• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Simon's website. As already mentioned, it provides uniform analyses
of prominent and not so prominent bespoke tailors, eg a guide to house styles, etc.
He responds promptly to questions, at least in my case. He also has (had) a career
in financial journalism and is therefore not a full-time "fashionista", which I consider a plus.

hoodog

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I don't know, I just think Simon wore that bandana really, really bad. Why would he tie it so far down like some kind of scarf? ?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I like this Westernwear look

Ezv49OgXsAAzxeQ.jpeg

GeneralEmployer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think his western shirt outfits look fucked, but there is no need to racialize things.

This times 100. It’s almost as if Crompton saw this threak and jumped Foo’s train: quick, need a Western shirt outfit! Almost as if...

Crompton just looks like an enormously fussy loon with a shopping problem. This is evident from how he talks price to quality ratios.

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I don't follow. Ralph's outfit is four western things and one non-western thing (the tweed jacket). Crompton's outfit is the opposite, with just one western element. In that sense they're comparable. If Ralph had worn a white OCBD he would've been a cowboy from the belt on down, and that would've been jarring. But, for example, he could've worn shoes other than cowboy boots and be fine (e.g. desert boots, work boots, even sneakers). I just don't see how this photo works as a critique of Crompton unless you think western elements need to become dominant in any outfit.

Well first, I don't agree that the coat is somehow "non-western" especially since it looks more like rough outerwear than sportcoat. So there's that. Next, again, I didn't say he needed to wear full on western boots, bolo tie and 10 gallon hat to pull off the western shirt. Only that pairing it with the shawl collared cardigan and relaxed fit office chinos just didn't look right to me. YMMV

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well first, I don't agree that the coat is somehow "non-western" especially since it looks more like rough outerwear than sportcoat. So there's that. Next, again, I didn't say he needed to wear full on western boots, bolo tie and 10 gallon hat to pull off the western shirt. Only that pairing it with the shawl collared cardigan and relaxed fit office chinos just didn't look right to me. YMMV

I think we may be talking past each other a bit, and I also think we don’t disagree all that much, except maybe on the connotations of shawl collar cardis.

Substanceoverstyle

Reaction score
I love how when a few minor criticisms are made of a Simon Compton fit, all these senior members turn up to defend "Simon," as if he has been subjected to the most awful and undue harassment as opposed to a couple of perfectly normal critiques. He's a privileged white guy with access in the industry, he doesn't need to be defended. It's especially bizarre given the same people were celebrating the "golden years of SF" a few pages ago, when the most horribly ****** behaviour was apparently hilarious...

What does his race have to do with any of this?

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like Simon. We don’t always see eye to eye but I admire that he genuinely likes clothes. I don’t mind that he defends his choices, and at times he’s open to suggestions. I’m enjoying his posts on casual wear and hope it pushes others that hesitate to try things outside of CM.

I know I don’t bat 1.00 and I think it’s unrealistic to expect anyone to do so. Every now & then we exchange differing viewpoints, but no need to eviscerate the guy.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
"I have a barbecue at my brother's place in foggy Pacifica in the afternoon and I'm meeting my BF at The Stud for 2-step night after. What should I wear?"

western-shirt-denim-style-1229x1536.jpg

ADN4561.jpg

denim-shirt-western-1229x1536.jpg

Salad

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't hate this fit. I think a wide leg khaki chino like say Buzz Rickson or something would be an improvement, though. Even w/ the bandana.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads