• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

venessian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Despite the perceived or real complexity, inanity, or stupidity of any joke I have ever made on styleforum, and regardless of anyone's ability or inability to comprehend even the basic gist:
all jokes I have made here I have made solely in reference to a living person(s) who is also a very active member here.

In that context, if those of you who think yourselves so wittily inclined could try to understand at least those two crucial circumstances, then perhaps you could also refrain from posting any further "venessian's wife" jokes. Thank you.

Last edited:

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was reading a story on how some new network game show, revolving around slip and slides, had to postpone production due to crew and contestants coming down with explosive diarrhea and I thought of this thread.

For those of you who haven’t spent half their lives on here, like I gloriously have, and you want to go down the rabbit hole of styleforum, to get a feel for the Zeitgeistthere are some requisite posters/threads you have to read (assuming they are still available). This is coming off the top of my head, so some details will be missing, but I’m sure someone will come along and fill in the blanks:

There was a “best dressed man in America” or something to that effect contest sponsored by Esquire I think. Foo joined along with others from SF. Foo made top 5 and was on Good Morning America. Voxsartoria submitted a picture of a gent from another forum in a Pith helmet and full safari gear, in his backyard. If you are asking who is voxsartoria, well that’s another rabbit hole. It’s a worthy thread to dig up.

There was a Foo “sleeve torque” controversy that went on for awhile after a member posted a picture of him wearing a bespoke suit in process. It went of the rails pretty quickly iirc.

Another great content creator was a Mr. Moo (no relation to Foo). Many of his threads/post are worthy of searching for.

There was a gentleman whose name I cannot recall, that was quite handy with the photoshop and would take posted fit pics, and either place the person in a bizarre location/situation, or change a part of their body for an inanimate object. Great thread.

Lastly (although there are many more but my finger is tired) there was a Carlo Franco that sold ties very popular with the forum. Then they started selling shirts and all hell broke loose.

Even as I write this my head is filling up with wonderful memories, posts on how to mend holes on (dirty) gym socks, using CVS medical tape to attach to your shirt collar so it can go longer between washings, a poster eviscerating SF orthodoxy of never putting anything in your sportcoat’s patch pockets (it messes up the “lines”) by placing a large fish wrapped in newspaper in his pocket etc etc.
Do you remember when someone cut up a suit jacket to show what a fully-canvassed jacket looks like? And also set it on fire.

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I was reading a story on how some new network game show, revolving around slip and slides, had to postpone production due to crew and contestants coming down with explosive diarrhea and I thought of this thread.

For those of you who haven’t spent half their lives on here, like I gloriously have, and you want to go down the rabbit hole of styleforum, to get a feel for the Zeitgeistthere are some requisite posters/threads you have to read (assuming they are still available). This is coming off the top of my head, so some details will be missing, but I’m sure someone will come along and fill in the blanks:

There was a “best dressed man in America” or something to that effect contest sponsored by Esquire I think. Foo joined along with others from SF. Foo made top 5 and was on Good Morning America. Voxsartoria submitted a picture of a gent from another forum in a Pith helmet and full safari gear, in his backyard. If you are asking who is voxsartoria, well that’s another rabbit hole. It’s a worthy thread to dig up.

There was a Foo “sleeve torque” controversy that went on for awhile after a member posted a picture of him wearing a bespoke suit in process. It went of the rails pretty quickly iirc.

Another great content creator was a Mr. Moo (no relation to Foo). Many of his threads/post are worthy of searching for.

There was a gentleman whose name I cannot recall, that was quite handy with the photoshop and would take posted fit pics, and either place the person in a bizarre location/situation, or change a part of their body for an inanimate object. Great thread.

Lastly (although there are many more but my finger is tired) there was a Carlo Franco that sold ties very popular with the forum. Then they started selling shirts and all hell broke loose.

Even as I write this my head is filling up with wonderful memories, posts on how to mend holes on (dirty) gym socks, using CVS medical tape to attach to your shirt collar so it can go longer between washings, a poster eviscerating SF orthodoxy of never putting anything in your sportcoat’s patch pockets (it messes up the “lines”) by placing a large fish wrapped in newspaper in his pocket etc etc.

What about vanity? He is one of the GOAT poasters. He used to bring girls home and wake up in the middle night to jerk off while they slept.

Here's a classic: https://www.styleforum.net/threads/another-day-on-the-vanity-diet.30686/

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Mr. Sam Gallery of Snarky Masterpieces.

That was a good thread. I miss the good humor and knowledge on old StyleForum.

venividivicibj

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The NsM shoulder controversy

Mirage-

Reaction score
Judging from people here, the more you're into CM, the more you eventually come to loathe it.
I'm here thinking of when I'll be able to have my first jacket made (MTM), and just bought my first meermin NST, and everyone's here decreeing that tailoring is dead and merely wearing a jacket is "costumy". Right after spending 40 pages debating how to wear Western attire - the irony!

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Judging from people here, the more you're into CM, the more you eventually come to loathe it.
I'm here thinking of when I'll be able to have my first jacket made (MTM), and just bought my first meermin NST, and everyone's here decreeing that tailoring is dead and merely wearing a jacket is "costumy". Right after spending 40 pages debating how to wear Western attire - the irony!

I'm in touch with about 20 people from "old StyleForum." I think about 75% of them still wear tailored clothing on a regular basis. Many have branched out, however, into other things and now have a more well-rounded wardrobe.

Very few have given up on tailoring completely (meaning, not wearing a tailored jacket outside of formal occasions).

Before the pandemic, I wore a tailored jacket about four days a week. Haven't worn tailoring more than five times since the first lockdown in March 2020. Just not many opportunities to wear "real clothes" and I'm not the kind of person to wear tailoring at home for fun. But I'm looking forward to wearing it again when things reopen in my area.

Loathing

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is tailoring now totally dead in the US? I don’t feel things have changed that materially in Europe since circa 2010 (peak Foo?). I just came back from a good restaurant in a smart part of London and everyone was wearing a shirt, trousers and what you’d call dress shoes in the US. On a weekday lots of people would be in suits. My office dress code still requires us to wear suits and black dress shoes. Probably 30% of guys wear ties daily, and always to client meetings. Some people are even wearing suits (and even ties!) on zoom calls for client meetings, even when WFH.

thatboyo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is tailoring now totally dead in the US? I don’t feel things have changed that materially in Europe since circa 2010 (peak Foo?). I just came back from a good restaurant in a smart part of London and everyone was wearing a shirt, trousers and what you’d call dress shoes in the US. On a weekday lots of people would be in suits. My office dress code still requires us to wear suits and black dress shoes. Probably 30% of guys wear ties daily, and always to client meetings. Some people are even wearing suits (and even ties!) on zoom calls for client meetings, even when WFH.

There's definitely a lot fewer suits on the subways pre COVID from my observation versus when I just started working full time. I think most offices are a lot more lax, even in traditionally conservative employers.

My own employer is a business casual, which is frankly very broad. You can do jeans but can't wear sneakers (although this seems variable dependent on team. I've seen people wear sneakers that are more low profile and no one said anything). There's like a handful of guys that do SC/trouser, most are just shirt/trouser but keep a SC in office for meetings/presentations. CEO went tie less (first I've seen) and wore the 1953 bits at all employee town hall at end of 2019 to announce a large acquisition. The Zoom town halls were also more casual dress for CEO (V neck from vineyard vines or just plain shirt). They did mention current office dress code would be adjusted once we go back into office after Labor Day but haven't specified on what that means outside of no sweatpants.

Mirage-

Reaction score

I don't know about US, I'm in Italy, and finishing university (you have no idea how boring it is in e-learning mode due to covid) although I have spent half a year in a IT job couple years ago. Back then I had no interest in classic menswear (or clothing at all actually) and still noticed there was a funny mix of people in suits (mostly client-facing jobs but not all), older people in shirts, and us developers in t-shirts or polos (and not even smart ones, just decent enough).

I'm in touch with about 20 people from "old StyleForum." I think about 75% of them still wear tailored clothing on a regular basis. Many have branched out, however, into other things and now have a more well-rounded wardrobe.

Very few have given up on tailoring completely (meaning, not wearing a tailored jacket outside of formal occasions).

Before the pandemic, I wore a tailored jacket about four days a week. Haven't worn tailoring more than five times since the first lockdown in March 2020. Just not many opportunities to wear "real clothes" and I'm not the kind of person to wear tailoring at home for fun. But I'm looking forward to wearing it again when things reopen in my area.

Glad to hear that, I did suspect that it was mostly fatigue and self-humour that often has you and others come off as totally disillusioned. I even considered making the joke that you should rename your blog Die Classic Menswear, but I assume it has to have been done already, by someone somewhen.

At present situation, I wear a shirt each time I can find any excuse to, and polos (spent a long time looking for shirt-collared ones, people must have thought me obsessed) any other time I meet with friends. And I'm already overdressed judging by the current trend for gym wear everywhere all the time, but I'm so sick of it that I don't care.

Thin White Duke

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just to add a data (counter) point -
I had a three hour layover in ATL a couple of weeks ago. The busiest airport in the world and a Delta hub so along with holidaymakers you’d expect to see numerous businessmen commuting through there too. Aside from me, I didn’t see a single man wearing a tie and only a handful wearing odd jackets with open necked shirts. Business attire seems to be open necked shirts, worsted looking strides and loafers. V-neck jumpers optional.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Staff online

Forum statistics