• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

takashi78

Reaction score
Is there any existing podcasts he could be plugged into? Or do we need to make one? If we need to make one, I think I could host a podcast with @RSS. It would be more of a Bill Cunningham-esque general fashion show because I'd want to have models on and get some $$$ from advertisers when we blow up.

@RSS -- do you have an old voice or a young voice?

Off the top of my head, Blamo! podcast? LOL

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
But western wear was sort of in fashion at that time.
Sort of ... but in my opinion it was more costume than anything. It was a "fun" look. It was style without much substance. Just my point of view. I didn't see a lot of it in New York. Houston, perhaps. I spent a decade there one year in the 80's.

I'm not saying "the look" can't be done. As Foo notes, it can't -- or shouldn't -- be done as costume. That said, avoiding the look of costume may be harder to pull off than some think. But yes, it can be done. It's easier to talk the talk than it is to walk the walk.

I've probably just made a list of enemies ... but I'm being very sincere here. I am part owner of a ranch (since 94) and I will NOT "DO" cowboy. Now I have worn a cowboy hat on the property ... but only there ... and that is to keep the sun out of my eyes. When there I'm most often in my vintage 501's, a Bean work shirt, and an pair of leather boots with commando sole. I'm me, I'm NOT a pretend cowboy.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I think it's true that it often comes off as a costume. I personally don't mind and mostly just like having fun with clothes these days. If I end up looking a bit silly, I'm fine with that.

Personally think nearly all the clothes I wear just make me look like a "guy who's into clothes." That includes CM and SWD things.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey, if someone wants to do it ... do it. I'm fine with that. Enjoy your clothes.

As for podcasts. I enjoy watching them. I would not want to be a part of one.

EDIT: Too much zoom lately ... I meant listen.

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
i really think this would better without the white shirt lol but i love the choice of belt and think that is a great way to pull back on the throttle as far as western costume
I don't mind the t-shirt. I know exposed undershirts are hated on the forums (Was it someone on the LL who called them "the poor man's ascot"?), but it seems natural under a flannel or denim shirt. Found a few more, some w/ some w/o tees:

light khaki Wrangler

black Polo

gray Wrangler

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
When I try to copy an outfit I saw online:

Dg1JOWwUYAEmK0J.jpeg

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Hey, if someone wants to do it ... do it. I'm fine with that. Enjoy your clothes.

As for podcasts. I enjoy watching them. I would not want to be a part of one.
Understood. But if I ever convince @dieworkwear to launch the Die, Menswear! podcast we’re having you on our episode “Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?” (Where is my prairie song? Where is my happy ending?)

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Understood. But if I ever convince @dieworkwear to launch the Die, Menswear! podcast we’re having you on our episode “Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?” (Where is my prairie song? Where is my happy ending?)

I want to hear our man RSS opine on bespoke, not sure I care about his rancher opinion* but hey, I might be surprised.
*sorry RSS, you have all my esteem.

• Haha
Reactions: RSS

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
Personally think nearly all the clothes I wear just make me look like a "guy who's into clothes."

Our diasporic post-modern world push us towards a sub-group. These sub-groups are usually found online, and therefore people often feel like this online representation are the correct representation of themselves, not the "IRL" one.

People still seek subgroups in real life, like Foo and the Patagucci-economists, but it's less and less common to belong to one, but more common to identify with one on the internet.

Therefore, "dressing up in CM and SWD" is just a subgroup. Same as wearing westerns. And that's not costumey as other people often point out, that's just a clear presentation of the community one seeks in this day and age.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
“Where Have All the Cowboys Gone?” (Where is my prairie song? Where is my happy ending?)
Next week the ranch manager will be with us for four days ... here on the West Coast. Every now and then he likes a get away to semi-civilization. He is a 5th generation Montana cowboy. And come to think of it, I've never seen him in anything but western style clothing. He even has a black tie version of it. He has lived it all his life ... just as I've lived CM all mine. I was a khaki trouser boy. I don't remember wearing a pair of jeans until I was college age and they were all the rage.

I want to hear our man RSS opine on bespoke...
I'd more likely pine ... for the days when a SR bespoke suit was less than 4 figures and what we spend for one today would get you a small Mercedes.

And yes ... listen is the right word. Lately I'm too used to zoom. I fear it's going to stay with us post-COVID and I am not a fan. At the very least I hope zoom cocktail parties are over.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't mind the t-shirt. I know exposed undershirts are hated on the forums (Was it someone on the LL who called them "the poor man's ascot"?), but it seems natural under a flannel or denim shirt. Found a few more, some w/ some w/o tees:

With certain shirts -- denim, flannel, canvas, etc. -- I love the open neck ... with a white crewneck t-shirt SHOWING. I do this all the time. I don't give a damn what anyone says. Of course, I developed my sense of style before there were Internet forums to offer "help".

Last edited:

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
To follow-up on what I mentioned earlier...

Dressing in a classic style is a sub-group, with unique rules and expectations. Yet it's not as common anymore, and therefore it can't be what one compares everything too. When it comes to fit and quality, sure, but not "style".

Exactly this. Or a tank top showing. A+

Tank tops/t-shirts showing underneath a western styled shirt is "correct" in that western/workwear sub-group. If one tries to combine that sub-group with CM - and fails to do so - you end up with Crompton.

Be more like Mr. Winston.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads