• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Bespoke Vs. RTW suits

habanos

Reaction score
I was speaking with the man that does my alterations today and he suprised me by stating that a RTW suit is better than a bespoke suit because it will last longer and the factory the RTW suit comes from has million dollar equipment and many tailors there as opposed to one tailor doing a bespoke suit. This goes against most of what I have learned here over time (I do not own any bespoke suit so I cannot make a comparison) What are your thoughts?

erk

Reaction score
your tailor seems to be making a lot of assumptions.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As a tailor, he's a traitor

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I doubt that you are speaking with anyone of any knowledge whatever on bespoke or real tailoring. Take your business elsewhere.

Last edited:

DerekS

Guyliner
Reaction score
sounds like youre tailor isnt a tailor...but an "alterations" place. OF course he'll tell you that so youll keep buying ghitty ill fitting RTW and bringing it to him to nip and tuck. youre paying for his kids braces.

habanos

Reaction score
He claims he was a tailor in his former country but came here and started doing alterations, Unfortunately I do not have a lot of choice in regards to alterations in my area. I was just surprised to be told OTR was superior to bespoke.

JayJay

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Interesting, but a bespoke suit often fits multiple times better.

Klobber

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Depends on the bespoke maker.

The quality of the suit depends on many variables (fabric, canvassing fabric etc), including the skill of the tailor's hand and eye for details.

If you are talking high end bespoke like Rubinacci, Saville Row (i.e. Anderson Shepphard), Logsdail, Greenfield etc, then I think that alterations guy has never seen well made suits like this. If you talking about some bespoke piece from some far eastern shop near a railway station costing $500, that could be an entirely a different matter (this is conjecture on my part, I have never been to far east to be fitted for a suit).

Of course it goes without say a Bespoke suit will likely fit far better than a RTW suit - exception to rule is if the chap lost a lot of weight or gained a lot of weight causing the bespoke suit to fit poorly.

emc894

Reaction score
In my mind, the wool is the same, and will wear at the same speed. Any other problem can be repaired fairly easily.

TheTukker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Your alterations guy is correct. I assume he doesn't do any suit tailoring himself, correct?

Verniza

Reaction score

I was speaking with the man that does my alterations today and he suprised me by stating that a RTW suit is better than a bespoke suit because it will last longer and the factory the RTW suit comes from has million dollar equipment and many tailors there as opposed to one tailor doing a bespoke suit. This goes against most of what I have learned here over time (I do not own any bespoke suit so I cannot make a comparison) What are your thoughts?

He probably meant any RTW suit is better than a bespoke suit that HE makes.

habanos

Reaction score
yes, he was reffering to suits he and associates one made in their area, He is no longer a tailor.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads