• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I went to office for 2 days miss out 300+ notification from SF, I assume this got to be a big portion of it, and here is my catch up cat contribution

View attachment 1626306 View attachment 1626307 View attachment 1626309
BC8476DD-5176-40A0-A37F-879C4B7721F9.gif

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm kinds surprised that the post of Derek's Bolo tie didn't get more pro and anti bolo posts.

That's because the people who like that style were too busy fondling their own bolos, and the ones who know bolo ties are ridiculous also know that you can't persuade crazy.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like how Brett at AoM wears his. I don't think I can pull off the same style, but just because it's not for me doesn't mean it can't look good on someone else.

bolo-B.jpg

Brett first wore his bolo tie when he laid his grandfather to rest. The other men in his family did the same as a tribute to their grandfather, who was known for wearing bolo ties. Brett later wore the style to church. I don't know if the style is common where he lives. Perhaps it is. If it's authentic to you, I think it can work. My friend John wore his when he visited San Francisco and I think he was quite stylish. It suited his Southwestern background.

pall.jpg

I interviewed someone really stylish last night for a story I'm working on. He said that too many men focus on what others are wearing when they examine style, and not enough on why that person is wearing such a thing. If you only look at the items, then you might think such and such thing is odd. Or you think it's great. And then you put the thing on yourself. Whereas, if you think about why that person wore such a thing, you can gain a better understanding of how to be stylish yourself.

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I believe Brett has some Southwestern heritage himself, along with Mexican ancestry, so it's definitely something that plays into that. My own grandfather wore bowties with all of his suits, and I like to think that every time I wear one myself (usually only formally) I'm carrying on a tradition of sorts.

That said, who cares?

The reasons I have for wearing my clothes are immaterial in terms of how stylish it may be, and my persona might change from day to day. No one will know the reasons I have for choosing my style unless they ask me directly. What they will see is whether that I look stylish - i.e. whether my own individuality is showing through my clothing choices, and whether it seems to suit me. That can be accomplished without knowing any reasons.

Nice to see that you're coming around to a more individualistic understanding of style though.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You keep mentioning this and I have no idea what you're talking about.

A lot of people who talk about style believe that some outfit or another can be judged more or less 'good style' on the basis of its adherence to style rules, or what other people think of the outfit's merits, or what other people's standards are. Many times these observations are made by people who actually live outside of their iconic rule-makers' ideas of taste in the first place - i.e. a Russian Canadian talking about English standards of black tie propriety.

I think that this is nonsense. To quote a much greater mind than mine:

"Style is an idiom which arises spontaneously from one's personality but which is deliberately maintained. Or to put it another way: To be a stylist is to be yourself, but on purpose." - Quentin Crisp

I see just as much style in someone who dons an acid-wash denim jacket, 'cigarette' plaid trousers, and combat boots as I do in anyone who wears a suit and silk shirt, or a completely androgynous outfit - so long as all are true to that person's personality, and the outfit speaks the truth about them.

The only way in which it could possibly matter why so-and-so chose an item would be to understand why that choice reflects their style.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
A lot of people who talk about style believe that some outfit or another can be judged more or less 'good style' on the basis of its adherence to style rules, or what other people think of the outfit's merits, or what other people's standards are. Many times these observations are made by people who actually live outside of their iconic rule-makers' ideas of taste in the first place - i.e. a Russian Canadian talking about English standards of black tie propriety.

I think that this is nonsense. To quote a much greater mind than mine:

"Style is an idiom which arises spontaneously from one's personality but which is deliberately maintained. Or to put it another way: To be a stylist is to be yourself, but on purpose." - Quentin Crisp

I see just as much style in someone who dons an acid-wash denim jacket, 'cigarette' plaid trousers, and combat boots as I do in anyone who wears a suit and silk shirt, or a completely androgynous outfit - so long as all are true to that person's personality, and the outfit speaks the truth about them.

The only way in which it could possibly matter why so-and-so chose an item would be to understand why that choice reflects their style.

Just because I don't like the outfits you post here doesn't mean I'm judging them according to some style rules. I just don't like how those outfits look.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads