• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I think this is a broader challenge within CM culture. Not necessarily classic men's style, but the sort of online culture that has been built around these clothes. Online, there's a culture where people have a very dialectical, analytical approach to clothing. That works for classic men's style because clothes used to be governed by time, place, and occasion, and you reach back into the "archives" (e.g., Apparel Arts images) to come up with some discussion about how men should dress.

But as the world has gotten more casual, a lot of guys who were previously into CM are now struggling to find ways to wear more casual outfits. Sometimes these casual CM outfits work, such as Simon's various outfits with Valstarinos. I like these outfits, for example.

View attachment 1624550

Some CM aesthetics also have a niche for casualwear, such as trad guys with Barbour, Shetlands, and OCBDs

View attachment 1624551

But these spaces are very small and limited. If a CM guy wants to expand his casual wardrobe, he's often stuck.

A lot of casual CM outfits to me look like business casual, "dad," or "#menswear." I don't think you can analyze your way out of this problem. Once you leave CM, fashion is more about sociology, identity, emotional resonance, etc.

Whenever Simon wears something more "adventurous," his comment section goes up in flames. People freak out because he's cultivated a very analytical, conservative type of audience. But also, some of these more adventurous looks aren't for everyone. Classic men's style is an easy plug-and-play. Most guys will look good in a navy sport coat or a grey suit. The proportions, when done well, are flattering because they conform to the idealized Western notion of a male body. They also speak a language everyone can understand -- classic menswear is the lingua franca of menswear -- and they often have a tinge of "respectability" that many guys find appealing.

But once you leave CM, it requires a totally different approach to fashion. You might need to know some things about history and sociology -- there's a "1980s punk look," a "1990s deconstructed Japanese look," or a "1970s cocaine cowboy look." It's not just an analytical problem. And even if you know about these things, such looks may not suit your personality, build, identity, or lifestyle. Sometimes Simon wears workwear-y things that I don't think suit him as well as his tailored clothing -- he's just a very "classic guy."

If you're only running a workwear blog and you're a "workwear guy," then you have a "workwear audience." But if you have a classic menswear blog and you're trying to explore casualwear, you're then caught in a bunch of problems. You can't easily import the analytical approach you took with CM. Things are not always about these precise notions of fit. And the styles may take more work to import. Your audience is probably not going to reform their entire identity around being a "workwear guy." It's much easier to foist classic men's style on a broader range of people because of the history of those clothes (again, it's the lingua franca of menswear). But a lot of guys aren't going to wear the more "coherent" outerwear pieces with that Western shirt because it doesn't suit their identity -- a black cowhide Schott double rider or an RRL ranch jacket or a vintage Lee 101J, etc. All those things require a different view of yourself.

Haven't been here in a while, and I wanted to ask something about all this convo earlier:

Exactly why does 'expanding your casual wardrobe' necessarily have to exclude CM-oriented outfits or style?

This again seems to me to be the natural product of imagining CM to be defined through a set of rigid rules, and that anything that falls outside of those parameters, no matter how slightly, must be considered 'non-CM' and therefore governed by other 'rules' like emotional resonance, political identity, etc., etc., blah blah blah.

It's nonsense. You can look Punk with a suit and tie, and you can look like an idiot in streetwear - no matter how much it resonates with you. Wearing tailored clothing with modern twists or high-fashion pieces isn't too much different from getting strange details put into your new suit or drafting a new cut with a tailor. And the people who want to police even that much difference from the Golden Age of CM are not only wrong, but also boring.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Haven't been here in a while, and I wanted to ask something about all this convo earlier:

Exactly why does 'expanding your casual wardrobe' necessarily have to exclude CM-oriented outfits or style?

This again seems to me to be the natural product of imagining CM to be defined through a set of rigid rules, and that anything that falls outside of those parameters, no matter how slightly, must be considered 'non-CM' and therefore governed by other 'rules' like emotional resonance, political identity, etc., etc., blah blah blah.

It's nonsense. You can look Punk with a suit and tie, and you can look like an idiot in streetwear - no matter how much it resonates with you. Wearing tailored clothing with modern twists or high-fashion pieces isn't too much different from getting strange details put into your new suit or drafting a new cut with a tailor. And the people who want to police even that much difference from the Golden Age of CM are not only wrong, but also boring.

I think we have different taste, which is fine. The things you've posted on this board as inspiration points just aren't to my taste.

NorCal

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
C06170E9-E323-4A42-9DE3-BF2E834E7D15.jpeg

This thread made me recall my own western wear days. I used to rock a kind of modified rockabilly look and I'd get my shirts on Mission Street at the Mexican Cowboy stores before it was totally gentrified. Panhandle Slim was my favorite brand, this one here is the last that still kind of fits. About 20 years old. I had one from a random Italian brand that I really liked as well.
I liked the Mexican stores because you were more likely to get the old school showy patterns, whereas the white-boy western work stores had the two-tone brush-hoppers.

Not really germane to most folks in this thread, but real western shirts are great to work in as well. I had a thin blue poly blend one that was great for chainsaw work. The collar helped keep sawdust out of my neck and it was thin enough to breathe really well, so I could keep the sleeves down and protect my dewey white ass.

I've never stopped loving the look, and I think the recommendations here have inspired me to pick up a few new shirts.
Foo deleivers.

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Unless I missed something I don't think anyone said that CM was excluded. Personally, that's still my preference. I am, however, liking NorCal's Panhandle Slim. Still, when I think of city fellers (myself included) in western wear, I think costume. But hey, each to his/her own. And yes, Foo does deliver ... even if the delivery isn't my thing.

Numbernine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty much a city boy even when I lived on a ranch it was only about a 10 minute drive to downtown San Jose
View attachment 1624657

This thread made me recall my own western wear days. I used to rock a kind of modified rockabilly look and I'd get my shirts on Mission Street at the Mexican Cowboy stores before it was totally gentrified. Panhandle Slim was my favorite brand, this one here is the last that still kind of fits. About 20 years old. I had one from a random Italian brand that I really liked as well.
I liked the Mexican stores because you were more likely to get the old school showy patterns, whereas the white-boy western work stores had the two-tone brush-hoppers.

Not really germane to most folks in this thread, but real western shirts are great to work in as well. I had a thin blue poly blend one that was great for chainsaw work. The collar helped keep sawdust out of my neck and it was thin enough to breathe really well, so I could keep the sleeves down and protect my dewey white ass.

I've never stopped loving the look, and I think the recommendations here have inspired me to pick up a few new shirts.
Foo deleivers.
There's still a store in downtown Watsonville that caters to that norteno ranchero look. I totally would have rocked this shirt in my " space cowboy" days.
7d431386c89365a53bd451ecb855b312.jpg

Spark

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow - this thread is a tour-de-*******-force. OG posters emerging from the shadows and weighing in, names I haven’t seen in more than a decade - Darren Beaman! - massive knowledge drops on shirts and boots, links to legendary rants and iconic images, Crompton agnosties, pandemic dressing, you name it, all punctuated by shots of snark to help it flow effortlessly along and capture the true essence of StyleFo’s finest.

And all because of the one and only Foo…

I don’t come by that often anymore, but this really brought it all rushing back. To be honest - I can’t remember the last time I went 50 pages deep, let alone on a thread with a page count that seemed be expanding geometrically even as I frantically punched “next” at the bottom of the screen. Truly epic…

I think the only thing this has missed so far was a link to that kid who was wearing suits 3x too large, asking for style advice, and then rejecting all comers.

Hats off to Matt for starting this ride and for rolling along with it. now onto the custom Charvet wife beaters!

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Westernwear is no stupider than workwear or sportswear as an inspiration for regular everyday casual wear. Just don’t wear it like a costume. Jeezus, how hard is that to do.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 38.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.1%

Forum statistics

Threads