• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've heard that one of the contributions to music made by the early psychedelic bands was the popularization of instrumental virtuosity. Here's a forerunner on the western theme

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've heard that one of the contributions to music made by the early psychedelic bands was the popularization of instrumental virtuosity. Here's a forerunner on the western theme

I love that sort of stuff. Not exactly Western -- more Appalacian folk -- but Roscoe Holcomb is also a favorite of mine

I can't seem to find it right now, but there was a period when America was obsessed with various types of folk music -- blues, Appalachian folk, and Western -- and some organizers held a concert that merged all these forms of music. This was in the 1960s or '70s, I believe. Lots of great, legendary American performers sharing the same stage.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
I've heard that one of the contributions to music made by the early psychedelic bands was the popularization of instrumental virtuosity.

So we have them to blame for Yngwie?

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This talk of music makes me think it might be a good day to put the Colter Wall album on and pour a glass of tea in the air conditioning while it’s too damn hot out for jeans and western shirts.

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bill monroe cut the bluegrass genre out of whole cloth (those high lonesome harmonies!) in the postwar years and then got sort of outmoded by rock n roll (chuck berry's solos crib liberally from monroe's tunes, maybelline sounds like a dancehall spoof) indeed there was a college campus revival of those acts by the early 70s norman blake etc

here's monroe and doc watson ripping up soldier's joy

HORNS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

In high school we used to go to Bob Wills Day in Turkey, TX and get drunk because that area was the only town for miles that sold alcohol.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
bill monroe cut the bluegrass genre out of whole cloth (those high lonesome harmonies!) in the postwar years and then got sort of outmoded by rock n roll (chuck berry's solos crib liberally from monroe's tunes, maybelline sounds like a dancehall spoof) indeed there was a college campus revival of those acts by the early 70s norman blake etc

here's monroe and doc watson ripping up soldier's joy

In its modified form the high lonesome sound was evangelized by Gram Parsons of the Flying Burrito brothers and embraced by the likes of bands from The Byrds to The Rolling Stones

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I love that sort of stuff. Not exactly Western -- more Appalacian folk -- but Roscoe Holcomb is also a favorite of mine

I can't seem to find it right now, but there was a period when America was obsessed with various types of folk music -- blues, Appalachian folk, and Western -- and some organizers held a concert that merged all these forms of music. This was in the 1960s or '70s, I believe. Lots of great, legendary American performers sharing the same stage.

Hardly Strictly Bluegrass is still an annual event of that type.

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Western Swing is such a fun genre. Going back probably almost a decade, I'd hang out at Jupiter Lounge in Berkeley, CA to watch various blue grass, old time americana and western swing bands. Bands would play out back in the beer garden. One group that i really liked was The Saddle Cats. They had the fits (western shirts, hats and one of them wore LVC) and the musical chops. Man, I miss the Before Times.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Western Swing is such a fun genre. Going back probably almost a decade, I'd hang out at Jupiter Lounge in Berkeley, CA to watch various blue grass, old time americana and western swing bands. Bands would play out back in the beer garden. One group that i really liked was The Saddle Cats. They had the fits (western shirts, hats and one of them wore LVC) and the musical chops. Man, I miss the Before Times.
Asleep at the Wheel was a local band in Berkeley for a few years back in the 70s

dopey

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think it's true that it often comes off as a costume. I personally don't mind and mostly just like having fun with clothes these days. If I end up looking a bit silly, I'm fine with that.

Personally think nearly all the clothes I wear just make me look like a "guy who's into clothes." That includes CM and SWD things.
I wore a pair of cowboy boots for a few years. My uncle bought them for me when I spent the summrer with him in Texas. When they wore out that was it, because, why would I buy a pair of cowboy boots? If he bought me another pair, then I am sure I would wear them again. That is a long way off saying . . . I not sure what.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads