone who wears a suit and silk shirt, or a completely androgynous outfit - so long as all are true to that person's personality, and the outfit speaks the truth about them.

Isn’t this just a necessary but not sufficient condition for being stylish? I’ve never met anyone who really thought it was more than a necessary condition.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
guise... to inspire @TheFoo and to rail this thread away from #catcore, I dug up this pic of Alan Flusser's own custom cowboy boots, from 1981's Making teh Man. Note the top hat, cane and glove details. The longhorn skull flanked by the "A F" initials is kind of metal tho, although not metal af. #seewhatIdidthere I believe @RSS wears these around Chateau RSS.

1624122810795.png

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
guise... to inspire @TheFoo and to rail this thread away from #catcore, I dug up this pic of Alan Flusser's own custom cowboy boots, from 1981's Making teh Man. Note the top hat, cane and glove details. The longhorn skull flanked by the "A F" initials is kind of metal tho, although not metal af. #seewhatIdidthere I believe @RSS wears these around Chateau RSS.

View attachment 1627305

When I say that's sexy af, I mean sexy Alan Flusser

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
When I say that's sexy af, I mean sexy Alan Flusser
"Stupid sexy Flusser."
VfDuAm.gif

@dieworkwear should do a piece on Flanders style. Between his normcore wardrobe and his Assassins sneakers he'd be quite contemporadiddliary

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn’t this just a necessary but not sufficient condition for being stylish? I’ve never met anyone who really thought it was more than a necessary condition.

I'd say it's actually the sufficient condition. To me, putting together a cohesive outfit, looking sharp/pretty/interesting, or even being comfortable in one's appearance is definitely necessary, but not enough. I've known several people that seemed superficially stylish, but what they wore was never really 'them,' and it showed.

Whenever I see someone whose personality and inner self manifests in their style, they always seem better-dressed. This is also the only definition of style I know of that is inclusive of other possible kinds of style besides only CM, or streetwear, or high fashion, etc.

Often it seems like the posts about CM being more elegant/classy or stuffy/dead - or streetwear being more modern/creative or ugly/weird - are based upon a kind of definition of 'style' that seeks to elevate one perspective over another. Which is totally valid and fine, but I wish the ones posting those points (not naming anyone in particular, so don't get your panties in a twist people) would be more honest to themselves/others about it, because then at least they'd be grounding their argument in a realistic subjectivity which seems to be lacking in those conversations.

For example: Take just about blog post/forum comment about the 'correct' way to dress for any event/outing/thing.

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say it's actually the sufficient condition. To me, putting together a cohesive outfit, looking sharp/pretty/interesting, or even being comfortable in one's appearance is definitely necessary, but not enough. I've known several people that seemed superficially stylish, but what they wore was never really 'them,' and it showed.

OK so you're saying there are two necessary conditions (cohesiveness/interest + individual authenticity), and jointly they are necessary and sufficient. That's a much more plausible view than the one you put forward earlier. Sorry for nitpicking.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Again with The True Inner Self™. ?

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK so you're saying there are two necessary conditions (cohesiveness/interest + individual authenticity), and jointly they are necessary and sufficient. That's a much more plausible view than the one you put forward earlier. Sorry for nitpicking.

No problem at all. Perhaps I wasn't entirely clear on that, but that's it in a nutshell.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Again with The True Inner Self™. ?

Not all of us are empty inside. Sometimes there are nasty things that must be displayed.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you feel seen? I can give you my bolo tie.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No. Your stare is lost deep inside the empty abyss that is my inner self. ?

I'm so sorry. I'd offer more consolation, but I know it would just fall away into the oblivion of that endless cavern. Cool stalactites though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads