• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Almost every one. Scratch that. Every one of those "looks" look pretty bad to my eye. I think its the shawl collared cardigan and choice of pants. Points for trying to pair the wife-beater with the utilitarian western shirt there, but yeah, just doesn't work.

He looks awkward almost whatever he's wearing IMHO, but this is clueless.

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
He looks awkward almost whatever he's wearing IMHO, but this is clueless.
Im also curious like....he has so many clothes that he "has to review".... does he ever wear anything twice? Or like, enjoy his clothes?

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I thought he wear a lot his CM stuff frequently (or used to), and definitely beat some EG enough to require a resole (though to beat leather sole without topy to resole is pretty quick if you just happen to love that loafer etc.)

Texasmade

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Why HiveMind **** on Simon
I thought his bespoke suit series was nice. Best place to go to see different house styles on the same body. I just wish he was consistent across all houses and did a 2/3 piece SB suit but I guess with the amount of clothes he has that would be redundant.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yup I like his tailoring stuff and his opinion/comment on tailoring stuff, shoes not so sure, casual outfit, maybe but it's not too big of a step outside comfort zone from jcrew/rl the like anyway

radicaldog

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
for the way he is pairing might as well just go with any chambray shirt without the western detail then it will just be fine and basic I suppose
that's kind of what I was thinking myself..

Yeah, but it's not a bad look per se (except for the bandana, which is definitely trying too hard). It's just basic, and isn't that his aim? To show inexperienced dressers how to put together outfits that won't inflame people's retinas?

Reactions: RSS

garigo

Reaction score
82CE21AD-000A-4184-8AC8-3ECFB297D1AE.jpeg

Bromley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that if Simon was just some quiet guy in the industry that other people took/published pictures of, everyone would give his style a lot more slack. It's easy to make fun of him because he writes about putting his own outfits together. Perhaps we project our own insecurities? Anyway, it's also easy to make fun of him because he seems like a dweeb.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I think that if Simon was just some quiet guy in the industry that other people took/published pictures of, everyone would give his style a lot more slack. It's easy to make fun of him because he writes about putting his own outfits together. Perhaps we project our own insecurities? Anyway, it's also easy to make fun of him because he seems like a dweeb.
I am by no means a charitable person in my online critiques but however much one wants to hate him, he actually comes across as a reasonable, thoughtful guy... even if one disagrees with his casual fits.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I also think Simon is a reasonable guy without some of menswear ridiculous strong opinion I mean he is not the Foo type of I'm right always right, if you're not my way you're the wrong way type. I also thought his opinion on traditional CM stuff is good, just don't think he did particular well this case.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, but it's not a bad look per se (except for the bandana, which is definitely trying too hard). It's just basic, and isn't that his aim? To show inexperienced dressers how to put together outfits that won't inflame people's retinas?

you mean switch out western for chambary shirt without western detail or as it is?

gnatty8

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
you mean switch out western for chambary shirt without western detail or as it is?

here's the thing for me, it is just sort of inconsistent or incongruent with everything else he has on. For example, had Uncle Ralph worn a white OCBD shirt with the rest of this outfit below, I'd have thought "hmm, rare fail there Uncle Ralph"". Similar with this. Not to say to wear a western shirt well, you may only do so with the full kit, western boots, grape-smugglers and bolo tie. Not at all. I think its the shawl collared suburban dad cardigan and the jaunt to the mall chinos that make this a fail.

ralph.jpg

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I personally don't wear shawl collar cardigans outside of the home, but I wouldn't describe Simon's outfit as bad.

Personally don't understand the hatred he engenders. He has a very analytical approach to clothing that this forum seems to favor. He also promotes a dying trade and style. The fashion industry at this point is obsessed with the stupidest things -- inflatable Balenciaga sneakers, luxury normcore, and ironic clothes. Simon has done a lot to promote craft-based menswear and classic style in that space.

He wore this a while ago. I dig the outfit. The boots from this angle look like balmoral boots, but they are just regular CM-styled derby boots. The Western shirt is from Bryceland's.

denim-shirt-style-885x1328.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads