• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I can only speak to NYC. Suits were already disappearing from midtown as of 3-4 years ago. The streetwear craze and COVID delivered the coupe de grace.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
I even considered making the joke that you should rename your blog Die Classic Menswear,
I’ve been trying to get Derek and a few other wraiths from Old SF to do a podcast with me called Die, Menswear! So far they all think I am crazy. Which I am, but come on, it would be fun, like the Trashfuture of #menswear with less Jerk van der Klerk.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Awww how sad to see them go. I read that you’d adopted the midtown uniform. What shoes go with a Patagonia fleece. Do you dust off the G and G handmades or pony up for some Common Projects white sneakers or something?

You don’t adopt the midtown uniform. It happens to you. Like love.

Mirage-

Reaction score
I’ve been trying to get Derek and a few other wraiths from Old SF to do a podcast with me called Die, Menswear! So far they all think I am crazy. Which I am, but come on, it would be fun, like the Trashfuture of #menswear with less Jerk van der Klerk.

Should totally do it, as long as it's not Derek gushing about No Man Walks Alone or Mr Porter for 2 hours straight. Mostly because I generally can't afford most of the stuff either sells, but also because it's been done enough in his blog and various other podcasts. And I don't really get the excitement, they're just resellers in my eyes. The dreaded middleman all online brands are trying to execute, ahah.
For example I read Permanent Style (which someone here was mocking for being out of touch) weekly and still find useful content despite the fact that I can't afford a fraction of what Crompton buys (and our definitions of "value" are definitely far off). I find I agree on most of his musings on proportions and many other style matters and often look for those in my more modest purchases - although I cannot help but smile at his maniacal attempts to overanalyze and formalize "tiers" of formality in more layers than the majority of people are even aware exist.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Should totally do it, as long as it's not Derek gushing about No Man Walks Alone or Mr Porter for 2 hours straight. Mostly because I generally can't afford most of the stuff either sells, but also because it's been done enough in his blog and various other podcasts. And I don't really get the excitement, they're just resellers in my eyes. The dreaded middleman all online brands are trying to execute, ahah.
For example I read Permanent Style (which someone here was mocking for being out of touch) weekly and still find useful content despite the fact that I can't afford a fraction of what Crompton buys (and our definitions of "value" are definitely far off). I find I agree on most of his musings on proportions and many other style matters and often look for those in my more modest purchases - although I cannot help but smile at his maniacal attempts to overanalyze and formalize "tiers" of formality in more layers than the majority of people are even aware exist.

I'm working on a post about Westernwear.

It's hard to come up with CM topics because every conceivable thing has been written about to death, and it gets boring to write the same "wear a navy jacket with grey trouser" suggestion for the billionth time or talk about "how to spot quality."

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score

It's hard to come up with CM topics because every conceivable thing has been written about to death, and it gets boring to write the same "wear a navy jacket with grey trouser" suggestion for the billionth time or talk about "how to spot quality."
westernwear? Foo might ask for royalties.
cool story bro

Last edited:

SixOhNine

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Are you going to tell us what's the best denim?

Spinster Jones

Reaction score
Are you going to tell us what's the best denim?

"I’ve been looking for that perfect pair for more than a decade – even before I started working for Kanye – but I would always find issues with little things: “Oh, the pocket bag isn’t deep enough,” or “the rise is too low.” “I don’t want stretch denim, it washes strange.”"

Mark Seekings looking for the perfect pair of jeans.

The whole article reads like Foos mind; "Fast forward to June 2021, and I was working with a french shirt tailor and looking at fabrics to design my perfect pair".

"Everything – from the colorways to the denim washes – has gone through a meticulous, deeply personal design process. “I live the denim shirt”"

"There are two parts of me: the side that’s very classic, precise, meticulous, and detail-oriented, you can see that reflected in the product – in the details, the execution, and the quality. There’s also a side to me that’s very DIY, punk rock, “no rules” – and there’s very much a “come ******* try to stop me” energy surrounding all of this."

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Well I’m going back to the office for the first time next Wednesday going to wear a suit pretty sure I would be the only one, seems like most partner dump tie just shirt w/o odd jacket, though I would think if it’s investor day they probably would go back to suits

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
"I **** you not, Joe. This American in a $5,000 'punk rock' jacket called a shirtmaker in my country and asked them to make a bespoke version of a workwear shirt your country invented."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads