• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thinking of having a bespoke western shirt made-up. I have a number of Saint Laurent versions, but they are sub-optimal in fit as they are RTW. Not looking for a dressy western shirt or a dress shirt with western shirt detailing, but an honest-to-goodness denim western shirt for casual wear.

Anyone know a good maker? I’ve sent out a query to Charvet, who makes my normal dress shirts but I think I’m likely barking up the wrong tree. I also thought of Kamakura, who makes MTM OCBDs for me, but their denim is all of the dressier, more refined variety as far as I can tell.

Alternatively, who are the best RTW makers? I’ve looked at Rockmount, but quality and fit look sub-par (putting it mildly). Also, I’ve looked into Barbanera, which is a maybe.

R.O. Thornhill

Reaction score
Have you tried the Bryceland's ones? Quite long in the body, so definitely not one to wear untucked, but the make and materials are both great

R-O-T

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Have you tried the Bryceland's ones? Quite long in the body, so definitely not one to wear untucked, but the make and materials are both great

R-O-T

I have read about them. Given my height, the length does not sound promising. Ideally, I’d be able to wear both tucked and untucked.

ChasingStyle

Reaction score
Any shirt maker should be able to make one. I agree that Charvet might not be the best suited (or the best return on investment), but I've had western-like shirts made before. Where are you based?

Also agree that the Bryceland sawtooth westerner is fantastic (I own 2), but if you are having issues with RTW, this won't really solve it.

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Any shirt maker should be able to make one. I agree that Charvet might not be the best suited (or the best return on investment), but I've had western-like shirts made before. Where are you based?

Also agree that the Bryceland sawtooth westerner is fantastic (I own 2), but if you are having issues with RTW, this won't really solve it.

I’m in NYC.

Part of the challenge is sourcing the denim or finding a shirtmaker who has access to it. I don’t want highly refined denim shirting made for tailored clothing.

Last edited:

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Salvatore Piccolo or d'Avino. They have made this style for some time already and have the machines for the button snaps, which many shirtmakers don't.

ChasingStyle

Reaction score
I’m in NYC.

Party of the challenge is sourcing the denim or finding a shirtmaker who has access to it. I don’t want highly refined denim shirting made for tailored clothing.

If you are ok with working with a shirtmaker in Spain, Fernando Garcia de la Calera, owner of The Concrete in Madrid will make you one based on an existing shirt - he has plenty of fun denim that he sources himself, and he specializes in denim. He's made several shirts (and other stuff) for me.

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Screenshot_20210601-151417_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20210601-151429_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20210601-151808_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20210601-151813_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20210601-151817_Instagram.jpg

lordsuperb

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

FlyingMonkey

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With your height and build, why don't you just get something from one of the high-end Japanese denim / workwear companies? Several of them do superb western shirts and it saves the hassle of bespoke (unless it's the hassle you want...).

TheFoo

THE FOO
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
If you are ok with working with a shirtmaker in Spain, Fernando Garcia de la Calera, owner of The Concrete in Madrid will make you one based on an existing shirt - he has plenty of fun denim that he sources himself, and he specializes in denim. He's made several shirts (and other stuff) for me.

Interesting. A little worried about language barrier..

With your height and build, why don't you just get something from one of the high-end Japanese denim / workwear companies? Several of them do superb western shirts and it saves the hassle of bespoke (unless it's the hassle you want...).

What Japanese companies would you recommend?

Spoke to Charvet this morning. They are looking into it—they’ve never made a western shirt before. Also, they don’t have denim and are speaking internally about whether they would work with denim I send to them.

Which raises another question: suggestions for high quality Japanese denim fabric?

aristoi bcn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you can make Charvet make their first denim shirt in their history you will appear in the books of history and maybe also in l'Etiquette Magazine. It is worth the hassle and every penny. You can even brand it: Charvet x The Pho, now exclusively in Mr. Porter and Beige Habilleur.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads